The Student Room Group

Switching from computer science to CS and maths...

Hello, I am starting my computer science degree next month, but am considering switching to CS and maths.

I didn't expect to enjoy studying maths/further maths so much this past year, and I have heard that a joint honours degree often has "better" grad prospects, because you have a broader range of fields to potentially get into. How true is this?

The thing is, I am not very sure of which aspect of computer science I enjoy most, so I am a bit reluctant to swap from pure CS as I would miss out on some modules, including visual computing which is the one I reckon I will enjoy most. My current plan is to swap (which should not be difficult to arrange) and attend the CS lectures which aren't on my schedule when I have the time/explore those areas in my free time.

Does this seem feasible? I have also heard that taking a joint honours couse is often more intensive, as you cover about 60% of each course. Is it worth making the switch in my circumstance do you think?
Reply 1
If you like maths, do maths. You can't do everything but if you end up going into the field of computing, the opportunity to learn new stuff is always there. Chances are you won't get much opportunity to learn more maths unless you devote your own time to studying maths. I imagine visual computing has a lot of maths in it so in a way, doing maths lends itself to you being able to quickly pick it up at a later date if the need be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending