The Student Room Group

Edexcel B GCSE Main written paper

This is just to start things off for those who were so helpful on the DME thread.
Remember that you have 3 sections
The first two sections are the long questions (needing case studies) and these will be on
a) Settlement and Employment
b) Population and Resources
The third section is the OPTION Use and Abuse section. Here you will be choosing to do a question on Weather and Climate / Agriculture/ Tourism / Water You have to do 2 questions in total - one on each of the options you have been taught.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Okay, I left this message on the other page, so will delete in a minute as it's more relevant to this page...
Whilst doing my revision I've come across a Burgess Model, and I don't have a clue what they are?!?
If someone understands/knows what they are, could you explain them to me pls either via PM...
Thanks
Reply 2
Burgess model is the concentric model of urban land use with the CBD at the core and progressively moving out (like a dartboard or target) through the Zone in Transition, Industry, poor residential (small terraced houses), middle class residential and high class residential on the edge with dormitory or commuter clusters in villages beyond the urban edge.
Reply 3
a friend of mine just brought up that biogas mainly operate along coastal areas. but i thought they can be operated just about anywhere, mainly in farm areas as there is better access to animal waste, and other natural resources? can anyone clarify that?
Reply 4
Biogas is found anywhere that there is access to the raw material ie animal dung. Lots of biogas plants in India.
Reply 5
Can anyone suggest a case study that I can use for windfarms?!?
I know I did one but I can't find it anywhere on my computer system :s-smilie:
So if anyone could I would be greatful
Thanks
Reply 7

That's helpful
Thanks
Reply 8
Hey
Sorry to be a complete pain with all these questions but do we still have to revise tectonics-volcanoes and earthquakes-or not?
Thanks
Reply 9
BromleyBabe
Hey
Sorry to be a complete pain with all these questions but do we still have to revise tectonics-volcanoes and earthquakes-or not?
Thanks

Not at all. That unit of work was tested in your DME.
Reply 10
Hi Geogger..
Thanks for all your help with the DME stuff :smile:
Just wanted to know if you have any good revision websites for the Water module? Because it isnt covered much in the CGP and Letts revision guide.
Thankyouuu :biggrin:
Reply 11
persian.royalty
Hi Geogger..
Just wanted to know if you have any good revision websites for the Water module? Because it isnt covered much in the CGP and Letts revision guide.

I'm afraid I don't do that module
Sorry!
geogger
Reply 12
Geogger
I'm afraid I don't do that module
Sorry!
geogger

Okayyy no worries thankyouuuu :smile:
Reply 13
persian.royalty
Hi Geogger..

my school did that module too! i'm really struggling with it, we only spent a couple of lessons on it. I do happen to have a few case study guides on it that i would like to share :smile:...these are done by a few of my classmates.

i got some more on the different modules...i will upload them if anyone wants it.
Reply 14
oh...and http://www.s-cool.co.uk and the BBC Bitesize Geography site have some useful stuff that is quite closely related to this exam.
Reply 15
My option modules are Weather and Climate and Recreation and Tourism :eek:
The only module I'm not that good at seems to be Weather & Climate but I've been revising that alot so everything should be alright on the day :biggrin:
The test is on Thur 12th PM
Good luck everyone :biggrin:

Oh yeh you need to also know all them basic skills like 6 fig references,how different type of terrains look like,maps etc.I'm rubbish at naming countries :eek:
Reply 16
xrawriorx
my school did that module too! i'm really struggling with it, we only spent a couple of lessons on it. I do happen to have a few case study guides on it that i would like to share :smile:...these are done by a few of my classmates.

i got some more on the different modules...i will upload them if anyone wants it.

Ohhhh my God, thankyou SO much :smile: You have just saved my life.
Reply 17
Geogger
Burgess model is the concentric model of urban land use with the CBD at the core and progressively moving out (like a dartboard or target) through the Zone in Transition, Industry, poor residential (small terraced houses), middle class residential and high class residential on the edge with dormitory or commuter clusters in villages beyond the urban edge.

Is this in the spec as our class havnt learnt this??!?!
Reply 18
there is a question on maps right?

because i remembered doing the mocks and there was a section where you look at a map and answer questions based on it for example length from place A to place B, contours, etc.

oh, and i don't think there is much in terms of naming countries. i think you only need to know the main countries that are in the syllabus, and a few cities?

anyone can help me with farming? are there any cons to organic farming other than costs? and is desertification when land that is used for growing crops are drying out and turning into desert?
Reply 19
Apparently "3% of the paper is naming places" well thats what the chief examiner of Geography for Edexcel said on some video thing Lol.

Thats lucky.
Anyone know about Urban Microclimates/urban heat islands?

Latest

Trending

Trending