The Student Room Group

Stigma on not doing to University.

I'm not sure about others but for me specifically it is really expected to go to Uni, and while I fully intend to, for the right reasons, I feel like this train of thought that your success is measured if you go to Uni or not is very outdated and needs to be exposed as untrue to people who still think that success is directly related to if you do or do not attend Uni.

I can think of many people who go to Uni because it's expected of them, and whilst they may say it was 'my choice' I can't help but think that part of these people just had this thought ingrained into them from a young age and never looked at other options twice.

Comment your story.
After making this thread I started looking at apprenticeships, I'm seriously 80/20 on it now, how can I possibly live with myself in 4-5 years making around 20k after graduation with little to no savings, maybe even without a job considering the market these days, when I could have saved up almost 20k by the time I'm 20 and be working on the way up a company, 2/3 steps above the people who just graduated uni.
(edited 4 years ago)
Doesn't answer the question about whether there is a stigma.

There is one, but it depends on your community. When I was a wee lad, it was thought only the bookish softies went to uni. You looked like a dosser for going.
Reply 3
Original post by TheNamesBond.
I'm not sure about others but for me specifically it is really expected to go to Uni, and while I fully intend to, for the right reasons, I feel like this train of thought that your success is measured if you go to Uni or not is very outdated and needs to be exposed as untrue to people who still think that success is directly related to if you do or do not attend Uni.

I can think of many people who go to Uni because it's expected of them, and whilst they may say it was 'my choice' I can't help but think that part of these people just had this thought ingrained into them from a young age and never looked at other options twice.

Comment your story.

Hard to say if there is truly a stigma, however there is definitely pressure put on younger people to attend uni, mainly placed by sixth forms and colleges to improve their stats. Majority of these schools provide non or very little advice on alternatives to universities. To make matters worse, universities spend a lot on marketing to sell the image of the 'student experience' to prospective students.
You do realize degree apprenticeships are very very competitive and hard to get into.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending