The Student Room Group

Pursuing Law

Hey guys,

I’m going into S6 in a couple of months and I feel like I need to make a decision as to what course I want to study in uni ASAP. For about a year and a half I’ve been torn between law, or english literature.
My higher results haven’t come out yet, but it’s likely that i’ll get AABB-AAAA. I’m also from a leaps group 1 school so my entry requirements are a little lower than normal (yay!)
Until recently, my plan was to pursue an English degree for my undergraduate and then do the accelerated LLB over two years, as my career aspiration is to be a solicitor. However my biggest worries about this plan is time. If I do an English degree first, it’ll definitely take longer as opposed to pursuing the 4 year LLB, and i’m just worried about being in uni for 7-8 years.

I’m currently torn between doing an English lit degree or a law degree for my undergrad. My question to everyone (law students especially) is: what do you enjoy the most about doing law? How do you know it’s for you?

I really hope I can make a decision by the end of summer, because i’m viciously confused atm.
Reply 1
Thanks for your reply! Yep, I’m in Scotland.

I like that viewpoint honestly. I guess there really is no one who thinks that law 100% suits them- there’s always a certain module or skill in the course that everyone will be weak at.

Ah, and the 7-8 years thing was referring to my uni education as a whole. So 4 years for my undergrad, 2 for the accelerated LLB and then about a year for the legal diploma, since I want to be a solicitor. That’s 7 years in total 😫
In England, it would only take 5 years for someone taking a non Law degree to finish the academic part of their training to become a solicitor but agree that 7 years sounds long..... I would have thought this makes the LLB route more appealing to Scottish applicants. There's no real way of knowing whether you would prefer a degree in English Lit or Law apart from continuing to research Law as much as you can and attending both subject talks at Uni Open Days.
Reply 3
Hi

Financially it's probably better just to do the 4 year LLB then Diploma than it is to take the alternative route. The LLB will be fully paid for by SAAS. The Diploma costs £8,000(ish) of which only 5.5k is covered by SAAS, leaving you to make up the difference (unless you get a firm to pay it for you).

If you do English Lit & then the accelerated then that will set you back £8k ish for each year, again, SAAS will only cover 5.5k per year. Then you have another £8k to spend on the diploma. You end up paying more, and in more debt, if you choose the accelerated route.

I would agree - nobody really knows whether law is for them until they try it. I both love it and hate it depending on the area/day of the week. It can be very dry a lot of the time, but then what degree isn't, then when you get into practice as a solicitor the hours are crazy and the pay (at the beginning) isn't great. It's really up to you to decide - but if you decide to go for it then the 4 year LLB is your best bet.

Original post by Mahira S.
Hey guys,

I’m going into S6 in a couple of months and I feel like I need to make a decision as to what course I want to study in uni ASAP. For about a year and a half I’ve been torn between law, or english literature.
My higher results haven’t come out yet, but it’s likely that i’ll get AABB-AAAA. I’m also from a leaps group 1 school so my entry requirements are a little lower than normal (yay!)
Until recently, my plan was to pursue an English degree for my undergraduate and then do the accelerated LLB over two years, as my career aspiration is to be a solicitor. However my biggest worries about this plan is time. If I do an English degree first, it’ll definitely take longer as opposed to pursuing the 4 year LLB, and i’m just worried about being in uni for 7-8 years.

I’m currently torn between doing an English lit degree or a law degree for my undergrad. My question to everyone (law students especially) is: what do you enjoy the most about doing law? How do you know it’s for you?

I really hope I can make a decision by the end of summer, because i’m viciously confused atm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending