The Student Room Group

Border force officer

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C98bax
Thank you same to you!
Not really sure to be fair. I think it works on merit from what I’ve read in the forums on recent years but I’m not 100%.

How did you find the interview? I’m assuming it was all strength based like mine was.

Thanks!

Hopefully we'll hear back soon! I previously had an interview at Land Reg which was all competency based and lasted almost an hour so I was expecting something similar but for the apprentice interview it was all strength based question, around 10 in total. It wasn't too bad but after I felt like my answers were short. I got a Good Demonstration though with 18 marks so it's not all bad. My friend went a few days and got 19 marks which was a Strong Demonstration so I just missed out.

Keep my updated if you hear anything!

Anyone else applied for the August 2019 Apprentice roles? How was the interviews?
Original post by dajackel12
Thanks!

Hopefully we'll hear back soon! I previously had an interview at Land Reg which was all competency based and lasted almost an hour so I was expecting something similar but for the apprentice interview it was all strength based question, around 10 in total. It wasn't too bad but after I felt like my answers were short. I got a Good Demonstration though with 18 marks so it's not all bad. My friend went a few days and got 19 marks which was a Strong Demonstration so I just missed out.

Keep my updated if you hear anything!

Anyone else applied for the August 2019 Apprentice roles? How was the interviews?

I really hope so.
I was worried after the interview too for the same reason, I was expecting to give all these examples and I felt I was giving them hardly anything. I got 20 marks overall with the same as your friend. Let me know if you hear anything too!
Reply 182
Has anyone had any movement from reserve list?
Original post by psg611
Has anyone had any movement from reserve list?

I've not heard anything. Anyone else?
My cousin was talking to the boss at the port I applied for and he said they are desperate for staff but brexit is the reason everything is on hold. There are 2 people working at my local port in total and there should be 4 people searching a lorry and in my second choice location the boss has apparently left due to stress of not enough staff and too high workloads. I’ve been told meetings are taking place all the time but they aren’t prepared to progress applications until after the general election and more certainty over Brexit. Most likely things will move in January time. If you have had an interview then you’re extremely lucky. I also contacted an MP about this and I was due to have a meeting but they called an election so that’s on hold now too.
Reply 185
Original post by CherryBlossom94
My cousin was talking to the boss at the port I applied for and he said they are desperate for staff but brexit is the reason everything is on hold. There are 2 people working at my local port in total and there should be 4 people searching a lorry and in my second choice location the boss has apparently left due to stress of not enough staff and too high workloads. I’ve been told meetings are taking place all the time but they aren’t prepared to progress applications until after the general election and more certainty over Brexit. Most likely things will move in January time. If you have had an interview then you’re extremely lucky.

Rumours at my port say no moves til March. May be wrong, just relaying that
Original post by twunt
Rumours at my port say no moves til March. May be wrong, just relaying that

I think whatever the rumours are it’s safe to say that there won’t be any movement for a while. I’m not putting my life on hold for it there’s too much uncertainty. If a good job comes up elsewhere in the meantime I’m taking it.
They are extremely short at the airport too.
Reply 188
Hi ,I am starting training at boarder force in April at Croydon .I was wondering what sort of accommodation you get is it hotel, Do you share a room ?. My induction is only two days long, is that it then until following week when I start pcp2 ,any help would be much appreciated .
Reply 189
Original post by ASK 22
Hi ,I am starting training at boarder force in April at Croydon .I was wondering what sort of accommodation you get is it hotel, Do you share a room ?. My induction is only two days long, is that it then until following week when I start pcp2 ,any help would be much appreciated .

Border*. You'll get your own hotel room.
Original post by ASK 22

I’m not sure you’ll get the answers you’re looking for on this thread as I think majority commenting are still waiting for an interview and have been since September. In case anyone else is interested I have been in touch with the border force again and they said it’s a rolling campaign and I’ll be contacted for an interview IF they decide to interview for my chosen location. Doesn’t sound promising. Also I have spoken to 2 MP’s one of which has decided to investigate the matter I’m waiting to hear back and another one told me that in Westminster they’ve been telling him recruitment is going well and so are interviews for all locations advertised and he was blindsided when I told him I’ve been waiting for an interview since September.
Reply 191
Original post by CherryBlossom94
I’m not sure you’ll get the answers you’re looking for on this thread as I think majority commenting are still waiting for an interview and have been since September. In case anyone else is interested I have been in touch with the border force again and they said it’s a rolling campaign and I’ll be contacted for an interview IF they decide to interview for my chosen location. Doesn’t sound promising. Also I have spoken to 2 MP’s one of which has decided to investigate the matter I’m waiting to hear back and another one told me that in Westminster they’ve been telling him recruitment is going well and so are interviews for all locations advertised and he was blindsided when I told him I’ve been waiting for an interview since September.

I had to wait a year for a interview, so it can be wait , once I had interview it was very quick process
Original post by ASK 22

Your two days are your initial induction. Following that, it'll probably go one of two ways.

You'll either go to a port until the next full training course is about to start or you could go directly to your five-week training followed by the one week PST course. After your training, you will be mentored by officers at port (usually for the first four weeks). After that, if you're signed off, you'll be working solo.
Hi all can anyone advise what scores do you need for merit list, had my interview today in Bristol
Original post by mcclorp
Hi all can anyone advise what scores do you need for merit list, had my interview today in Bristol

That's difficult to comment on, it works on a merit order basis the higher the score the better chance you have of securing a place on the reserve list/provisional offer, but it also depends on the number of vacancies they need to fill and the budget as well. So the bigger the budget means more vacancies, which means they will lower the score needed and n vice versa, hope this will help
Hi
I’m wondering if anyone can give me some advice anything will be gratefully received.
I received a provisional job offer back in November pending checks, they are now waiting for just one to be returned which is from my previous employment with the civil service 15years ago ( I was only employed with them on six month contract ) I’ve sent my old staff number but it appears the HR department have not answered the request.
Now they have asked me to contact the my old HR department and ask them to action the request.
If the HR department don’t action the request before 09/04/2020 ( less than two weeks) they will withdraw my offer!!

if any one has any guidance or a phone number for civil service HR. Maybe pay roll, it would be really appreciated as I can’t seem to get through to actually to talk to anyone especially in the current climate.
Thanks
Reply 196
Original post by Dustydoris
Hi
I’m wondering if anyone can give me some advice anything will be gratefully received.
I received a provisional job offer back in November pending checks, they are now waiting for just one to be returned which is from my previous employment with the civil service 15years ago ( I was only employed with them on six month contract ) I’ve sent my old staff number but it appears the HR department have not answered the request.
Now they have asked me to contact the my old HR department and ask them to action the request.
If the HR department don’t action the request before 09/04/2020 ( less than two weeks) they will withdraw my offer!!

if any one has any guidance or a phone number for civil service HR. Maybe pay roll, it would be really appreciated as I can’t seem to get through to actually to talk to anyone especially in the current climate.
Thanks

Hi there
Which civil service? Depends in which country and which Department 😁
Original post by Mjb.
Hi there
Which civil service? Depends in which country and which Department 😁

It was a (DWP) Job Center in Essex
Reply 198
Original post by Dustydoris
It was a (DWP) Job Center in Essex

Ok
Not one ive worked for unfortunately. I see you got some good advice on another post. Under normal circumstances i would take request to job centre (senior staff) and ask them to dial internal number for you. They are there to help find work. But now id def email and ask for time to be extended as suggested and keep trying all avenues to get a response from whichever HR is applicable. Good luck!
Original post by Mjb.
Ok
Not one ive worked for unfortunately. I see you got some good advice on another post. Under normal circumstances i would take request to job centre (senior staff) and ask them to dial internal number for you. They are there to help find work. But now id def email and ask for time to be extended as suggested and keep trying all avenues to get a response from whichever HR is applicable. Good luck!

Hi, did they say anything on how far back they needed job references for, when you initially applied? Is it worth querying that? Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending