The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

I started my EPQ this summer, will i get my result before my UCAS is sent off? If not, what will happen?

Thanks!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Konshi
How many points did you get? I got an A, wondering how far off I was :P

I got 28. :smile:
Reply 2022
I need help! I'm doing my EPQ ATM for entry @ January. I had a great example of a dissertation on Global Warming. One of the teachers gave it to me. But in the midst of exams I've lost it. Can't seem to find it on the Edexcel/AQA website either. Could anyone help me out?
Reply 2023
Original post by Trixy.Sam
How about:

'Recent governments have hindered the effectiveness of social welfare for children and the elderly'. Discuss?

When I am talking about 'recent government' shpuld i give dates from then to present to make the title more 'narrow?'
Original post by zxh800
How many pages of notes do people plan to make? 5000 words is about 10 pages typed up. So, should the aim be to make more notes than the final number of pages? Or less?

It would probably depend on your subject choice. If you intend to have tables and graphs etc. in your paper, I would probably have 15+ pages of notes, excluding tables and graphs. If you won't have tables and graphs etc. in your paper, I would probably have 20+ pages of notes.

However, if you're one of those people who knows exactly what you're going to write, 12-ish should suffice. Personally, I need A LOT of research to help me narrow down what my thesis will be, so I will have A LOT of notes.
Reply 2025
Original post by Americaniamh
It would probably depend on your subject choice. If you intend to have tables and graphs etc. in your paper, I would probably have 15+ pages of notes, excluding tables and graphs. If you won't have tables and graphs etc. in your paper, I would probably have 20+ pages of notes.

However, if you're one of those people who knows exactly what you're going to write, 12-ish should suffice. Personally, I need A LOT of research to help me narrow down what my thesis will be, so I will have A LOT of notes.

Thanks for that, yes 20ish was what I thought I'd need initially.
I should have been doing my EPQ over the summer in order for it to be sent off in October. However, I discovered that there was a lack of information on what I wished to base my EPQ (capitalism & its effects on identity), and couldn't think of anything else in particular that I would be happy to write 5000 words about (I don't want to receive anything less than an A grade so it would have to be on something that I'm passionate about).

I'm now faced with the dilemma of whether to just attempt to do it on something new, or whether it would in fact not be worth it at all. Does anybody have any idea how much of a difference an EPQ makes to university applications? Thank you in advance.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by electric-wars
I should have been doing my EPQ over the summer in order for it to be sent off in October. However, I discovered that there was a lack of information on what I wished to base my EPQ (capitalism & its effects on identity), and couldn't think of anything else in particular that I would be happy to write 5000 words about (I don't want to receive anything less than an A grade so it would have to be on something that I'm passionate about).

I'm now faced with the dilemma of whether to just attempt to do it on something new, or whether it would in fact not be worth it at all. Does anybody have any idea how much of a difference an EPQ makes to university applications? Thank you in advance.

If you're looking to combine politics with psychology / philosophy for your EPQ, maybe you could broaden the topic a little? E.g. capitalism & its effects on the human psyche.
Original post by Americaniamh
If you're looking to combine politics with psychology / philosophy for your EPQ, maybe you could broaden the topic a little? E.g. capitalism & its effects on the human psyche.

I like that idea, but I was told by teachers that even what I originally wished to do was too broad, so I'm not sure if I would be able to do that. I don't mind not including a political element at this point, it just has to be vaguely related to Philosophy/Psychology. Thank you for your suggestion though.
Reply 2029

Any help?

Original post by gcw1216
Hi guys~I'm planning to apply for Cambridge and I've just completed my AS Level. I was told that we needed extended project as part of our application to Cambridge but I'm still pretty much clueless about this thing. Does anyone know where can I get any examples or references for this thingy? I just wanna see roughly what is it all about because I was only told by my teacher to do research on my chosen topic-transgender and that's all. I have to write a 5000 words long essay but I still don't know where to start my research!!! This is "desperately" urgent!!! Thanks million lots to whoever my saviour is!!!:smile:

p/s: sorry if there's any error in my grammar :tongue:

I started the EPQ, I did my research etc - and it was useful, interesting and good for beefing up my PS + talking about at interview. In the end though, I felt as it wasn't part of my offer and it was using up time I could spend trying to get my A*s then I might as well drop it. I wrote to my college and explained my position and they weren't bothered at all.
Reply 2031
Ugh, I haven't even started this, can anyone help me plan this? I have no clue where to start; I have read about 12 sources and taken notes, but not sure where to go from here. This is due on the 1st September, which (I am aware) is only too close.

My EPQ title is "to what extent can a computer think?" - annoyingly ambiguous question, I know. I have no clue how to start this; should I talk about the ways in which computers have revolutionised the ways in which we do things, or should I just jump straight into the meaty, more deductive analysis of the situation?

I don't expect my EPQ to be entirely conclusive, I mean it is a slightly difficult question to pin a 'yes' or 'no' answer to, but I can at least try and get close to somewhere that gets a tad bit closer to such an answer.

Shugar!! I don't know how to plan such a project.
Reply 2032
Ugh, I haven't even started this, can anyone help me plan this? I have no clue where to start; I have read about 12 sources and taken notes, but not sure where to go from here. This is due on the 1st September, which (I am aware) is only too close.

My EPQ title is "to what extent can a computer think?" - annoyingly ambiguous question, I know. I have no clue how to start this; should I talk about the ways in which computers have revolutionised the ways in which we do things, or should I just jump straight into the meaty, more deductive analysis of the situation?

I don't expect my EPQ to be entirely conclusive, I mean it is a slightly difficult question to pin a 'yes' or 'no' answer to, but I can at least try and get close to somewhere that gets a tad bit closer to such an answer.

Does anyone have a framework for a plan or something (or an example plan would be great!!!)
Hi,

Just wanted some advice on whether to do EPQ or not!

I am about to go into year 13, doing Maths, Economics and Business Studies A Level, I got AAA in those 3 subjects at AS. I'm also teaching myself Further Maths which I have started over the summer holidays to take the exams in year 13, and want to go into Economics/Econometrics/Maths at uni (looking at places such as Notthingham, Bristol, Birmingham).

I just wanna have advice on if the EPQ is managable aswell as my 3 Alevels and teaching myself further maths. Or if its going to be a struggle if it is really worth it?

Thanks
Original post by CharrrrxD
Hi,

Just wanted some advice on whether to do EPQ or not!

I am about to go into year 13, doing Maths, Economics and Business Studies A Level, I got AAA in those 3 subjects at AS. I'm also teaching myself Further Maths which I have started over the summer holidays to take the exams in year 13, and want to go into Economics/Econometrics/Maths at uni (looking at places such as Notthingham, Bristol, Birmingham).

I just wanna have advice on if the EPQ is managable aswell as my 3 Alevels and teaching myself further maths. Or if its going to be a struggle if it is really worth it?

Thanks

Well if you are self teaching further maths A2 then NO NO NO. If you are self teaching yourself AS then definitely. It's rewarding and looks good on your PS, but you have to be dedicated and do it in small bits and regularly rather than leaving everything to the last minute.
Original post by omgilyx

Well you should first define what you mean by a computer (sounds stupid I know but it is important for when you come to conclusion about at what point computers can think and when they are just pre programmed). Start setting out the issue first and then start the analysis that focuses it a lot more. Alan Turing is a MUST. I think examples of current AI advancements are crucial.
Reply 2036
'To what extent was The Falklands War the greatest factor in Margaret Thatcher's landslide election victory in 1983'

should be interesting. Of course it wasn't the falkands - it was Labour under Foot! surely the worse political party of all time!
Original post by omgilyx

Wow - you have an early deadline - I haven't started either but I have till december (sorry to rub it in..)

How about changing the wording of your question slightly? You could record it in your EPQ log and its perfectly acceptable to change direction. I don't know anything about what you're interested in/computers so I can't really advise on what but I'm sure you could play around with wordings/focus and go from there. I would say you probably need to jump in at the meaty end - 5000 words is actually a very small amount when you get writing - maybe start with a definition of think in this context and lay out the issues.

Or if you're really interested in the first point you make how about changing the question to 'To what extent have computers changed the way we think?' or something similar as tbh the first point you make hasn't really got any relevance to the question you're asking.

Good Luck and I hope you figure something out soon!
Reply 2038
How close to the 5000 word limit does it have to be without losing marks. Is there a word range?
Reply 2039
I haven't started either.. :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending