The Student Room Group

Is doing 4 subjects and EPQ unnecessary for med ?

Planning on dropping something at A2 with an as and the EPQ is one year. Then for A2 I can really focus on the three. I'm also doing some work experience, bmat and Ukcat.
Reply 1
I did 4 essay based subjects and EPQ (which is clearly different to med, but I still want to help where I can). I highly struggled and ended up retaking and doing 3 + EPQ. However, that was because I was neither prepared or committed. The extra A-Level would give you more potential points & look good. However, wouldn't you rather be able to have a more narrowed and focused approach, in order to ensure the best? If you know within yourself, that you will dedicate time and have what it takes THEN DO IT. Everyone is different at the end of the day. Good luck!

BTW EPQ is very interesting, but I literally found the work load more demanding than my actual subjects. ALSO, remember that EPQ gives you additional points, which can be very useful :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by YewulBarr
Planning on dropping something at A2 with an as and the EPQ is one year. Then for A2 I can really focus on the three. I'm also doing some work experience, bmat and Ukcat.

Universities literally don't care if you do a 4th A level and will just ignore it. Doing anything extra like that will just be extra work with no advantage whatsoever. They wouldn't even find you doing anything more particularly impressive.

EPQ, on the other hand, might be quite interesting and could be something you could talk about in interviews, especially if you did it on something related to Medicine.

Just do the following:

3 A levels.
Bio, Chem + 1 more in anything that you think will get you the best grade possible (could be another STEM subject or an essay/language etc). If you want to get into a Cambridge college, consider doing the 3rd A level in another STEM subject.

Plus, EPQ if you think you can handle the workload and think it'll add to your Medicine application. If, however, you think that the EPQ could jeopardise your 3 A level grades or BMAT etc (your main tools to get into Medicine), then don't bother because it's not essential to your application.
Original post by Quick-use
Universities literally don't care if you do a 4th A level and will just ignore it. Doing anything extra like that will just be extra work with no advantage whatsoever. They wouldn't even find you doing anything more particularly impressive.

/QUOTE]

but 4a*s looks better than 3
plus it is an advantage as you get more ucas points. but I do get your point of it being a strenuous workload.
Original post by mez_merising
Original post by Quick-use

/QUOTE]

but 4a*s looks better than 3
plus it is an advantage as you get more ucas points. but I do get your point of it being a strenuous workload.

It doesn't matter what looks better because at the end of the day, it has no added significance or advantage. As far as subjects go, universities just want 3 grades. It's also extremely difficult to get 4 A* and it may jeopardise all of your grades.

UCAS points are completely irrelevant for Medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest