The Student Room Group

4 A Levels and EPQ - should I drop the EPQ

Hi, I'm about a month in to year 12 and I've picked all sciences and maths and an EPQ (my school allows us to do a fast track version so we can do it in year 12) as my A Levels. I'm really enjoying my main A Levels' content, however I can't say the same for my EPQ. The topic I've chosen interests me and is related to Medicine, so it will help me in my interviews (if I get any) but it feels like an absolute chore to do. I already have limited time due to the 4 A Levels, the extracurriculars I do and my job so I'm wondering whether it's worth it to take so much of my time and effort on this too. The only reason I took it was because I knew it would look good on uni applications as it'd show I'd have researching and time management skills as well as a good interest in medicine and it would give me something to talk about at interview. And medicine is such a competitive course so I want to have a good application. So, I'm really torn between what I should do because I don't want to burn myself out now and not do well on my end of years and med entrance exams. I could really use some guidance please.
Original post by DedBread
Hi, I'm about a month in to year 12 and I've picked all sciences and maths and an EPQ (my school allows us to do a fast track version so we can do it in year 12) as my A Levels. I'm really enjoying my main A Levels' content, however I can't say the same for my EPQ. The topic I've chosen interests me and is related to Medicine, so it will help me in my interviews (if I get any) but it feels like an absolute chore to do. I already have limited time due to the 4 A Levels, the extracurriculars I do and my job so I'm wondering whether it's worth it to take so much of my time and effort on this too. The only reason I took it was because I knew it would look good on uni applications as it'd show I'd have researching and time management skills as well as a good interest in medicine and it would give me something to talk about at interview. And medicine is such a competitive course so I want to have a good application. So, I'm really torn between what I should do because I don't want to burn myself out now and not do well on my end of years and med entrance exams. I could really use some guidance please.

I totally understand this. At my school they made the EPQ mandatory and we had to follow through with it from Year 12 all the way to the Christmas of year 13. It did not help that during the summer of year 12 I had to write my first EPQ essay draft, shadow doctors, and practice the UCAT and later on the BMAT. I originally took 4 A levels but dropped down to 3 to allow for optimal revision and time for my extracurriculars. The EPQ for us med applicants was truly a big help. We added it into our personal statement and as you mentioned it would give you something to talk about during the interview. Getting an A* with a med topic for EPQ is also really easy and well regarded. I had a friend was doing the same subjects as you and he managed perfectly well (got interviewed by Oxford and got accepted to UCL, Kings, and Imperial) but chose to let go of activities such as DoE, the debate team, orchestra, and chose to play sports simply as a side hobby (quit the school team). So it really is up to you. Do what you think is best for you and your application. Hope this helps!
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending