The Student Room Group

PGDE - Scotland 2020 Applicants Thread!

Okay, I am super early to this but thought I would get the ball rolling and have something set up before the course opens again for applicants.

Scroll to see replies

Here's a few icebreaker questions to introduce yourselves.

Name:
Applying at:

Give as much or as little detail as you want

Also, here's a little motivator if you feel like you need a bit of inspiration.

Best of luck everyone! :party2:

Volunteer Note: Sharing of facebook isn't allowed on TSR sadly, sorry. :frown:
I’m sure your organisation will make you a great teacher! I’ll be applying for PGDE Religious Education, hoping for Strathclyde :smile:
I'm early too :smile: I'm applying to Edinburgh for the PGDE Primary. I have kids already in school so it's Edinburgh or bust for me, which is slightly nerve wracking!

Has anyone started their personal statement yet?
Reply 4
Original post by StellaLuna19
I'm early too :smile: I'm applying to Edinburgh for the PGDE Primary. I have kids already in school so it's Edinburgh or bust for me, which is slightly nerve wracking!

Has anyone started their personal statement yet?

I applied last year hun so I will just be revamping mine.

Edinburgh is super hard to get into so make sure you have a really good statement. Could you not go Dundee if you had to?
I had heard that. I've got a really good mentor at the school I'm volunteering at who has been teaching for 5 years so is relatively recent to the application process herself, so I'm lucky that way because she's happy for me to give me advice and give me opportunities in her class that will work well in my personal statement.

I've looked into Dundee but the commute is too much - up to 2 hours each way, same reason I'm not applying to Glasgow. It just wouldn't work around childcare being from 7.30-6. I wish I was able to apply to more than just Edinburgh, but it's already going to be a tough enough couple of years while we get used to me being at uni/placement without having 4 hours on the train every day, when I could have an hour and a half and get that extra time with my kids around the coursework and prep time.
Original post by lrlthn
I applied last year hun so I will just be revamping mine.

Edinburgh is super hard to get into so make sure you have a really good statement. Could you not go Dundee if you had to?
Reply 6
I'm applying for PGDE (primary) for 2020 entry :smile:

I've managed to build experience through volunteering in local primary schools and working with youth groups. I have to tweak my personal statement and I should be ready to apply :clap2:
Reply 7
thank god I'm not the only one that's already working on their application! I applied for this year intake but I never got in so I'm just re-using and updating my personal statement and the basic information on my application is basically the same but I've added in my modules now, has anybody else done that for their education section? Does it make a difference? I'm waiting on my maths results next week as I studied part-time last year for my n5... nervous!
Reply 8
I’m applying this year 🤞🏽🤞🏽
Reply 9
Can anyone tell me where I could do the relevant 80 credits to top up my finance degree & get in to teach physics?
Original post by lrlthn
Can anyone tell me where I could do the relevant 80 credits to top up my finance degree & get in to teach physics?

Surely you would need a physics degree to teach physics?
Reply 11
Original post by kirstyjmunro
Surely you would need a physics degree to teach physics?

That is what I am asking, whether there is any way around it. I can not afford to go and do another 4 year degree course.
Original post by lrlthn
That is what I am asking, whether there is any way around it. I can not afford to go and do another 4 year degree course.
Yeah as far as I’m aware you would need to do a degree. But definitely phone the unis you are interested in going to and see what advice they can give😊.
Reply 13
Hi! Im looking to apply for PGDE primary in 2020 but I'm panicking about my maths I got a c for intermediate 2 and I know it says its accepted but im still worrying its out of date
Original post by Mazzyt
Hi! Im looking to apply for PGDE primary in 2020 but I'm panicking about my maths I got a c for intermediate 2 and I know it says its accepted but im still worrying its out of date

Why not just phone up the unis you want to go to and ask. They will give you a clear answer.
Original post by Mazzyt

I wouldn't worry too much, definitely ask, but I have an O grade maths from 1988 and they said that was fine!
I submitted my application yesterday! I am early as I am in my fourth year and I work in a school, so I wanted it out the way. My current degree is History, Sociology and Education and I work at a school as a SfLA. I really hope I get in this year, I'm a mature student and I have worked so hard to get here over the last seven years!

Name: Rebecca
Specific Course: Primary (Graduate) PGDE
Applying at: Strathclyde, Glasgow, UWS, Edinburgh and Dundee
Hi! I've applied for PGDE(secondary) this year. I submitted my application as soon as UCAS 2020 Apply opened! I'm studying Chinese as a masters degree and will graduate next June, I really want to be a Chinese teacher in the future :smile: Does anyone know when can we receive the interview from uni? Many many thanks!
Reply 18
When is the best time to apply? I am a final year UG student hoping to apply for PGDE Secondary and begin in August 2020. I will obviously not receive my degree classification until June 2020 which I'm sure will be too late. Can anyone advise? :smile:
It opened on 4th September and closes 15th January, so any time between them but earlier the better I’d say! Everyone applies before they finish their degree so that doesn’t matter. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest