The Student Room Group

UChicago International Student?

Hey guys,

So now I'm approaching year 11, i've been thinking long and hard about whether I really want to study in the US and I noticed that UChicago is a test optional school so I can submit my A-Level grades instead of going through the hassle of taking the SAT/ACT so what are your opinions on trying to go for this? My GCSE grades are all predicted to be all 7's, 8's and 9's (only History for 7, rest 8 and 9) so I think I would have a good chance for scoring high on A-Levels and my EC'S are very good as well (DofE, Air Cadets, Dance, Red belt taekwondo, red belt judo, coding etc)
Thanks
If you really want to study in the US, it's definitely worth taking the ACT or SAT and submitting the scores if you get high enough, it will help with other applications to universities that aren't test optional.

In my opinion, for a school like UChicago you should get a few more ECs that show your leadership skills and passion for something. You are currently in the best position you can be in for getting more extracurriculars and awards/honours because US applications only consider the last 4 years of education (year 10-13), and also the best position to start preparing for the ACT/SAT (but obviously you'll take it either summer of Year 12 or just before you go into Year 13, so no need to take it very seriously yet).

If you're eligible, check out the Sutton Trust US Programme. If eligible, you'll apply for it in Year 12 and they help with admissions and loads of other stuff too.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys,

So now I'm approaching year 11, i've been thinking long and hard about whether I really want to study in the US and I noticed that UChicago is a test optional school so I can submit my A-Level grades instead of going through the hassle of taking the SAT/ACT so what are your opinions on trying to go for this? My GCSE grades are all predicted to be all 7's, 8's and 9's (only History for 7, rest 8 and 9) so I think I would have a good chance for scoring high on A-Levels and my EC'S are very good as well (DofE, Air Cadets, Dance, Red belt taekwondo, red belt judo, coding etc)
Thanks

University of Chicago accept A levels. So do NYU and a few other universites.
Reply 3
If you are applying in the US and want to for sure be accepted somewhere, you should probably take the SAT or ACT so that you can apply to other schools that require one of the two. Only applying to UChicago and NYU would be very ill-advised as those are both very competitive schools. UChicago had 32,000 applicants last year and a 7% acceptance rate. You will need to apply for mid range/safety schools as well if your primary goal is studying in the US. Having good A-levels/test results/EC's does not guarantee you a place at top universities, that is basically the minimum entry requirements. Competition at top US unis is very high and everyone in your applicant pool is going to have great grades and been super involved in high school.
I'm not saying you won't be able to get into those schools, I have no way of knowing that and you certainly have good grades, but to guarantee you can go to school in the US, you should apply to less competitive schools as well. If you can find backup schools that don't require the ACT or SAT then great, go for those, but I think you would have a lot more options if you take one of those exams!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending