The Student Room Group

Not sure if i should take a fourth A-Level for medicine

I'm interested in pursuing undergraduate medicine in the UK, but I'm uncertain whether I should invest extra effort to enhance the impressiveness of my application.

I am from and currently reside in Jordan, which diminishes the likelihood of my acceptance into a medical course in the UK. I'm committed to taking Chemistry and Biology as my A-Levels, yet I'm undecided on the third subject physics, math, or perhaps both?

Has anyone previously encountered this dilemma? I would greatly appreciate insights and advice regarding my subject selection. Thank you.
Original post by SalehBB
I'm interested in pursuing undergraduate medicine in the UK, but I'm uncertain whether I should invest extra effort to enhance the impressiveness of my application.

I am from and currently reside in Jordan, which diminishes the likelihood of my acceptance into a medical course in the UK. I'm committed to taking Chemistry and Biology as my A-Levels, yet I'm undecided on the third subject physics, math, or perhaps both?

Has anyone previously encountered this dilemma? I would greatly appreciate insights and advice regarding my subject selection. Thank you.

Hi, don’t take 4 a levels. In my opinion you’re gonna make it difficult for yourself so just stick to 3. I did maths and it’s a great subject. But what I would do is pick out of physics and maths which one you think you would do better in and pick that.

good luck brother
Reply 2
Original post by SalehBB

Hi, as others have said, in many instances if applying for medicine in the UK as a home student the advice would be that there is (at the current time) no great specific benefit for the majority of Med schools of doing 4 A levels as the entry requirements tend to be based on 3.

Some however do edge around this in different ways. For example some might "expect to see" some kind of extended academics, like either another subject at AS, or an EPQ. Or wierd words in that type of style (thinking Manchester here as an example). However you are two years out. Things may change before then.

As it currently stands for a home student 3 A levels is great as long as you get AAA min. AAA in this context is better than AABB. If additional capacity and schools able to support it I might suggest a med related EPQ in year 13 might be worthwhile considering as that can sometimes reduce the offer in a way that a fourth A level wont necessarily.

Your situation is slightly different as you are an international applicant. I dont know if the entry requirements (or the selection policies which are different things) are the same in all instances for international students. I know it is much more competitive, but that could just be a function of the lower number of places. So I couldnt say definitively.

However, as an international student you may currently wish to study in the UK, but you can go anywhere if you wanted to. Esp if unfortunately you were unsuccessful. Would taking only 3 A levels limit those plan B or Plan C choices at all?

Is it an option to start 4 and then poss drop one at the end of year 12 once you have finished scoping out all your options ? (if you do modular AS this is easier). Of course whatever you do, you need to have capacity to do it on top of your 3 main A levels. If doing 4 to start it might also help you determine whether Physics or Maths is your preferred third.

I guess what I am saying is my personal preference in all things is always to keep my options as open as possible for as long as possible to enable me to make the most informed decision.

Academics are important clearly, but so is strategic applications. Work experience and the ability to reflect on that at interview is what is going to get you the offer in the end. Its challenging to fit this in with 3 A levels at times. With 4 it will be more pressure. Dont skip it.

Good luck with your onward journey
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by SalehBB

To put it simply, you need 3 for medicine and you should only do the fourth if you really enjoy all 4 of your subjects. Some people struggle to do 4, whilst others find it relatively fine, so if you are interested in all of those subjects, take them and see what happens - you can always drop the 4th.
Reply 4
Original post by SalehBB

hey , i am currently a week away from starting second year of A level , i study in england and took all the four A levels you mentioned and let me tell you ITS A BAD IDEA , i am going to be dropping physics because it isnt adding anything to my application and almost all medical unis here dont even consider a fourth A level during the selection process , you are better off doing 3 , id suggest taking maths but thats honestly up to you . If you want to show off your academic ability its better to take up EPQ , i regret not doing the same

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending