The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
I put it down as my first choice for my extra curricular activity thing. I will probably be doing it next year (A2 year), and I want to do aeronautical/aviation engineering at uni.
I'm guessing there's probably loads of topics I could write about in this area, but was wondering what the best ones would be in order to develop my knowledge in the best areas of aero engineering?

Anyone done something like this? Was it a success?
Reply 161
Adam92
1. Topic
2. I don't know, but I've done that...
3 and 4. AQA say around 5,000 (so I suppose 5,200 will be okay) and Edexcel say between 5,000 - 6,000
Indeed, but there's no strict limit. Mine was just about 8,000 words and someone in my class wrote a rather ridiculous 12,000 words. We spoke to the chief examiner of the edexcel course and he said you can write as much as you want, but if it's not worth saying in 6,000 words then it's not worth saying. So try and keep it concise but don't be too worried if you have no option but to go over the limit because nothing bad will happen if you do :smile:

maxfire
I put it down as my first choice for my extra curricular activity thing. I will probably be doing it next year (A2 year), and I want to do aeronautical/aviation engineering at uni.
I'm guessing there's probably loads of topics I could write about in this area, but was wondering what the best ones would be in order to develop my knowledge in the best areas of aero engineering?

Anyone done something like this? Was it a success?
Someone in my year is going to do aero eng at uni, and he did his EP on the changed aero regulations of F1 between 2008 and 2009, and his was an interesting presentation to hear :smile: Perhaps you could do yours on something like the design of a new plane, problems overcome, maybe the A380?
Reply 162
Mrcarrot
Indeed, but there's no strict limit. Mine was just about 8,000 words and someone in my class wrote a rather ridiculous 12,000 words. We spoke to the chief examiner of the edexcel course and he said you can write as much as you want, but if it's not worth saying in 6,000 words then it's not worth saying. So try and keep it concise but don't be too worried if you have no option but to go over the limit because nothing bad will happen if you do :smile:

Really?! Wow..
Is anyone else here actually doing some form of project rather than writing an essay?
Hey
Ok I know this sounds like I've left things wayyy too late to decide exact details..
I've done quite a bit of research on communism, mainly in russia.. As I will be applying to study history in 2010 I would like my EP to reflect this..
If anyone could help me with a more specific title/focus for the project I would be so grateful!
I was thinking some kind of article on a debate surrounding communism?
Or if anyone has any other inspiring topics to do with modern history!!
Many thanks in advance!! :smile:
hellooo
please help!! haha im getting desperate!
xx
what do people think about the russian revolution?? any interesting titles i could use?
or maybe something about china & tibet.. titles for EP?
Reply 168
bubbleribbon
what do people think about the russian revolution?? any interesting titles i could use?

My friend's doing his on the Russian Revolution and how significant certain events were, or something like that :s-smilie:
Reply 169
I've managed to make a survey to send out to local businesses about their views on the recession..

I'm having trouble thinking of some questions for a survey that I could put on TSR and ask students about... :beard:
I started my research today, woop! I also found out one of the other girls doing it at my school as written 2500 words of hers already :/. My project is history based, on Queen Victoria, so I'm struggling to think of research to do apart from books (which will most likely contain some contemporary sources I can use as well). Is this ok? I can't think of any primary research such as a survey that I could do?
hey
ive done loads of research today..
so i think ive decided on russian revolution just need to narrow down the title..
any interesting ideas i could use as a focus for a magazine article?
thanks!!
moody28028
I started my research today, woop! I also found out one of the other girls doing it at my school as written 2500 words of hers already :/. My project is history based, on Queen Victoria, so I'm struggling to think of research to do apart from books (which will most likely contain some contemporary sources I can use as well). Is this ok? I can't think of any primary research such as a survey that I could do?

We were given a couple of websites which may help!...
http://doaj.org/ --> this gives loads of journals which may be useful as im doing a historical one too and was good for me!

also www.bl.uk would probs be good for queen victoria info!
good luck!
are you just writing an essay or doing a magazine article kind of thing?
whats your title?
bubbleribbon
We were given a couple of websites which may help!...
http://doaj.org/ --> this gives loads of journals which may be useful as im doing a historical one too and was good for me!

also www.bl.uk would probs be good for queen victoria info!
good luck!
are you just writing an essay or doing a magazine article kind of thing?
whats your title?

Thanks, I'll have a look. I'm just doing a straight essay, my title is:
To what extent was Queen Victoria an influential political figure in her own right, rather than a royal figurehead, in the years 1837-61?
Have you decided on a title yet?
moody28028
Thanks, I'll have a look. I'm just doing a straight essay, my title is:
To what extent was Queen Victoria an influential political figure in her own right, rather than a royal figurehead, in the years 1837-61?
Have you decided on a title yet?

Possibly something to do with the role of the russian revolution in the start of the cold war.. Or something about the causes of the revolution.. haha so no not really.
Its so hard!! and im really not very decisive about things like this!
bubbleribbon
Possibly something to do with the role of the russian revolution in the start of the cold war.. Or something about the causes of the revolution.. haha so no not really.
Its so hard!! and im really not very decisive about things like this!

I can't say I know anything much about that period of history so I can't give you any advice! Although my teacher did say as it was history based, it should be a 'to what extent' question or something which requires a degree of judgement. Though if you're doing a magazine article thing it may be different!
moody28028
I can't say I know anything much about that period of history so I can't give you any advice! Although my teacher did say as it was history based, it should be a 'to what extent' question or something which requires a degree of judgement. Though if you're doing a magazine article thing it may be different!

ahh cool thanks!
I wish I had started earlier.. hmm oh well
do you know where you want to apply to uni? for history im guessing..
bubbleribbon
ahh cool thanks!
I wish I had started earlier.. hmm oh well
do you know where you want to apply to uni? for history im guessing..

It's ok, I've barely done anything really apart from find a title! Yup I am applying for history, not 100% sure on my choices yet.
Feel free to post here, it's a bit dead at the moment!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1004760
The opening post contains the unis I'm considering. How about you?
Reply 178
Adam92
You could do about the role of behavioural economics in regards to house prices?

"To what extent does consumer's irrationality impact upon house prices?"

I think that will be a very good topic :smile:

Thanks for the idea :smile: But how could I get research for this and could you give me an idea on how to start this of? My teacher wants me to get a lot of research by monday and convince her its a worthwhile title.

Thats why if I can't get research for this idea, I need another one that relates to behavioral economics but can get enough research to write 5000 words. So other ideas would help as well so I can give her other ideas if this doesn't work.
Reply 179
gustman
Thanks for the idea :smile: But how could I get research for this and could you give me an idea on how to start this of? My teacher wants me to get a lot of research by monday and convince her its a worthwhile title.

Thats why if I can't get research for this idea, I need another one that relates to behavioral economics but can get enough research to write 5000 words. So other ideas would help as well so I can give her other ideas if this doesn't work.

Some good sources I've found:
http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/hotproperty/archives/2009/07/housing_prices_3.html
Freakonomics - the (1st?) chapter about Estate Agents
http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=behavioral+economics+house+pricing&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:redface:fficial&hs=7UM&um=1&ie=UTF-8&oi=scholart
http://real.wharton.upenn.edu/~sinai/papers/Housing-Behavioral-Boston-Fed-v9.pdf
I'm sure doing a google search could bring lots of information :smile:

You could talk about information asymmetry.. and urm, I duno - I don't really know much about behavioural econ. I suppose it would be kind of hard. to write 5,000+ words..

Edit: it wouldn't hurt to post in the economics section on TSR to try and get some more ideas?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending