The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

What do I need to do to get a good grade in my EPQ? My topic is the relationship between immigration and the recession of 2008 in England, if anyone has a similar topic? My teacher is so bad at explaining this stuff
Also what am I supposed to write for my research review? :confused::confused::confused:
UPDATE FROM ME:Finished EPQ Halejuah! Time to focus on all my other subjects :smile:
what topic did you do?
can someone please tell me if the 5000 word word count for AQA includes footnotes and bibliograpgy
Original post by s.c.a1
can someone please tell me if the 5000 word word count for AQA includes footnotes and bibliograpgy

It better not include all of those as I will be well over the limit then! I assume it doesn't though... I had my presentation today and just need to finish up all my reviews and proof read one last time and I'll be done at last! :biggrin: What is yours on?
Original post by s.c.a1

No it doesn't, also its not a hard 5000 limit, its a minimum of 5000, I'm on 6000 on mine and my supervisor said its fine :-)
Original post by harleysanderson
No it doesn't, also its not a hard 5000 limit, its a minimum of 5000, I'm on 6000 on mine and my supervisor said its fine :-)

Its not even minimum! Its recommended, but you can write more or less

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do i need to include an appendix? I'm doing my EPQ based on Sociology and Media and my supervisor said i dont need to but she wants me to anyways so im a bit confused??
Just finished my first draft essay. It's double the minimum word limit! o_O

Posted from TSR Mobile
If i have sent a copy of my epq to a friend over facebook because they were interested in reading it, is it possible that I could be accused of plagiarism? I know they use a system nowadays to see if they can find the material anywhere else on the internet and I'm super paranoid that they'll find it and think I've stolen it and then I get disqualified from everything ??? :redface:

Does anyone else ever get scared that they may have accidentally/unintentionally plagiarised as well? Or is that just me ? :')
Original post by h.bella
If i have sent a copy of my epq to a friend over facebook because they were interested in reading it, is it possible that I could be accused of plagiarism? I know they use a system nowadays to see if they can find the material anywhere else on the internet and I'm super paranoid that they'll find it and think I've stolen it and then I get disqualified from everything ??? :redface:

Does anyone else ever get scared that they may have accidentally/unintentionally plagiarised as well? Or is that just me ? :')

No they won't find it on that, and even if they did it would have your name on it anyway so they couldnt accuse you of plagiarism :smile:
can anyone tell me if the use of personal pronouns (I, me, my, etc) is allowed in the epq written report? I'm talking about the research I've completed - with like questionnaires and stuff - but I heard from somewhere you have to phrase it differently so that it doesn't come off too subjective? Can anyone confirm this and let me know alternative ways of writing it?

Thank you!! :smile:
Original post by fanoula
can anyone tell me if the use of personal pronouns (I, me, my, etc) is allowed in the epq written report? I'm talking about the research I've completed - with like questionnaires and stuff - but I heard from somewhere you have to phrase it differently so that it doesn't come off too subjective? Can anyone confirm this and let me know alternative ways of writing it?

Thank you!! :smile:

In my first draft essay, I used terms like those to give my opinion on the scientific outlook of my subject, which concluded my conclusion. I introduced it by saying "my opinion is that...", and explained why I sided with one of two perspectives of the argument, however explaining why I still believe the other theory to be promising. The entire essay before that was in factual context, so no personal pronouns there. I actively avoided them up to the conclusion, but I think for the conclusion, it's fine.
If you have to describe your primary data in the middle of the write-up, I'd simply reference/cite your own information, perhaps recording your data in an appendix (the appendix is painfully arduous but necessary if your supervisor insists), and extrapolate from it as you would a secondary resource, e.g. "the study has shown (YOUR-LAST-NAME 2015) that..."
I don't know for certain, though. I didn't do any survey for my essay, and I'm still awaiting feedback regarding my first draft essay. But I hope this was useful.
Good luck with your project! :smile:
my teacher's given me full marks for my epq :grin: anyone with questions hit me up
Hi just a question are most people doing EPQ in year 12 or year 13, in one year or over the course of both years. Im y12 and done it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cucaracha
my teacher's given me full marks for my epq :grin: anyone with questions hit me up

What type of questions were you asked during your presentation and what did you include in your presentation? My epq is quite factual worried that I won't get a good mark
So I'm doing a cookbook for my EPQ and I don't really know what to hand in if that makes sense...
My teacher is pretty useless and doesn't seem to know what she's on about.

So far what I think I have to submit is;

My actual artefact (The Sprinters Cookbook)

AQA log book

Project log/ gantt chart

Resources

Write up

Research

Is this everything? Also can my research be typed up bullet point sentences since I will expand on it in the write up?

Original post by Daisy452
What type of questions were you asked during your presentation and what did you include in your presentation? My epq is quite factual worried that I won't get a good mark

include how your project developed, your findings/response to your question, and skills you've learned.

mine was to do with literature so i was asked about the historical/social context, relating it to the modern day, why i chose certain books etc. Just roll with whatever you're asked, sound like you know what you're talking about and it'll be fine
I'm finally finished! So relieved of all that damn pressure!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending