The Student Room Group

intercalated BSc

Is an intercalated BSc worth the same as a normal degree?

My son is at medical school currently and is not enjoying his degree and we are all concerned about him returning back to university this year. I have had to make this post anonymous as he is concerned about being dismissed from medical school if the university finds out about his difficulties. He is planning on completing an intercalated degree and we are curious to know whether he could use this as a way to leave medicine but take a degree with him so the 3 years have not been completely wasted.

If anybody has any experience with intercalation, exit degree and so on then please let us know. What/ where did they intercalate in? Was it extremely difficult? Where do they work now?

As i have mentioned, this is really playing on our minds and we are trying to look for solutions. Would it be best for him to stay and see the degree to the end to widen his employment prospects?Currently he sees no future for himself in medicine and keeps saying he feels he has made a terrible mistake. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thank you for understanding
Original post by Anonymous
Would it be best for him to stay and see the degree to the end to widen his employment prospects?Currently he sees no future for himself in medicine and keeps saying he feels he has made a terrible mistake. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Terrible situation he's in, but if he can stick it out, that would be best. I take it he's got 2 years left? That isn't a lot.

Not sure why you think the med school would dismiss him if they out? If anything they'd provide support / a counsellor. This kind of thing is not uncommon at all when you consider the age we have to make the decision to commit.
(edited 4 years ago)
And to answer your question, yes, and intercalated degree is treated the same as any other honours degree. They will usually be titled 'Medical sciences with [insert subject here]' or similar. Most medical schools offer around 20 subjects (most based on medical science such as physiology, pharmacology, although subjects such as medical ethics or anthropology are available at some universities), but some only let the top x% (30-50) of their cohort intercalate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending