The Student Room Group

how to get the gcse exams

good evening to all, I have a question, how can I get gcse qualification? I came to England 4 months ago and I was not eligible for exams because I don't speak English well, next year I had to go to college but they advised me to do the esol first to improve my English but with this I will get the gcse for then start a level/btec in college? I'm very confused :/
Original post by Creppers400
good evening to all, I have a question, how can I get gcse qualification? I came to England 4 months ago and I was not eligible for exams because I don't speak English well, next year I had to go to college but they advised me to do the esol first to improve my English but with this I will get the gcse for then start a level/btec in college? I'm very confused :/

How old are you? What qualifications do you have from your home country? What do you hope to do in the future?
Your first step should certainly be to get your written and spoken English to a standard that enables you to benefit from other study.
If you cant speak English very well, they recommended you ESOL, which I think is a course that helps you will your English online so you don't get stuck on English GCSE later on; then after you finish the ESOL, you can able to go to college to start your English GCSE - which they advise so you don't have to but I think its must better-getting preparation beforehand than having to resit and they're more likely to accept you into college next time around.
Reply 3
I am 16 years old and I have no qualifications because I still go to school. there is no esol course integrated with gcse? so as to be faster? already I had to stay in college but unfortunately without gcse and a good level of English I cannot enter :/
Original post by gdunne42
How old are you? What qualifications do you have from your home country? What do you hope to do in the future?
Your first step should certainly be to get your written and spoken English to a standard that enables you to benefit from other study.
Original post by Creppers400
I am 16 years old and I have no qualifications because I still go to school. there is no esol course integrated with gcse? so as to be faster? already I had to stay in college but unfortunately without gcse and a good level of English I cannot enter :/

At age 16 your college is the best place to get advice on what is available and what they think is best for you. It should be possible to combine ESOL study with other education but that depends on the college. What can be offered may not be the same in every college so visit other local colleges and talk to them if you are not happy with what has been suggested for you.

Quick Reply

Latest