The Student Room Group

Teacher messages

can i send my teacher a message on facebook ?
Might be a bit inappropriate but really depends on the type of teacher you have
Could you send them an email instead?
Reply 2
he is my PE teacher and i haven't had him since last year. But i want to stay in touch.
Original post by Izzythestudent
Original post by ampare.x
he is my PE teacher and i haven't had him since last year. But i want to stay in touch.
How old are you? If you're still at school or under 18 it's likely you won't get a response from him on Facebook. If you're 18 and leaving then there's probably not much harm in trying. Though some teachers won't use social media to talk to ex pupils as the norm and some schools may have policies against staff doing so.
Bit inappropriate?
In the previous era of teaching, it was quite common for teachers to have ex-pupils on their social media. Heck, in my last school all the senior staff had to unfriend lots of ex pupils after a training session strongly advised us against having pupils connected to us through social media as the 'nature of the relationship' - could always be called into question by members of the public. I believe the deputy head even deleted her account entirely. Well that was then, and now is certainly not more lax, so I wouldn't get offended if he didn't respond to your request.
I'm curious, how does email make anything different?
At the end of the day OP still stays in touch with ex teacher?
Original post by Alisha999
I'm curious, how does email make anything different?
At the end of the day OP still stays in touch with ex teacher?
Facebook tends to be a lot more personal (sharing photos, things about tbe teachers families, political opinions etc.); email is direct to one person, easier to manage.
How about if OP had the teachers number or something?? Instead of social media.
And why would a teacher want to stay in touch with a student (even if it is over email) is it because they may have been a favourite student or something and they may want to know how they do?
Original post by 04MR17
Facebook tends to be a lot more personal (sharing photos, things about tbe teachers families, political opinions etc.); email is direct to one person, easier to manage.
Original post by Alisha999
How about if OP had the teachers number or something?? Instead of social media.
And why would a teacher want to stay in touch with a student (even if it is over email) is it because they may have been a favourite student or something and they may want to know how they do?
That's probably better than facebook yes, but I asked about OP's situation because they haven't confirmed if they're leaving school or not.
Original post by ampare.x

Send email. Facebook communications could see him lose his job. Just remember he is your teacher, not your mate.
I tried too keep in touch with my favourite teacher but she just blocked me the next day x
Original post by Shanice_xxxx
I tried too keep in touch with my favourite teacher but she just blocked me the next day x

Aww that's a shame :frown: x
Reply 13
Don't do it, I lost my job role by replying to an ex-student who put me in a private daily post which I commented on. She interpreted posts differently to what I had intended.Teachers and ex-students just can't be friends and if this is a teacher you appreciated don't engage they were your teacher not your mate.
LinkedIn!
Use LinkedIn, I've added quite a few of my old teachers to my network on there. They don't seem to mind that, but i'm guessing that because Facebook, Twitter etc are more social, social media platforms whereas LinkedIn is more...professional, even though it's still social media.
Original post by Izzythestudent

Somehow the teacher would get blamed even if he/she didn’t respond as we will in crazy times

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending