The Student Room Group

Once people go to university, from Sixth Form/college?

In generally, once people leave Sixth Form or College and go to university they're often a good 100-200 miles from their town, or the one they went to school in. Obviously, it'll vary from person to person, but in general how are friendships and relationships (ie girlfriend) affected once you go to university?

Do you often stay in contact with people you knew quite well, or does it all start to disintergrate once you go to university and meet a wider range of people?

Just want opinions or experiences really. Thanks for any insight.
Reply 1
depends how much effort you put into maintaining those friendships and relationships. Although sites such as Facebook do make it easier to keep in touch, people are generally more interested in making new friends at uni as you are going to be there for possibly the next 3 or 4 years of your life. Uni is also a new beginning, and completely different from school and college/sixth form so its easy for people to drift apart, also many people change during their time at uni so they're not really the person you knew before :frown:
Ive hardly spoken to any of my friends from sixth form, even though one of them goes to the same uni as me i dont see her very often. And even when i do its just a quick 'hello, how are you?'
all my friends went to uni this year :frown:
cuz of ,my dropping out of college they ended up year above me
n i misses em like mad half the time
but EVERYONE was home at christmas :biggrin: (even people whose parents had moved from worcester....(where i live) ...they stayed with friends) had a meal n a few nights out
then easter a few were back :smile:
and odd weekends see a few people... like last night i was out with a few of them came bk specially...
but i think u notice little changes in people more :frown: which is a shame cuz sparks bitching.... but were all quite a close as a group :smile:
X x x
I'm not in touch with all of my friends from back home, most of the people I consider friends now are from uni. But I still have a select 5 or so people from home that I speak to regularly and will see when I go back to visit. You'll meet a lot of new people at uni but will probably stay in touch with some from home if you make the effort, its not difficult to send a text or a facebook message. :-)
Reply 4
All my friends from 6th form lived miles away (other side of city etc) even when we were at 6th form, so we were never that close i suppose.. Havent really seen anyone since i left :biggrin:
burninginme
In generally, once people leave Sixth Form or College and go to university they're often a good 100-200 miles from their town, or the one they went to school in. Obviously, it'll vary from person to person, but in general how are friendships and relationships (ie girlfriend) affected once you go to university?

Do you often stay in contact with people you knew quite well, or does it all start to disintergrate once you go to university and meet a wider range of people?

Just want opinions or experiences really. Thanks for any insight.

My good friends in my hometown are ones I'll never lose contact with, I think. I've still only met a handful of people at university with whom I get along so well as my friends at home, and so I don't think I'm going to be losing contact with them any time soon. We see each other every time the holidays roll around, and I even convinced a group of people to come back for my birthday, in the middle of term.

I'm still going out with the same girl I met at sixth form in my hometown, despite being several hundred miles away from her for a good portion of the year. It's difficult, but I think we've got a strong relationship, and get to see each other every 2/3 weeks in term time. I would love not to have to go through it anymore, and at my weakest moments I've considered how much easier it would be with someone at university, but I don't think I'll meet another girl like her, so those doubts are soon dispelled.
Reply 6
I'm still really good friends with them. Actually in my group of friends only about half of them actually went to the same 6th form as me, the other half went off to a college.
sarforaz
All my friends from 6th form lived miles away (other side of city etc) even when we were at 6th form, so we were never that close i suppose.. Havent really seen anyone since i left :biggrin:

thats what it was like for me...
all my group of friends went to same school n so live in same area
where as i live like 16 miles away
was talking about taxi's with them other day n there all like oh its £8 for me i aint payin that i walk... n "£10 for me n with a few..."
n i was like yeah... well its £50 for me..... i aint paying that!! lol

but i think since theyv all been away its made it easier... cuz means things are arranged early enough for me to sort out transport.... n i think ur more careful to make sure u do stuff.....
n Facebook is the most usefull thing in the world... noone ever replies to texts :mad:
Reply 8
I've kept in touch with about 5 people, but unfortunately it becomes really difficult. Facebook's fantastic though. I hardly spend any time back at home though because of job/girlfriend so it would be a lot easier if you spent more time at home in the holidays. If you want to keep in touch with them, you will. I wouldn't worry about it.

Latest

Trending

Trending