The Student Room Group

History and Economics at Oxford without maths

I'm about to drop maths because I don't think I could get an A and I would like to focus on my other subjects more. Would this put me at a significant disadvantage for doing HECON at Oxford? It does say on the website that History and Maths are highly recommended, but not essential. I'm currently doing geography, hist, econ and maths.

Do you think it's worth me applying?

Thanks
Maybe, I actually took Maths 'A'-level right through to the end, even tho' I scored just 9% in the mock, (the school wanted me to drop it - but the places that I was applying for required me to have taken Pure & Applied Maths , and not necessarily to have passed it) So I took a Math tutor (mostly to placate the school) and tried to boost my score, getting either an "F" or an "E", but not an "U"

this got me in to college for a Higher TEC with full technical apprenticeship.

So you'd have to weigh up the advantages of three 'A's (with a bit of extra time) over three 'A's and a something else, B?
Oxford would certainly look at you - when I visited with a friend for their three day modern languages interview/application process to the Queens College, they were very welcoming, and repeatedly requested that everyone should try to apply for consideration. It is competitive, but not impossible.
I do know quite a few friends who have been successful and studied at Wadham, University college, the Queens College etc

check out more info on the HAT etc at this sort of TSR link https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4504190
I think it's either worth sticking with maths and improving, or rethinking the subject you're thinking about applying for. Economics at university is very maths based, and economics interviews generally test you on your maths (I don't know about HECON though). It would probably be best for you to apply for pure history or geography depending on which you would prefer to study at university. So to answer your question, I think not taking maths will put you at a disadvantage when applying to any economics related course so you need to decide whether to keep taking it or apply for something else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending