The Student Room Group

Early years pgce interview

Hi everyone,
I am going to be applying for an early years pgce very soon at Liverpool hope university and was wondering if anybody who has previously attended this interview could give me some advice and discuss what the process was like and what it all involved. Any help for this kind of interview at other universities will also be appreciated. I just want to know what kind of questions they may ask so I can be prepared.

thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
Hey @kae1234

Glad to hear you have an interview with us! :charm:

I underwent this process for a PGCE, however mine was for Primary General, opposed to Early Years.

Two of the main strands of the day that would be similar for both Early Years and Primary is the group interview and one-to-one interview. Within both, the interviewers will be looking for you to express your passion and knowledge within education and educating young people. You can express this through your own past experiences, knowledge of current provision and policy and your own aspirations within your teaching career.

Usually on the day, and I'm unsure of how much this applies to other universities, you will have a welcome from one of the course leaders; then you would have the group interview, in which each interviewee will discuss an artifact they have brought in and discuss the value of it in the class room and in cross curricular teaching. After that, depending on the schedule of the day you may first sit Mathematics and English audits (mainly to gauge your current knowledge and what support you may need, these are not the same as the Skills Tests) and then sit the one-to-one interview.

Typically, the day can last around 4 hours, usually - but not always - 12pm - 4pm.

I hope you find this useful, if you have any further questions, drop us a message or give us a call on 0151 291 3111! :shakehand:

Ste :beard:
Original post by kae1234
Hi everyone,
I am going to be applying for an early years pgce very soon at Liverpool hope university and was wondering if anybody who has previously attended this interview could give me some advice and discuss what the process was like and what it all involved. Any help for this kind of interview at other universities will also be appreciated. I just want to know what kind of questions they may ask so I can be prepared.

thanks
Original post by kae1234
Hi everyone,

thanks

Hi

The types of questions asked at interview can vary a lot from uni to uni, but it will probably help to have some idea of how to answer questions along the lines of:
-Why teaching?
-Why this age group?
-What do you know about the national curriculum for this age group?
-Any current educational issues, especially relating to this age group.
-a safeguarding question (the answer is pretty much always, report to the designated safeguarding lead)

You may also be asked some questions about how you'd describe yourself or how you plan to cope with the demands of the course.

Don't forget that on interview days, they aren't looking for the finished product- they are looking for someone with potential!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending