The Student Room Group

How to have a conversation about 4 A Levels with my year 12?

My youngest has decided to do 4 A Levels because she really enjoys all 4 subjects - I have explained 3 is all that are needed to go to Uni, there is no advantage in doing 4 and a risk she may get lower grade(s). But the conversation is going no where, it keeps looping back to 'she really enjoys all 4 subjects'

Wondering how others have had the conversation. Or did you support them with 4 A levels and they did okay?

FWIW She is looking at Vet Med and needs minimum AAA inc Biology, Chemistry + 1 other subject

GCSE she got:
7 for Chemistry
8 for Biology and Geography
9 for History

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChiefBrody
My youngest has decided to do 4 A Levels because she really enjoys all 4 subjects - I have explained 3 is all that are needed to go to Uni, there is no advantage in doing 4 and a risk she may get lower grade(s). But the conversation is going no where, it keeps looping back to 'she really enjoys all 4 subjects'

Wondering how others have had the conversation. Or did you support them with 4 A levels and they did okay?

FWIW She is looking at Vet Med and needs minimum AAA inc Biology, Chemistry + 1 other subject

GCSE she got:
7 for Chemistry
9 for History

How about she starts with four, with the knowledge that she can drop one if she decides that she's no longer enjoying it, or if the overall workload is too high for her to remain on an AAA trajectory.
Reply 2

GCSE she got:
7 for Chemistry
9 for History

I teach in a selective state school - we do not allow 4 A levels unless two are Maths/FMaths. It is pointless when high grades are needed.
I did 4 this past academic year (chem, maths, bio, french) and I really enjoyed it and wouldn't change it. It is a lot of time though.
I used to log the amount of time I spent studying during year 13 after being introduced to an app by a friend; during february to april when we were still learning A level content I would spend roughly 4 or 5 hours studying per subject (including homework) each week, although this would vary a lot. Generally the amount of time I spent studying would be anywhere from 13 to 20 hours a week.

Also, I remember a lot of my friends applying to vet med or medicine mentioning volunteering or work experience as something looked on quite favourably by universities which is even more on your plate, and arguably it's better to do 3 A levels and also have hands on experience of some sort than to do 4 A levels.

Perhaps you could advise her to create a hypothetical timetable, assuming she'll spend a certain amount of time studying per subject each week, and see if she wants to commit so much time to A levels. If she works consistently throughout sixth form (or even slacks off a bit but is mostly consistent) she should be fine so long as she is organised, but it means sacrificing other things.
Reply 4

GCSE she got:
7 for Chemistry
9 for History

An EPQ is more useful than a 4th A-level (other than FM), particularly for vet/met/Oxbridge and other competitive unis where you need to do lots of supers to get in. Like others have said though, if she is insistent, let her try, and she can drop them if it gets too much.
It's normal to do 4 at AS and after that first year she may herself realise that taking all 4 to year 13 will be too much work so maybe just wait a year to see whether her opinion changes.
Reply 6
It's so good to hear she enjoys her subjects but just bear in mind she'll need to do her y12/13 vet med work experience which usually happens on weekends for a set period, 4 of the hardest a-levels and keeping good work-life balance. (she might also want to try a part-time job which could limit her time for school work on the weekends).

I would recommend she starts with 4 and then check in after a few weeks to see if she still enjoys them all and isn't missing assignments or behind on her work, I've known people to drop an a-level to help their well-being before so she should keep a good sleep schedule and her mental health is the most important thing,
I went to a school where most people did 4 A-levels and I felt like if I gave one up I was somewhat "not smart enough", which is totally not true!!! your daughter must be super intelligent to get those GCSE grades,

On the other hand, doing 4 A-levels will help her enjoy school a bit more and give her a variety of degree options, I've known people who went into A-level sure of one career path but enjoyed one subject more than they were expecting and studied it afterwards, and more competitive unis tend to choose students doing 4 rather than 3 a-levels.

From a student's perspective, I'd keep an eye on her turning in assignments, deadlines, and stress levels. A more practical way is by adjusting her schedule so she has more hours to do school work i.e. if she does any sports or extracurriculars she may need to limit the hours spent on them to make time for her studies and help her keep on top of her deadlines by making a timetable for school work hours and a balance other commitments, and if her grades are getting low and she's missing homework or feels too pressured I would recommend she dropped one.

I'm not sure how helpful this is but I d
It was a while ago, and when we still did AS levels so starting out with 4 subjects was normal, but I started Year 12 determined that I was going to do 4 A levels.

But as soon as AS-levels were done I couldn’t wait to drop my fourth subject. Studying it at that level showed me I didn’t like it as much as I thought, and I wanted the extra free periods my friends had. You may well find the issue resolves itself!
I think so far as teenagers are concerned, it may be easier to let them start with 4 and see what the workload is like, as well as what the potential impact is on their predicted grades. If it jepordises their vetmed plans, hopefully that will be enough.

Valid comments above about the value of relevant work experience as well.
Reply 9
thanks folks - I am trying help her make informed choices (and live with the consequences) so yes my plan A was to let her try and see how it works. She is old enough to make her own decisions, I just don't agree with this one but I won't turn it in to an argument - though arguing is something teenagers seem good at doing :smile:

I went to a selective school were 4 A levels was seen as a badge of honour, (thankfully) things seem to be different these days. Its good to understand what is "normal"

We discussed EPQ (I am a fan) but that was discounted, partly because they aren't that well supported by school - though I reckon you could do something interesting in the Vet field.

The work experience side of Vet Med is still ramping up, so my suspicion is once the scale / impact of that becomes clear then the decision will be made - the other problem is what subject to drop, but we will save that for another day . . .
Reply 10
Original post by 1322456
I do 4 alevels and an epq and I got A*A*A*A* A predicted - its fine. Some people can handle it

Did you also do vet/med work experience, ucat/bmat or another big entrance exam that requires loads of prep work?

GCSE she got:
7 for Chemistry
9 for History

i’ve just started sixth form doing 4 a levels! im doing biology chemistry geography and psychology, so pretty similar. i am aware i haven’t been doing them for very long (2 weeks or so), but im very stubborn and i know i would have resented my parents and school if they hadn’t let me do 4. for this reason, i’d recommend letting your daughter start with 4 a levels, and if she finds the work too much or finds she doesn’t actually enjoy one of them she has a good few weeks to decide if she wants to drop one. she might however love them all and be just fine with the workload! my advice would to just let her know it’s absolutely fine if she wants to drop one, and you won’t think less of her because of it, but you’re happy to let her do 4. it sounds like she’s done well in all her subjects too, so she shouldn’t struggle with the content. xx
Reply 12
Original post by lalexm
Did you also do vet/med work experience, ucat/bmat or another big entrance exam that requires loads of prep work?

Absolutely - I've sent my uni application literally yesterday and I've done the Ucat and I'm revising for the BMAT rn.

I had a lot of work experience as well - its so important dont let anyone else tell you other wise
Reply 13
Original post by 1322456
Absolutely - I've sent my uni application literally yesterday and I've done the Ucat and I'm revising for the BMAT rn.

I had a lot of work experience as well - its so important dont let anyone else tell you other wise

Congrats. I wouldn’t recommend it for others though. Unless doing FM, 3 A-levels plus ideally an EPQ is the way to go in my opinion.
Reply 14
I've got nothing to add except more of the same - my youngest is doing Biology, Physics, Maths and Psychology, and doesn't want to drop any of them heading into year 13. He took on the physics as the fourth after we went to the subject session just to make sure he'd made the right decision NOT to do it, and turned round to me and said "I'm doing four!" He's on AABC in that order at the moment and was furious with himself as he believes he should be able to get A* in Maths so says he will work harder... If the grades slip any further (needs AAB) he can decide how to balance things.
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
It's normal to do 4 at AS and after that first year she may herself realise that taking all 4 to year 13 will be too much work so maybe just wait a year to see whether her opinion changes.

No, not now A levels are linear. AS levels really aren't valuable now they are stand-alone and most schools don't take them.
Original post by Artjen
I've got nothing to add except more of the same - my youngest is doing Biology, Physics, Maths and Psychology, and doesn't want to drop any of them heading into year 13. He took on the physics as the fourth after we went to the subject session just to make sure he'd made the right decision NOT to do it, and turned round to me and said "I'm doing four!" He's on AABC in that order at the moment and was furious with himself as he believes he should be able to get A* in Maths so says he will work harder... If the grades slip any further (needs AAB) he can decide how to balance things.

That's precisely why 4 is silly - AAA would be far better
thanks folks - I am trying help her make informed choices (and live with the consequences) so yes my plan A was to let her try and see how it works. She is old enough to make her own decisions, I just don't agree with this one but I won't turn it in to an argument - though arguing is something teenagers seem good at doing :smile:

I went to a selective school were 4 A levels was seen as a badge of honour, (thankfully) things seem to be different these days. Its good to understand what is "normal"

We discussed EPQ (I am a fan) but that was discounted, partly because they aren't that well supported by school - though I reckon you could do something interesting in the Vet field.

The work experience side of Vet Med is still ramping up, so my suspicion is once the scale / impact of that becomes clear then the decision will be made - the other problem is what subject to drop, but we will save that for another day . . .

When A levels were modular 4 A levels were common - they aren't now.
Reply 18
Original post by Muttley79
That's precisely why 4 is silly - AAA would be far better

AAA would be better if trying to get into a uni that wanted AAA. If preferred uni's standard offer is AAB or even ABB, would prediction of AAA be more likely to attract an offer than AABC?
Original post by Artjen
AAA would be better if trying to get into a uni that wanted AAA. If preferred uni's standard offer is AAB or even ABB, would prediction of AAA be more likely to attract an offer than AABC?

Yes

Quick Reply

Latest