The Student Room Group

French A level in 1 year

I’m having a kind of existential crisis at the moment where I realised I should’ve chose French as an a level rather than physics which I hate with a passion and isn’t of much use to me (maths, f maths and econ are my other a levels- going to study econ).

Would it be insane to talk to higher ed now at the end y12 to want to change a level to a language?

In terms of my motive to study French, it’s not because I need it for the degree I want to apply to etc, but more that I think it would be more useful. The step up from GCSE (A*) seems huge though and as a language is a skill that is built up over time.... should I just stick it through w physics? I can get the grades...

Any advice?
(edited 4 years ago)
How have you only realised this now smh
You seemed to be focused on how ‘useful’ the subject will be. It’s too late for that. Just focus on getting the grades.
Reply 3
As someone who does A-level French, keep in mind you will have to learn all 12-themes, the vocabulary, complete your Independent Research Project, (IRP) which is time consuming, and cover one book and film in the space of an academic year! Balancing the extra work in the space of a year will be extremely challenging, and that is not a testament to your academic ability, but rather - ask yourself whether it is realistic?
Original post by Umaurma
I’m having a kind of existential crisis at the moment where I realised I should’ve chose French as an a level rather than physics which I hate with a passion and isn’t of much use to me (maths, f maths and econ are my other a levels- going to study econ).

Would it be insane to talk to higher ed now at the end y12 to want to change a level to a language?

In terms of my motive to study French, it’s not because I need it for the degree I want to apply to etc, but more that I think it would be more useful. The step up from GCSE (A*) seems huge though and as a language is a skill that is built up over time.... should I just stick it through w physics? I can get the grades...

Any advice?
Original post by Pat0106
As someone who does A-level French, keep in mind you will have to learn all 12-themes, the vocabulary, complete your Independent Research Project, (IRP) which is time consuming, and cover one book and film in the space of an academic year! Balancing the extra work in the space of a year will be extremely challenging, and that is not a testament to your academic ability, but rather - ask yourself whether it is realistic?

Put like that... no haha. Studying all summer w a tutor probably wouldn’t suffice either for a whole year’s worth of work. Thanks :smile:
Original post by SerenaVioletear
How have you only realised this now smh

Omg you salty toad
Original post by Umaurma
Omg you salty toad

Really the best insult you could come up with huh

Quick Reply

Latest