The Student Room Group

Remarking A level history paper

I've just received my A-level results and I'm one mark off an A* in OCR History. Is it worth sending it off for a remark? Has anyone gotten a remark before and have any pearls of wisdom? Have I got a good shot at it going up? My school hasn't been useful unfortunately.
Original post by patricia786
I've just received my A-level results and I'm one mark off an A* in OCR History. Is it worth sending it off for a remark? Has anyone gotten a remark before and have any pearls of wisdom? Have I got a good shot at it going up? My school hasn't been useful unfortunately.

So first thing is that "remarks" are actually called a review of marking. It's a check that exam boards do to make sure the exam board has followed the correct processes and calculated your grade correctly. It's not where they will look at your answers and re-evaluate them.

If you are close to the grade above in a subject, it may be worth getting a review of marking and you need to speak to your school about this. If you are close to the grade below, getting a review of marking can be risky because there is a small chance that your marks can be lowered.

Most grades will stay the same, some go up and a small amount may go down. The first thing that you need to do is talk about this to your school. One question, is university your next step?
Reply 2
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
So first thing is that "remarks" are actually called a review of marking. It's a check that exam boards do to make sure the exam board has followed the correct processes and calculated your grade correctly. It's not where they will look at your answers and re-evaluate them.

If you are close to the grade above in a subject, it may be worth getting a review of marking and you need to speak to your school about this. If you are close to the grade below, getting a review of marking can be risky because there is a small chance that your marks can be lowered.

Most grades will stay the same, some go up and a small amount may go down. The first thing that you need to do is talk about this to your school. One question, is university your next step?

Yep, university is the plan. Like I mentioned, I'm just one mark off so I was hoping a review could potentially move it up. I've talked to my school and they basically said it's your choice.
Original post by patricia786
Yep, university is the plan. Like I mentioned, I'm just one mark off so I was hoping a review could potentially move it up. I've talked to my school and they basically said it's your choice.

Will the remark potentially change your uni choice or options? Sorry I'm not sure if these are A-level results or if you're in Y12?
Reply 4
Have you missed out on your firm choice because of this? If not, I really don't think it's worth having it remarked. I get that it would feel better to say you got an A* over an A, but if it doesn't actually change anything for your university choices then it'll just be a waste of time, and money - you have to pay for it, unless you go up by a whole grade.

Also don't forget that it can go down as well as up. I had an AS paper remarked (some years ago now) and it went up by 2 marks for one section and down by 2 for another, so it actually stayed the same.

Quick Reply

Latest