The Student Room Group

Switching and swapping units for f.maths/maths

Hello,

just to confirm

c1-c4 can only be used in the maths a-level

and

fp1 - fp3 can only be used in the f.maths a-level?

But is it okey to swap and switch the s1,s2,s3,d1 etc.

So say I got 360 in my c1-c4 topics, could I not select my two worse grades in s1 etc. to bump that up to 480 (for a low A) and then put the high scoring ones into my further maths?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, that's exactly what you do. And what I'm hoping to do.
Reply 2
Oh. Sorry for the double post but for the applied modules (for normal Maths) you have to use like:
M1, S1
S1, D1
M1, D1
M1, M2
S1, S2
D1, D2
And you can't do things like S1 and M2. And nothing ending in 3, 4 or 5.
Reply 3
Edexcel has S3 and M3?
Reply 4
Yep. They have:
C1-4
FP1-3
D1-2
S1-4
M1-5
Reply 5
they have m1-5 and s1-4
Reply 6
So they won't get arsey if say

I put s3 and m3 into my a-level maths and kept the easier s1/m1 etc. into my f.maths?
Reply 7
As long as you dont cash in your Maths A-Level, you can do as many units as you want, and the best 12 will be put forward as your two A-Levels (Maths and Further) good thing about taking Further, as you learn, you re-sit and improve :biggrin:
Reply 8
just out of curiosity then, whats the point of M5? in what way would M5 be able to be done, because surely its not possible to do M5 and all the allowed combinations to be picked?
Reply 9
If you wanted to do maths and say mechanics, you could do that instead of taking the further maths course.
Reply 10
Yea, D1,S1,S2,M1,M2 are interchangeable, I think edexcel fix it so you get the best grade in both, not 100% sure tho.
Bugzy

I put s3 and m3 into my a-level maths and kept the easier s1/m1 etc. into my f.maths?

You can't do that; you have to have the lower numbered applied modules in A-level Maths (I think the term is that you have to have 'progression').

mfc20
just out of curiosity then, whats the point of M5? in what way would M5 be able to be done, because surely its not possible to do M5 and all the allowed combinations to be picked?

M5 can be used, for example:
Maths: C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, M2
Further Maths: FP1, FP2, FP3, M3, M4, M5
Reply 12
What they do is make your lowest possible A grade in regular maths and then use the other modules for futher maths
Bugzy

They will get arsey. You aren't allowed to do that, I would if I could, but its not possible. You can only have the "2" units in normal maths if you have the same 1 unit as well. Any 3 units have to go in FMaths. And FP units are all FMaths. Also you are only allowed, I think, one unit in FMaths which is "1" as in D1, S1, M1, you can only have one of them as part of your Fmaths. I am not entirely sure, but I think that is how it is.

mfc20

People who do only mechanics in all of their maths and Fmaths will do M5.
People who do Additional FMaths, basically take all the 18 modules so they will be doing M5. So there is a point to it, and there are enough people sitting it for the exam to be run, so its not a rarity.
The Sherminator
Also you are only allowed, I think, one unit in FMaths which is "1" as in D1, S1, M1, you can only have one of them as part of your Fmaths. I am not entirely sure, but I think that is how it is.

I wasn't aware that this was the case, I thought that something like the following is allowed:
Further Maths: FP1, FP2, D1, S1, S2, M3
Because it still has 'progression'.
It's also possible that M5 might not be M4 dependent. On the old system, you did not need P5 in order to do P6. They were of equal difficulty, they just had different material in them as it was waaaay too much to just put in one module.
alex_hk90
I wasn't aware that this was the case, I thought that something like the following is allowed:
Further Maths: FP1, FP2, D1, S1, S2, M3
Because it still has 'progression'.

Hmmm... I might be wrong then.
Because you only have to do 2 FP modules isn't it, which means you have to either do 2 "3" applied modules or take a new module type. So I guess you might be right.
The Sherminator
Hmmm... I might be wrong then.
Because you only have to do 2 FP modules isn't it, which means you have to either do 2 "3" applied modules or take a new module type. So I guess you might be right.

I hope so as that is the combination that I want to use, as it would mean that I only need around 100 UMS between FP1 and FP2. :biggrin:
alex_hk90
I hope so as that is the combination that I want to use, as it would mean that I only need around 100 UMS between FP1 and FP2. :biggrin:

Hmm... lucky :p:
I need a bit more than that, but hopefully not a whole lot more, if M3 went worse than I think it did, then might need really high scores, hopefully decent results will be enough.
Edexcel says this:

"Further Pure Mathematics units FP1, FP2, FP3 and a further three Applications units (excluding
C1—C4) to make a total of six units; or FP1, either FP2 or FP3 and a further four Applications
units (excluding C1—C4) to make a total of six units. Candidates who are awarded certificates
in both Advanced GCE Mathematics and Advanced GCE Further Mathematics must use unit
results from 12 different teaching modules."

Latest