The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Are the majority of students studying Classics home students?

Hi, at UCL majority of UG students are international. For the courses of Classics or the Ancient World, is there still a majority of international or is it different?
I ask because i go to an international school and have a lot of international friends and it wuold be nice to have more home friends. Thanks!!
I’m a home student with an offer for Classics at UCL.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
The majority of UG Classics students at UCL are home students, I do not know the exact split but it seems at least 70:30
I don't think Latin/Greek is that popular among international students, so hopefully there won't be many of them!!
Original post by raiyan12345
Hi, at UCL majority of UG students are international. For the courses of Classics or the Ancient World, is there still a majority of international or is it different?
I ask because i go to an international school and have a lot of international friends and it wuold be nice to have more home friends. Thanks!!

Think the BA Ancient Languages (which is a joint honours course with the Greek & Latin department) has had a good proportion of international students in recent years. It's a fairly small course though so won't be a huge proportion of the Greek & Latin department. When I did a couple modules in the department a few years ago there were certainly some international students, the above 70-30 is probably about what it was then.

Original post by Anonymous
I don't think Latin/Greek is that popular among international students, so hopefully there won't be many of them!!

Why "hopefully"?
Original post by artful_lounger
Think the BA Ancient Languages (which is a joint honours course with the Greek & Latin department) has had a good proportion of international students in recent years. It's a fairly small course though so won't be a huge proportion of the Greek & Latin department. When I did a couple modules in the department a few years ago there were certainly some international students, the above 70-30 is probably about what it was then.

Why "hopefully"?
Because it's ridiculous how many of them take up university spaces from hard working British students. Yes they may bring in more money for the university, but institutions like UCL are overrun with them. Why is 48% of the UCL student body made up of international students?? It's hard enough to meet people in university anyway, but when half of the students are from a completely different culture and primary language is different to your own it makes it even harder. A friend of mine is at UCL and about three fourths of the students on their course speak mandarin and they constantly feel isolated because there are no other British students!!!
Original post by Anonymous #2
Because it's ridiculous how many of them take up university spaces from hard working British students. Yes they may bring in more money for the university, but institutions like UCL are overrun with them. Why is 48% of the UCL student body made up of international students?? It's hard enough to meet people in university anyway, but when half of the students are from a completely different culture and primary language is different to your own it makes it even harder. A friend of mine is at UCL and about three fourths of the students on their course speak mandarin and they constantly feel isolated because there are no other British students!!!
The only courses in the UK which have quotas on how many students they can accept are medicine and dentistry. Unis are free to accept as many UK and international students as they want.

Also the entire point of going to university is learning how to interact with people who haven't lived in the same village their entire life. Meeting people from other countries is useful.

Besides which, if you or they don't want to interact it's not hard to avoid it and there's plenty of other people you can still interact with, even on the smallest of courses - such as mine which has about 10 new students per year give or take...

Maybe try putting down your copy of the daily mail.
Reply 7
Original post by raiyan12345
hi i'm a ucl offer holder for classics and i'm a home student :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending