The Student Room Group

environmental science a level?

My current choices are Bio/Chem/Geography/Computer science, but I'm beginning to have doubts about Computer science just because of the course. I absolutely love Geography (although I won't take it to further study) so I was thinking of 'filling the gap' with Environmental studies, but idk. Do you think it's worth it? Also, I've heard it's a 'soft' subject + isn't very respected, so I'd probably enjoy it, so does it matter? Again, probably not going to use it (I want to do biologu/biomedicine further)
I know I can drop my 4th at AS but I might not so I want to make a good choice.
Original post by telkov
My current choices are Bio/Chem/Geography/Computer science, but I'm beginning to have doubts about Computer science just because of the course. I absolutely love Geography (although I won't take it to further study) so I was thinking of 'filling the gap' with Environmental studies, but idk. Do you think it's worth it? Also, I've heard it's a 'soft' subject + isn't very respected, so I'd probably enjoy it, so does it matter? Again, probably not going to use it (I want to do biologu/biomedicine further)
I know I can drop my 4th at AS but I might not so I want to make a good choice.

If you think you'd enjoy it, then go for it. Of course there are potentially more 'relevant' subjects you could be taking (e.g. Maths/Physics) but if those aren't options you're considering then going with Environmental Science sounds fine. You've got the two main subjects that you need, and that's the most important thing.
Hi Telkov, so happy that you are considering to study such a beautiful subject. Although I can't answer your questions or doubts about computer science I can definitely reassure you that Environmental Science is far from a soft subject. AQA reassessed the curriculum and changed it to a more science based course, really taking into account all three sciences and mixing them in.

Environmental Science also sets you up for careers across Geography and Environmental based paths such as Conservation. You still get the chance to experience practicals too however there is no write up like there is in Biology or Chemistry. If you choose to go down a bio course having Environmental Science can be good for personal statements as they allow for more in depth knowledge of certain subject areas.

If you need any answers to anything, feel free to drop me a message!

Owen :smile:
hi can i ask I am currently going to Sixth form college, I would like to study A level chemistry and biology, but can I take environmental sience as a third subject or would this be suitable for medical university? should I choose another third subject?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending