The Student Room Group

PhD Physics Application Help

Hello everyone

Thanks in advance for your help.
I am going to be applying for PhD from october this year onwards for entry in October 2024. My degree is in BSc Mathematics and Physics but I only just about achieved a 2.1. I am going to be doing a MSc in Theoretical Physics at KCL this September and will be working super hard to get a distinction. My question is since i will be applying before I have my masters grade will i be able to get a PhD place for physics providing my referees can vouch for me and predict me a distinction. Is there anything I can do to make myself stand out? I really want to do a PhD, but i feel like my undergrad degree will hinder my chances
Original post by aa26990699
Hello everyone

Thanks in advance for your help.
I am going to be applying for PhD from october this year onwards for entry in October 2024. My degree is in BSc Mathematics and Physics but I only just about achieved a 2.1. I am going to be doing a MSc in Theoretical Physics at KCL this September and will be working super hard to get a distinction. My question is since i will be applying before I have my masters grade will i be able to get a PhD place for physics providing my referees can vouch for me and predict me a distinction. Is there anything I can do to make myself stand out? I really want to do a PhD, but i feel like my undergrad degree will hinder my chances

a) they will advise you on all this when you start your Masters, if you ask them
b) you should consider taking a gap year and applying for a PhD with your Masters complete, where you referees can give full, recent and Masters level recommendations and you have strong grades.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
a) they will advise you on all this when you start your Masters, if you ask them
b) you should consider taking a gap year and applying for a PhD with your Masters complete, where you referees can give full, recent and Masters level recommendations and you have strong grades.

thank you, that was helpful.
Would it not be worth applying at all or could i apply after my semester 1 grades for example? (in feburary)
I just don't want to waste a year doing nothing or getting a graduate job and leaving after a year.
Original post by aa26990699
thank you, that was helpful.
Would it not be worth applying at all or could i apply after my semester 1 grades for example? (in feburary)
I just don't want to waste a year doing nothing or getting a graduate job and leaving after a year.

You don't waste it, you spend your Masters year looking for relevant lab assistant, research assistant type roles to fill the gap.

Your dept will tell you if it is worth applying after 1 term's grades, but with a less that spectacular undergrad the answer is very likely to be no, take a year out and apply with a completed Masters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending