The Student Room Group

Looking to study English and creative writing

In the process of looking for a university that offers English literature with creative writing would appreciate any feedback please
Reply 1
Original post by Lucya949
In the process of looking for a university that offers English literature with creative writing would appreciate any feedback please

Hello! I have a degree in creative writing. Are you looking for particular universities or general guidance? Although I completed mine in the US, I have been exploring options at UK universities and would be happy to share which ones look the most promising for what your are looking to do.

Best,

Azalea
Reply 2
Hello,

I’m looking for some guidance please, that would be great thank you, Lucy
Reply 3
Hello,

I’m looking for some guidance please, that would be great thank you, Lucy

When looking at programs, definitely look into the faculty. If you already know what genre you want to work in, it’s a great way to see if the university has people experienced in that form. Where do alumni end up? This can give a hint at the kind of training the program give. Look at the events calendar for readings. What kind of writers do they attract? This can give you some idea of the program’s reputation. It can also show you if alumni are willing to come back to present their work (I’d be concerned if they never do). It is also important to see how your work will be evaluated. Some open days have faculty in attendance, so definitely attend those. If they are present, they are often willing to send extra materials such as in depth module descriptions, which are way more helpful than the webpage. If able, see if you can find graduates of the program on LinkedIn and ask them about their experience. This can be a little scary, but in my experience most people are willing to answer a few questions, especially if you have something in common (same hometown, favorite genre/author, etc.).

Opportunities outside of the classroom are also important. See if the school has an active literary journal and newspaper. This can give you opportunities to publish your work, and great editorial experience if you join the staff. Does the program encourage internships or short placements? I don’t know what your career plans are, but whether it is publishing, writing, or business focused, work experience will help you tremendously when you graduate. I don’t know if the UK has the same stigma, but in the US there is a perception that studying English and creative writing is majoring in starvation. It’s not true (in the US, at least, humanities degrees make more money over a lifetime than tech). You’ll want to get ahead of the perception and prove your career skills while you’re in university, or even before if you find volunteer activities.
I’m sure I’ll think of more tips after I send this, but if you have any questions feel free to reply or DM me.
Have you find some universities that excited you, yet?

Hi Lucy!

So glad you're looking to study literature and creative writing!
At University of Suffolk we have this BA programme: https://www.uos.ac.uk/study/ba-english/
I would very much advise you to read the course structure and modules offered, because you will see that while Year 1 is more general literature study, in Year 2 you can chose a pathway solely on creative writing and then in Year 3 you have an independent project. It's one of the more unique courses, I think in terms of English.

And I don't know if you're looking for just undergraduate programmes, but I will also put a link for the MA for Creative and Critical Writing: https://www.uos.ac.uk/study/ma-creative-critical-writing/

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me on here or check out our Uni on the Unibuddy app.

Milena 🙂
Creative and Critical Writing MA at Uni of Suffolk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending