The Student Room Group

Small School A Level Exam Rant

I really do love my school, honest. It's the little things they do that annoy me so much!

As normal, all the school from yr 11 up has been on study leave for the last two/three weeks, and as always, I was expecting our exams to be in either the main hall, or the other hall. Well, no, not this year it would seem.

For some reason, in their infinite wisdom they've decided to do the mock GCSEs for year 10s this week and next week, so A level and AS exams are being moved to different rooms - Language rooms where the desks fold out as computers and worst of all, the dark and tiny drama studio. Not being funny, you can only fit about 15 desks in there anyway, and it's a fire risk because you can't space them out enough to have wide isles that people can get through in a hurry.

My question is why have they decided to add more students taking exams into what is, every year, an already stressful and cramped situation :rolleyes:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
kiss_me_now9
I really do love my school, honest. It's the little things they do that annoy me so much!

As normal, all the school from yr 11 up has been on study leave for the last two/three weeks, and as always, I was expecting our exams to be in either the main hall, or the other hall. Well, no, not this year it would seem.

For some reason, in their infinite wisdom they've decided to do the mock GCSEs for year 10s this week and next week, so A level and AS exams are being moved to different rooms - Language rooms where the desks fold out as computers and worst of all, the dark and tiny drama studio. Not being funny, you can only fit about 15 desks in there anyway, and it's a fire risk because you can't space them out enough to have wide isles that people can get through in a hurry.

My question is why have they decided to add more students taking exams into what is, every year, an already stressful and cramped situation :rolleyes:

I would imagine this is a question better aimed at your school.
I'm almost sure I read that desks must be placed at least 1m away from eachother in every direction on the exam board rules.. So it couldn't be that bad of a fire risk, could it??

Also, make a complaint. Tell them how it is stupid to put mocks before the real thing. See what they have to say back.
Reply 3
They'd probably tell me that 'they have to consider all the pupils at once'. :rolleyes:

If desks do have to be 1m away from any others, then I don't see how they can be using it as an exam room - It's probably no bigger than your average classroom.
Reply 4
Why do year 10s do mocks now?
Don't they do their mocks in year 11 as well?
Reply 5
I think they need to sort their priorities out. mock gcse's getting the heads up over A/As exams?! that's madness.

Complain, simple as.

even if they wont change it for you, it will give them something to think about next year so your at least helping some one.
Reply 6
Because they're strange. My school seems to have the approach of if you haven't got a 'proper' test to scare the pupils with in every year, you're doing it wrong. :p:
Reply 7
That does seem strange, our school still does mocks for year 10 but they start when external ones finish so theres no clashes with using the hall. I mean GCSES do most of their exams in the gym but thats only cos A-levels get priority.
Kiss me now...it sounds like my school, although they have the sense to make lower school do there exams in the class room, ahhh the joys of 10 week tests!
Reply 9
All of my exams so far have been in the hall along with a load of other exams from different years. Most of the others have ended before ours, so we are told by the invigilators to stop writing whilst they send everyone out of the hall, which breaks your momentum. I would rather they put us in a small room on our own than have this system.

Also, is it just me or are invigilators purposefully annoying? In the English exam today one woman clumsily kicked my pencilcase, which was on the floor, and then proceeded to bend down to pick it up waving her backside directly in my face. I can't concentrate on writing about the clever intricacies of Hamlet's figurative dialogue with that thing confronting me.

Could you imagine marrying an invigilator, they'd have a habit of peering at you constantly whilst eating your crunchy nut cornflakes, timing the length of your showers and urging you to do everything "in silence", even if you're cutting the hedge with a chainsaw. Control freaks.

Another thing that bugs me about exams is the way they whisk your paper away as soon as the time is up, leaving you with no chance to read or reflect on what you have written, even if you can't change it. Also, I would question the wisdom of having two clocks in the hall reading two different times and writing the official start and end times on the board in size 2 font, requiring a telescope to read it.

Also, the chief examiner at my college has a large, protruding chin which I have mild obsession with; every time I settle down to begin a paper I can't get the damn thing out of my head: "In this extract, Shakespeare uses chin to show Hamlet's chin towards his mother chin." etc. I'm pretty sure I subconsciously slipped a chin during my General Studies paper. It probably wouldn't have damaged my marks on that one to be fair.
Reply 10
That's why it's ace going to a sixth-form where it's all A-level fever and no young 'uns >.<

I think you should complain too, but if they do it every year it can't be that bad?

Might not be as distracting as when your sat in a big echoing hall with scribbling pencils everywhere and you're panicking thinking "omg they're all writing so much more than me!" lol :biggrin:

Emma
xx
In my classics yesterday, I made it plainly obvious that I needed an additional sheet of paper (ruffled the answer book, turned it over so they could see the first page), stuck my hand up well in time, and I still had to wait a minute until the invigilator who was staring right at me got up and came over, minus any paper. :biggrin:

ETA - Emma, this is the first year I've heard of them doing it. I had year 10s doing mock chemistry in my classics exam, I saw several mobile phones being taken out!
Reply 12
Delphsider
All of my exams so far have been in the hall along with a load of other exams from different years. Most of the others have ended before ours, so we are told by the invigilators to stop writing whilst they send everyone out of the hall, which breaks your momentum. I would rather they put us in a small room on our own than have this system.

Also, is it just me or are invigilators purposefully annoying? In the English exam today one woman clumsily kicked my pencilcase, which was on the floor, and then proceeded to bend down to pick it up waving her backside directly in my face. I can't concentrate on writing about the clever intricacies of Hamlet's figurative dialogue with that thing confronting me.

Could you imagine marrying an invigilator, they'd have a habit of peering at you constantly whilst eating your crunchy nut cornflakes, timing the length of your showers and urging you to do everything "in silence", even if you're cutting the hedge with a chainsaw. Control freaks.

Another thing that bugs me about exams is the way they whisk your paper away as soon as the time is up, leaving you with no chance to read or reflect on what you have written, even if you can't change it. Also, I would question the wisdom of having two clocks in the hall reading two different times and writing the official start and end times on the board in size 2 font, requiring a telescope to read it.

Also, the chief examiner at my college has a large, protruding chin which I have mild obsession with; every time I settle down to begin a paper I can't get the damn thing out of my head: "In this extract, Shakespeare uses chin to show Hamlet's chin towards his mother chin." etc. I'm pretty sure I subconsciously slipped a chin during my General Studies paper. It probably wouldn't have damaged my marks on that one to be fair.

We have an invigilator who always has to say the '10 minutes remaining' thing she cuts the others off if they try and say it, and really relishes doing it, its really annoying cos everytime she does and looks so pleased with herself you cant help but laugh even if its the point in the exam where you should be concentrating the most.
Reply 13
Delphsider

haha and there's always one in a swishy coat that swishes every time they bloody move!

And other students who are late that come in to the hall in HIGH HEELS that click click click all the way down to t'other end of room lol

I get distracted by the simplest things >.<
Reply 14
kiss_me_now9

ETA - Emma, this is the first year I've heard of them doing it. I had year 10s doing mock chemistry in my classics exam, I saw several mobile phones being taken out!

In that case you should complain also at the fact you didn't get your mock in the hall!! lol
That's silly, how can a mock get priority over a final A-level exam?

We didn't even have mock exams in my high school :frown: Just a booklet of questions to do at home :biggrin:
I can't be bothered to complain, I'm just annoyed that my last exam is going to be in the language listening room - It's really not the best place for a written exam. Plus I've always associated it with German, so I'll be thinking german thoughts!
mmanj
We have an invigilator who always has to say the '10 minutes remaining' thing she cuts the others off if they try and say it, and really relishes doing it, its really annoying cos everytime she does and looks so pleased with herself you cant help but laugh even if its the point in the exam where you should be concentrating the most.

You reminded me, the same woman who assaulted my pencil case earlier in the exam decided to interrupt my frantic scribbling by shoving her hand between my eyes and my paper with five fingers out: "five minutes" she parped. I swear she was snooping over my shoulder beforehand, saw I was on a good point and pounced at that very moment. She took enormous pleasure in doing this. If I find out where she lives I'll go round there and steal her copy of the Radio Times.
Reply 17
id rather do my exams somwhere small rather than at my college.

general studies is a joke..... 242 of us in the sports hall, 150+ in the hall, 100 in the study room then god knows how many in countless other classrooms.

besides that most exams are in the sports hall. bearing in mind you can have 6 ish exams going on in there at any one time, each finishing at a different time so you have people walking past you constantly.

besides that though i do hand it to them, organising 1200 as/a level students cant be easy.
mmanj

I actually saw that woman when I was working in a shop that weekend, 'accidently' nearly charged her £440 for a newspaper and chocolate bar.

"Can the shop candidate inform me whether this news vendor sells Invigilators Monthy?"

"No."

"No talking, you are under examination conditions. Please write it with a black ball-point pen, the paper reference is 'IWG3'."
Reply 19
Just pure :biggrin: at the idea of 'Invigilators Monthly'

Ten ways to perfect that steely frown.
The secrets behind ridiculously good time-keeping.
How not to drop test papers.
etc.

Have you ever caught your invigilators playing games?

I get really paranoid when they stand next to my desk, its either battleships, or stand next to the ugliest kid.

Theres also the stand next to the person whos most likely to fail the exam, which requires a bit more skill.

And then invigilator chicken, where they both walk down the aisle towards eachother, personally never seen a collision though.

Latest