The Student Room Group

Can i make it to a foundation year plus degree?

Hi, i am at my last year of college (btec level 3) and i am wanting to get into uni through a foundation year. If i continue college, due to my family issues i have a threat of having to move out. And i will also have to pay too for another year at college. Instead via accommodation at uni and funding through maintenance loan and extra funding whilst also working i want to study at uni with a foundation year. The entry points are 48 and some are above slightly. My tutors are trying to discourage me in doing that, and there saying i will fail as i missed my Submission for my second project but i can re submit. Either way they dont think i can get to uni. But i am determined either through normal application or through clearing i can. Now my question is, is my goal achievable in reality?
Original post by Anon1124
Hi, i am at my last year of college (btec level 3) and i am wanting to get into uni through a foundation year. If i continue college, due to my family issues i have a threat of having to move out. And i will also have to pay too for another year at college. Instead via accommodation at uni and funding through maintenance loan and extra funding whilst also working i want to study at uni with a foundation year. The entry points are 48 and some are above slightly. My tutors are trying to discourage me in doing that, and there saying i will fail as i missed my Submission for my second project but i can re submit. Either way they dont think i can get to uni. But i am determined either through normal application or through clearing i can. Now my question is, is my goal achievable in reality?

As much as I sympathise with your situation, there is nothing that you have specified that is material about your academics. What subject is your BTEC? What are your grades? Which specific degree? Why do you want to do the degree specifically?

You can always get funding via Advanced Learner's Loan for your extra year, so funding for tuition might not necessarily be an issue.

However, I would question why you keep making late submissions. Degrees typically have more assignments and exams than a BTEC (at least 6 assignments per year, likely with another 6 exams on top per year). If you keep making late submissions, this would work against you at uni.

I would also wonder why your teachers are trying to discourage you. By no means are teachers ever always right (I know plenty of people where they have succeeded despite of what their teachers told them, personally and less personally), but they are also experienced professionals who have been doing the job for years. If there is any merit in what they are saying, then those comments need to be taken on board and reflected in your behaviour and actions. If there aren't any merit, then you can possibly ignore them.

I don't think anyone would discourage you from going to uni, but if you do go you need to really pull through; it's definitely not like college.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
As much as I sympathise with your situation, there is nothing that you have specified that is material about your academics. What subject is your BTEC? What are your grades? Which specific degree? Why do you want to do the degree specifically?

You can always get funding via Advanced Learner's Loan for your extra year, so funding for tuition might not necessarily be an issue.

However, I would question why you keep making late submissions. Degrees typically have more assignments and exams than a BTEC (at least 6 assignments per year, likely with another 6 exams on top per year). If you keep making late submissions, this would work against you at uni.

I would also wonder why your teachers are trying to discourage you. By no means are teachers ever always right (I know plenty of people where they have succeeded despite of what their teachers told them, personally and less personally), but they are also experienced professionals who have been doing the job for years. If there is any merit in what they are saying, then those comments need to be taken on board and reflected in your behaviour and actions. If there aren't any merit, then you can possibly ignore them.

I don't think anyone would discourage you from going to uni, but if you do go you need to really pull through; it's definitely not like college.

Hi, its a level 3 btec in television and film, year 1. I submitted my first assignment successfully my latest which was late is due to falling ill which led to attendance drop, and then the tutor begun to say, your never going to get there, you need to reconsider your route. Its became hectic , now i will resubmit that late assignment mid feb and now i am beginning a new one and i am keeping up with it.
Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000

I am predicted a merit. And i am goaling for a degree in film. I am good at editing and i have had a burning fire for creative arts like photography,drama and even art. I love the aspect of sharing a message across, wether its via drama or art or photography... the concept just intrigues me. Mostly i love how its a field where you can express yourself openly whilst sharing a message, an impactful message.
Hi, its a level 3 btec in television and film, year 1. I submitted my first assignment successfully my latest which was late is due to falling ill which led to attendance drop, and then the tutor begun to say, your never going to get there, you need to reconsider your route. Its became hectic , now i will resubmit that late assignment mid feb and now i am beginning a new one and i am keeping up with it.

If you're ill, then you should have been able to submit a form or provide evidence (from your doctor) of your mitigating circumstances.

I wish you luck on your remaining assignments though.
I am predicted a merit. And i am goaling for a degree in film. I am good at editing and i have had a burning fire for creative arts like photography,drama and even art. I love the aspect of sharing a message across, wether its via drama or art or photography... the concept just intrigues me. Mostly i love how its a field where you can express yourself openly whilst sharing a message, an impactful message.

Whilst it's always ideal to have distinctions and distinction stars to apply for degrees, you can still apply to some degrees with merits without doing foundation years. Have you looked at the specific degrees that you're interested in applying for? A number of art, film, drama, and photography courses at creative unis tend to be very flexible with their entry requirements, and they tend to care more about your skills and portfolio.

You strictly don't need a degree in the creative arts to get into the field e.g. plenty of successful actors, photographers, filmographers, and even artistis don't have degrees. There are plenty that have as well though.
However, if you're 100% adamant about this, then by all means do the degree that you want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending