The Student Room Group

Second Degree Funding

Hi there,

I see on the government website you can receive funding for a second degree if the study mode is part-time:

“You may also get limited funding if you hold an Honours degree or a higher level of qualification and start a new course. This could be a part-time Honours degree, a joint Honours degree or an Integrated Master’s degree in one of the following (or 2 if it’s a joint Honours degree):

agriculture and related subjects
architecture (if it’s a MArch RIBA Part 2 course)
biological sciences
computer science
mathematical sciences
medicine and allied subjects
physical sciences
technologies
courses leading to qualification as a veterinary surgeon“

I am interested in studying biological sciences and I have a query about a specific course, FdSc Applied Microbiology at the University Centre St Helens, validated by the University of Chester. This course can be studied both full-time or part-time, and upon completing level 4 and level 5 you have the option to enrol on the BSc (Hons) Biology programme at the University of Chester.

Would I be able to receive funding for this?

Many thanks,

Jamie
Original post by JamieC91
Hi there,

I see on the government website you can receive funding for a second degree if the study mode is part-time:

“You may also get limited funding if you hold an Honours degree or a higher level of qualification and start a new course. This could be a part-time Honours degree, a joint Honours degree or an Integrated Master’s degree in one of the following (or 2 if it’s a joint Honours degree):

biological sciences
computer science
mathematical sciences
physical sciences
technologies

I am interested in studying biological sciences and I have a query about a specific course, FdSc Applied Microbiology at the University Centre St Helens, validated by the University of Chester. This course can be studied both full-time or part-time, and upon completing level 4 and level 5 you have the option to enrol on the BSc (Hons) Biology programme at the University of Chester.

Many thanks,

Jamie

Hi @JamieC91

It's great to hear that you're interested in the Applied Microbiology course!

For funding and finance related queries we'd recommend reaching out directly to Student Finance who are best placed to provide you with the correct information.

England: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance
Wales: https://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk/contact
Scotland: https://www.saas.gov.uk/contact-us
Northern Ireland: https://www.studentfinanceni.co.uk/

Best wishes,
Becky
Original post by JamieC91
Hi there,

biological sciences
computer science
mathematical sciences
physical sciences
technologies

Many thanks,

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

This kind of course can be a part-time exception. So, if you decide to study this part-time you should be entitled to the Tuition Fee Loan for the duration. So long as the course isn't distance learning you should be entitled to a Maintenance Loan too.

I've checked our database and this course is only showing as full-time at the moment. It may be worth asking the university if they definitely plan to offer this as a part-time option.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending