The Student Room Group

(FM1) Further mechanics 1 2019

Anyone wanna discuss the paper?
I think it went quite well except for the last question on inequalities on the collision, I couldn't work that one out and got k<-1 lol

What did you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

That paper was b o l l o c k s
Reply 2
The paper went ok in general but got stuck on question 4 😥
Idk what to think about it. I answered all the questions but idk if I did them right.
Reply 4
The first show that question got me confused af, It was 4 marks for 1 line of working and I was like surely that can't be it lol
Sameee so i tried to show all the steps but I still don't get how it was 4 marks
Original post by SadToyCats
The first show that question got me confused af, It was 4 marks for 1 line of working and I was like surely that can't be it lol
was very good tbf, couldn't do that one marker in the end that was just weird so just left it :P
Mechanics :

Q1: easy prove its 400KW
You should get speed V is 10 and another solution was -65 or something but V>0 .

Q2: slope ...... use work energy resolve the 8m etc... get speed 9.3

Q3: you should use impulse momentum restitution and get e= 7/18 or something

Q4: you should get speed of Q after collision 1 is u(1-ke)/k 1 or something ... that had to be negative to collide so 1-ke<0 k>1/e.... forgot expression for part b

these are the answers I got. can anyone tell me if I got any of them wrong
(edited 4 years ago)
same 7/18 for e
Original post by ChronoSloth
Mechanics :

You should get speed V is 10 and another solution was -65 or something but V>0 .

Q2: slope ...... use work energy resolve the 8m etc... go speed should be 9.3

Q3: you should use impulse momentum restitution and get e= 8/17 or something

Q4: you should get speed of Q after collision 1 is u(1-ke)/k+1 or something ... that had to be negative to collide so 1-ke<0 k>1/e.... forgot expression for part b

yea I may have remembered some of the values wrong
(edited 4 years ago)
for the 1 marker about the speed after the collision I did a lot of work ... it felt like it was 3-4 marks
feel like it was something that you just had to see but do no working for, it just said write down
for the 1 marker about the speed after the collision I did a lot of work ... it felt like it was 3-4 marks
Mechanics :

Q2: slope ...... use work energy resolve the 8m etc... get speed 9.3

Q3: you should use impulse momentum restitution and get e= 7/18 or something

Q4: you should get speed of Q after collision 1 is u(1-ke)/k 1 or something ... that had to be negative to collide so 1-ke<0 k>1/e.... forgot expression for part b

Yeah I agree with all of them, I can't remember what I got for 3 but it sounds about right so long as you used the 3 equations coherently you should get most of the marks.

Now that you've explained q4 it all makes sense! I didn't think about it that way at all rip, my statement was V1 > V2 in order for them to collide, but I didn't consider the direction change...

By the sounds of it you probs got all right on that paper good job
Anyone here do fmechanics 2
marks for each q?
Anyone here do fmechanics 2

yeah how did u find it
q2 was 13 and q4 was 10 for sure, the first might've been 8 then the second 9, not sure though, has to add to 40 either way
Original post by ursbhhdb
marks for each q?
Original post by Harry_Spencer
feel like it was something that you just had to see but do no working for, it just said write down

I probably took the long way... maybe a pattern or some sort cos they say mass of the other ball is Km so i think i apply the formula from part a using different speeds idk
really don't know mate, as i said i just left it cuz i thought time would be better spent elsewhere
I probably took the long way... maybe a pattern or some sort cos they say mass of the other ball is Km so i think i apply the formula from part a using different speeds idk
Yeah I agree with all of them, I can't remember what I got for 3 but it sounds about right so long as you used the 3 equations coherently you should get most of the marks.

Now that you've explained q4 it all makes sense! I didn't think about it that way at all rip, my statement was V1 > V2 in order for them to collide, but I didn't consider the direction change...

By the sounds of it you probs got all right on that paper good job

Thanks for the compliment

My friend also did that same mistake for the range of k ... if you got the speed of the ball then you probably got 8/9 marks. I did do a big mistake on the fp1 paper. I said tan x =3 has no solutions and lost some solutions to some t formula question.

Quick Reply

Latest