The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Dealing with Rejection - Top Tips for Clearing.

1. Don't Panic!

If you open your A Level results and they haven’t quite gone your way, it can feel like the end of the world; trust me, I know that from first-hand experience. I know it won’t feel like it at the time, but rejection and having to go through Clearing, or a Foundation Year, is a great thing, allowing you to go down avenues that you never thought of before and to take on a new challenge. Clearing is great as it will still allow you to move on from school alongside all your other friends, just along a slightly different trajectory than you had previously planned. Having to go through Clearing or a Foundation Year is nothing to be ashamed of and is the best thing that ever happened to me. You are not a failure.
2. Make use of Swansea’s Clearing Helpline

Having someone to physically talk things through with can really help. Swansea has Clearing spaces available on a whole host of Undergraduate degrees, whether that’s in the degree area you wanted originally, or in a subject that’s completely new to you. Whilst the website is great, I thought it was important to talk to someone, whether a Student Ambassador or a member of Staff, and to work things through with them. It was talking to a lecturer on A Level Results Day that made me convinced that Swansea was the place for me. The number is 0808 175 3071.
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
3. You can still get accommodation and experience halls.

One of the common misconceptions about Clearing is that you can’t get a place in halls or university accommodation. At Swansea you can. You can still have that amazing Fresher’s week experience and make friendships in halls that will last a lifetime.
4. Don’t worry about what others think of Clearing or Foundation Years.

There is no stigma about Clearing or Foundation Years. Once you have started at university, the playing field is level. Nobody cares about what you did for A Levels, your grades, or your route into university. Nobody has ever judged me for doing a Foundation Year or coming through Clearing, if anything people have respected my determination for my end goal, medicine. Check out our original content on ‘Clearing and Foundation Years: Removing the Stigma!’
5. Stay Calm and Make a Pros and Cons List.

Weigh up all your options. Going through Clearing doesn’t mean that you don’t still have options/a choice, you do! Do what is right for you.
6. Everything Happens for a Reason.

I’m a big believer in the fact that everything happens for a reason. If your A Level grades mean you didn’t get into university and you need a little help through Clearing and/or a Foundation Year, your initial plan wasn’t meant to be. It’s just a sign to encourage you to alter your plans and take a different path in life. You can do this. You can be successful in your chosen field and achieve your dreams, whether that’s through the traditional route or not. I am still living my dreams in studying Graduate Entry Medicine, even if I didn’t take the most straightforward route to get there.

Hope Henry Swansea Student Ambassador and Second Year Graduate Entry Medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest