The Student Room Group

OCR MATHS PURE + STATS A-LEVEL official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CALLUM2412
Yes! Just assumed my method was wrong

Proof: difference of 2 squares
Binomial: you made x 0.01 and then divided it by root of 1/100 to find root 103
I think that's what I should've done, seems right enough, didn't realise at the moment :/
Original post by Adiej12
What you had to do it use 0.01 so then it was (1.03)^0.5 then it’s sqrt(103)/10 so just time the answer by 10. I started with 34 and realised it was wrong
Reply 22
Yeh that’s what I did. And didn’t work for k=1 because 3x1
Original post by NihilisticBear
I did proof by contradiction, assume that it was prime, then I said, let n=2k, where k greater than 2, then I put 2k into the equation 2^n - 1, which simplified to (2^k+1)(2^k-1), which was a product of 2 numbers, so not prime, so basically I said by contradiction, that her statement was correct
Reply 23
I don’t think a lot of people got that question though so you should be ok
I think that's what I should've done, seems right enough, didn't realise at the moment :/
I think I got 4.5 for standard deviation of 62 - 72 with mean 67g question. Just realised this is wrong as i did p(X<62) = 0.125 rather than = 0.25 ( it was 25% either side not 12.5% - stupid mistake)
I got p = 0.068 for the prob mass < 530g question
Was r for the volume question 1.52? I forgot to sub back in to get Volume.
I got reject H0 for pollutant question as 0.04something... > 0.025
Proof if n is even, then 2^n - 1 is not prime. if even: n = 2k, so (2^2k) - 1: (2^k + 1)(2^k - 1), so as k> 1 then these are factors not equal to 1 or 2^2k -1, thus not prime.
Couldnt do the subsitution question... subbed through then tried using discriminant but still didnt end up with correct x values.
n = 1239 for last stats question
Integration of the polynomial P(x) denominator was 1/4ln(p(x)) + c
(edited 4 years ago)
for the integral of u = sqrt(x)-1, did anyone get, 2(sqrt(x)-1) + 2ln(sqrt(x)-1) + c?
Did anyone get 5.20 for the volume?

I did
Yeah thats what i got
The range value of K for the probability of young people vs old people in said something like 1/6 <= k <= 3
Not sure why again

And why would the data be useful for university students? (1)
And is it reliable? (2)

for the integral of u = sqrt(x)-1, did anyone get, 2(sqrt(x)-1) + 2ln(sqrt(x)-1) + c?
I got 1/4ln(p(x)) + c? I don't know whos wrong here
Original post by alexmatt101
I think I got 4.5 for standard deviation of 62 - 72 with mean 67g question. Just realised this is wrong as i did p(X<62) = 0.125 rather than = 0.25 ( it was 25% either side not 12.5% - stupid mistake)
Proof if n is even, then 2^n - 1 is not prime. if even: n = 2k, so (2^2k) - 1: (2^k + 1)(2^k - 1), so as k> 1 then these are factors not equal to 1 or 2^2k -1, thus not prime.
Couldnt do the subsitution question... subbed through then tried using discriminant but still didnt end up with correct x values.
Integration of the polynomial P(x) denominator was 4ln(p(x)) + c
Sorry, yeah thats right - i did do 1/4 ln(p(x)) +c
I got 1/4ln(p(x)) + c? I don't know whos wrong here
for the one where you had to use the substitution of u to find the polynomials, did anyone get x = 1/2 and x = -1/3? and reject the others because the discriminant was less that 0
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah I did. Not sure I mentioned about rejecting, might drop a mark for that.
for the one where you had to use the substitution of u to find the polynomials, did anyone get x = 1/2 and x = -1/3? and reject the others because the discriminant was less that 0
Do you include 99 in the calculation for mean as it was an outlier
Reply 33
Does anyone know whether the grade boundaries are likely to be higher or lower than last years?
I did. But then my reason for median being better than men was because it reduces the risk of outliers skewing the results.
Original post by sarunthan87
Do you include 99 in the calculation for mean as it was an outlier
I did. But then my reason for median being better than men was because it reduces the risk of outliers skewing the results.

Same - I thought it would be a bit counterintuitive to discount it and then say in the reason it’s included
Original post by Nearfar
Does anyone know whether the grade boundaries are likely to be higher or lower than last years?

Slightly lower overall, because last year’s papers were easier in my opinion and were saturated by further maths students who made up a large majority of the exam takers. This year, they make up a really small proportion. Also, lots of people seem to have found the pure difficult
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by alexmatt101
Integration of the polynomial P(x) denominator was 1/4ln(p(x)) + c

for the hypothesis test about pollutants, it was accept H0 because you just said it urself 0.04something is bigger than 0.025 sig level for 2 tailed test. And you only reject H0 if the significance level is higher than the p-value. so you reject h1 and accept h0 as mean hasn't changed as value is not in the significance area of 0 to 0.025
is it just me who got 1238 for the last one because when I subbed in 1239 back into the equation, the probability was slight greater than 0.025 when it said it had to be less than 0.025?
Original post by faiza_lovex
is it just me who got 1238 for the last one because when I subbed in 1239 back into the equation, the probability was slight greater than 0.025 when it said it had to be less than 0.025?

Sounds like you may have rounded something or changed one number in your calculation or something

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending