The Student Room Group

Microbiology BSc

Hi,
I’ve been looking into what courses to study at Uni and am thinking microbiology looks very interesting.
Long story short, does anyone know if it is even worthwhile completing the degree if it is not accredited by the IBMS in terms of career prospects?
Thanks
IBMS accreditation only matters if you wish to be a Biomedical Scientist. The IBMS will not accredit a course that solely covers Microbiology. Their accreditation means the course covers a certain set of topics and this is a range of modules including Microbiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Cellular Pathology and others.
Reply 2
In the course specification it says under accreditation: “The programme has been mapped against the benchmark statements for the Royal Society of Biology (RSOB) and the Institute of Biomedical Sciences (IBMS).” Does this mean that I can register with the IBMS although it is not accredited?
Original post by RegisteredBMS
IBMS accreditation only matters if you wish to be a Biomedical Scientist. The IBMS will not accredit a course that solely covers Microbiology. Their accreditation means the course covers a certain set of topics and this is a range of modules including Microbiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Cellular Pathology and others.
A solely Microbiology degree will absolutely not meet the IBMS requirements.
Original post by PeachyBaz11
In the course specification it says under accreditation: “The programme has been mapped against the benchmark statements for the Royal Society of Biology (RSOB) and the Institute of Biomedical Sciences (IBMS).” Does this mean that I can register with the IBMS although it is not accredited?
Reply 4
Sorry, that was for the biomedical science degree, not microbiology
A solely Microbiology degree will absolutely not meet the IBMS requirements.
If it has the correct modules then you can pay the few hundred £ to have the IBMS assess it and they may say it matches. I'd be dubious about why if they claim it matches they haven't sought accreditation.
Sorry, that was for the biomedical science degree, not microbiology
Reply 6
What can I actually do with the degree if it doesn’t match?
If it has the correct modules then you can pay the few hundred £ to have the IBMS assess it and they may say it matches. I'd be dubious about why if they claim it matches they haven't sought accreditation.
If it doesn't sufficiently match they'll likely advise top-up modules (further cost) or if it's too different a new degree.
What can I actually do with the degree if it doesn’t match?
Reply 8
If I wasn’t to get IBMS registered, what are the career prospects?
If it doesn't sufficiently match they'll likely advise top-up modules (further cost) or if it's too different a new degree.
Its is only relevant to being a Biomedical Scientist which is a career working in NHS labs.
If I wasn’t to get IBMS registered, what are the career prospects?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending