The Student Room Group

stuck with my alevels

i'm trying to choose my alevels for september, and i'm confident that i want to do physics, maths and further maths. only thing is i can't settle on a 4th subject (which i need to take fmaths). any advice on what to go with?i'm no good at chemistry and i was thinking maybe an essay based subject is a good choice? not really sure

Scroll to see replies

computer science? do you know what you want to do at uni
Original post by el474
i'm trying to choose my alevels for september, and i'm confident that i want to do physics, maths and further maths. only thing is i can't settle on a 4th subject (which i need to take fmaths). any advice on what to go with?i'm no good at chemistry and i was thinking maybe an essay based subject is a good choice? not really sure

Well if your confident you dont want to take Chem, its an open list really. I would base your decision on what you want to do after A-levels.

but potentially an essay subject, business, economics, IT....
whatever you are interested in, or you could try and find a softer subject you can easily nail high marks in.
Reply 3
Original post by mnot
Well if your confident you dont want to take Chem, its an open list really. I would base your decision on what you want to do after A-levels.

but potentially an essay subject, business, economics, IT....
whatever you are interested in, or you could try and find a softer subject you can easily nail high marks in.

well i'm interested in physics or astrophysics at uni, my prospects are oxbridge and kings college. only thing is, i was considering film studies alevel cause i could nail an a*, but is it facilitating? or is it best for me to struggle through something else like economics or a language?
Original post by anoymous77
computer science? do you know what you want to do at uni

Is computer science difficult? I’m in the exact same situation as OP, same 3 alevels but unsure on the fourth. My school has a great geography department and not so great computer science department, but I definitely am more interested in computer science.
Original post by el474
well i'm interested in physics or astrophysics at uni, my prospects are oxbridge and kings college. only thing is, i was considering film studies alevel cause i could nail an a*, but is it facilitating? or is it best for me to struggle through something else like economics or a language?

if u want to study physics, economics or a language wont help your degree, and wont help your admissions either, so only do that subject if you want to do as a passing interest.
Obviously Chemistry would be the most helpful but you don't want to do that...

Maybe a coding subject if A-level computer science is available (physics will require you to do this in your degree)

If not just find a subject you can smash, to apply to Oxbridge having an extra A* a level matters...
I would do a language because it will look so good in your personal statement but also just a good skill to have in general.
Do one like French or Spanish and there easier then mandarin or somthing.
Reply 7
Original post by mnot
if u want to study physics, economics or a language wont help your degree, and wont help your admissions either, so only do that subject if you want to do as a passing interest.
Obviously Chemistry would be the most helpful but you don't want to do that...

Maybe a coding subject if A-level computer science is available (physics will require you to do this in your degree)

If not just find a subject you can smash, to apply to Oxbridge having an extra A* a level matters...

i haven't done computer science gcse and everyone i know hated it, so i think i'll stick with something i can get an a* in. thanks
Reply 8
Original post by Maximus 190
Is computer science difficult? I’m in the exact same situation as OP, same 3 alevels but unsure on the fourth. My school has a great geography department and not so great computer science department, but I definitely am more interested in computer science.

try sticking with what you enjoy, but if you struggle within the first month or so they should let you change alevels? most sixth forms/colleges let you do that at the start of the year
Reply 9
Economics isn't very challenging. If you are considering it, maybe it'll be a good 4th option because I don't think you'll have much difficulty with it and it still looks quite good.

source: I did it myself :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Delilah23
I would do a language because it will look so good in your personal statement but also just a good skill to have in general.
Do one like French or Spanish and there easier then mandarin or somthing.

i did german gcse, i'm not sure how well i've done (i got a 6 in my mock). only thing is it seems strenuous and i already feel overwhelmed at the thought of physics and double maths
I was in a similar situation when I chose my A levels. I knew I wanted to take maths and physics and I didn't know what to pick for my last subject and I picked Biology. Best decision ever. Trust me - when you do so much mathsy stuff it's nice to switch it up with some other subject that at least includes some good words and definitions. I also thought I would like biology the least but it turns out to be my favourite. Another science is reeeally useful. So if you don't like Chemistry, Biology might be the next best option. Although computer science is also good. You said you were considering film studies - from what I've heard it is fun but really time-consuming. I don't know anyone who has taken four A-levels that includes an art subject, because it seems you will never have enough time to sleep or function as a basic human being.
Original post by el474
i did german gcse, i'm not sure how well i've done (i got a 6 in my mock). only thing is it seems strenuous and i already feel overwhelmed at the thought of physics and double maths

If you already knkw some German and over the summer you could try to become some what fluent in it then when it comes to a level you shouldn’t need to work to hard.
I take physics and it is a lot of work but hard work and perseverance from the start of year 12 will get you the grades you deserve.
You seem very ambitious and you seem to know what you want so keep going and work hard as the reward in the end will be great
Definitely, do not do media studies if you want to go to top uni's - it's not facilitating and it's blacklisted by most. For oxbridge, it's probably best to do another science subject eg chemistry, computer science (not ICT) or biology.

If not, another facilitating subject will do. Facilitating subjects: modern foreign languages, history, English lit, economics, geography, RS, economics
Original post by Maximus 190

I think it's difficult from what I have heard, but I don't do it personally. It's a well respected a level by universities so if you enjoy it you should do it. If you are interested and motivated you can get a good grade even if your school department is not great.
Reply 15
Definitely, do not do media studies if you want to go to top uni's - it's not facilitating and it's blacklisted by most. For oxbridge, it's probably best to do another science subject eg chemistry, computer science (not ICT) or biology.

If not, another facilitating subject will do. Facilitating subjects: modern foreign languages, history, English lit, economics, geography, RS, economics

the thing is, if i have top marks in my three other subjects will it really matter? any other subject wouldn't be relevant for my chosen course anyway
Reply 16
Does anyone know if physics a level is like really hard ?
Original post by el474
the thing is, if i have top marks in my three other subjects will it really matter? any other subject wouldn't be relevant for my chosen course anyway

A lot of top universities for example oxbridge do not count further maths as a full other A level so the fourth does count.
Reply 18
A lot of top universities for example oxbridge do not count further maths as a full other A level so the fourth does count.

i've been reading the cambridge website, and it says they do consider further maths a full alevel if it is appropriate to the course you apply for. it also says that non-relevant subjects are only considered in the sense that they show a candidate has other skills.
Reply 19
Original post by Cait12x
Does anyone know if physics a level is like really hard ?

i don't know myself since i haven't started yet, but my college only recommends it if you got an 8 or higher at gcse, but does accept grade 7 students also.

Quick Reply

Latest