Stigma on not doing to University. Watch

TheNamesBond.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm not sure about others but for me specifically it is really expected to go to Uni, and while I fully intend to, for the right reasons, I feel like this train of thought that your success is measured if you go to Uni or not is very outdated and needs to be exposed as untrue to people who still think that success is directly related to if you do or do not attend Uni.

I can think of many people who go to Uni because it's expected of them, and whilst they may say it was 'my choice' I can't help but think that part of these people just had this thought ingrained into them from a young age and never looked at other options twice.

Comment your story.
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if there exists a stigma on being intelligent and not wanting to go into debt of tens of thousands then that says more about society than you.
TheNamesBond.
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
if there exists a stigma on being intelligent and not wanting to go into debt of tens of thousands then that says more about society than you.
After making this thread I started looking at apprenticeships, I'm seriously 80/20 on it now, how can I possibly live with myself in 4-5 years making around 20k after graduation with little to no savings, maybe even without a job considering the market these days, when I could have saved up almost 20k by the time I'm 20 and be working on the way up a company, 2/3 steps above the people who just graduated uni.
Last edited by TheNamesBond.; 1 month ago
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TheNamesBond.)
After making this thread I started looking at apprenticeships, I'm seriously 80/20 on it now, how can I possibly live with myself in 4-5 years making around 20k after graduation with little to no savings, maybe even without a job considering the market these days, when I could have saved up almost 20k by the time I'm 20 and be working on the way up a company earning mm, 2/3 steps above the people who just graduated uni.
do a degree apprenticeship

you get a degree

you get paid to do the degree (not a loan!)

you get a job

no debt
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Doesn't answer the question about whether there is a stigma.

There is one, but it depends on your community. When I was a wee lad, it was thought only the bookish softies went to uni. You looked like a dosser for going.
kkboyk
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TheNamesBond.)
I'm not sure about others but for me specifically it is really expected to go to Uni, and while I fully intend to, for the right reasons, I feel like this train of thought that your success is measured if you go to Uni or not is very outdated and needs to be exposed as untrue to people who still think that success is directly related to if you do or do not attend Uni.

I can think of many people who go to Uni because it's expected of them, and whilst they may say it was 'my choice' I can't help but think that part of these people just had this thought ingrained into them from a young age and never looked at other options twice.

Comment your story.

Hard to say if there is truly a stigma, however there is definitely pressure put on younger people to attend uni, mainly placed by sixth forms and colleges to improve their stats. Majority of these schools provide non or very little advice on alternatives to universities. To make matters worse, universities spend a lot on marketing to sell the image of the 'student experience' to prospective students.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The exact expectation varies by culture

For many it's not just about 'going to uni', it's about going to the right sort of uni for the right sort of course
redbull114
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You do realize degree apprenticeships are very very competitive and hard to get into.
do a degree apprenticeship

you get a degree

you get paid to do the degree (not a loan!)

you get a job

no debt
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by redbull114)
You do realize degree apprenticeships are very very competitive and hard to get into.
so are grad schemes and grad jobs
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.77%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (73)
9.47%
No I am happy with my course choice (454)
58.88%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.88%

Watched Threads