The Student Room Group

Returning to halls- Was your experience bad?

I’m not sure whether I want to change my degree at my current uni, I had friends to live with but chose not to because I still haven’t decided what I want to do with uni. I’m thinking about going to a different uni still. But I’m worried that I’ll hate living in halls again at the same uni and the stigma around it. Also worrying that my current friends that I could’ve lived with won’t be as close if I’m not living with them.

Just really confused and don’t know what to do! The problem is that I got on well and have been close with all of my flatmates this year and can’t see how anyone could replace them living in halls again :frown: to quote one of them “it’s been like a second family”. We ate dinner together, been out partying/ daytime fun. All really close. I probably sound like I’m being too emotional but I’ll miss them way more than my course!

I’m so lost and it feels horrible. I have other friends and we don’t live together so I guess it’ll be like that and hopefully if I end up going back to uni and in halls again I’ll befriend my flatmates like this year. It’s just that I hear other people say they hate their flatmates or don’t see them at all…so I worry about the loneliness aspect.

I’m hoping if I do change degrees to strike a good balance between course friends and flatmate friends- this year I spent most of my time with flatmates and didn’t befriend any course mates- I’ll also attend societies more if I do return. But yeah!! Anyone else returned to halls and it’s been okay??
Thanks
Anon,

Why do you want to go to a different uni?

The uni that you are thinking about going to, is it near your current one?

It sounds like you have really bonded with your current friends : ) There's no reason that you can't continue those friendships!

Of course, you might not see them as much at a different university, but you could still meet on weekends or during the holidays.

Halls is a mixed bag. You will either get on really well with your flatmates, not get on well, or be pretty indifferent.

I think the main thing is appreciating that friendships can come from different places: from the people on your course, to societies that you join, to just randomly meeting people. If you are willing to get to know people, I don't think you need to worry about making new friends.

Perhaps the main thing is thinking about your reasons for switching university/your course.

What were the reasons for you doing your current course?

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending