The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ngemmell1
3 and under I should have said lol ive got a 2 and a half year old a 1 and a half year old and a 6 month old! Yeyy ive just seen the post about the december workshop im looking forward to it! I was wondering if anyone is applying for anything else along side midwifery I was planning on applying for nursing as im aware as much as I really want a place in midwifery its so hard to get in to xx

Oh I see haha! Still, that is very impressive! I have a 5, a 2 and a 3 month old 😊 I considered applying for nursing as well due to the competition for midwifery places but I’ve decided against it because if I’m completely honest with myself, I don’t want to be a nurse lol. I want to be a midwife so even if it takes me years to be accepted, I’m going to keep applying for it until they get fed up with me and let me on the course! My personal statement is also very much geared towards midwifery and I don’t want to tweak it to include nursing x
This is what made me unsure about applying for both due to the personal statement, i was thinking if i never got in to midwifery and got in to nursing i could do a post grad in midwifery after x
Reply 42
This is what made me unsure about applying for both due to the personal statement, i was thinking if i never got in to midwifery and got in to nursing i could do a post grad in midwifery after x

I don’t think you can do that anymore unfortunately. If you done nursing then I think even if you were fully qualified, to become a midwife you would still need to do the 3 years all over again x
Original post by Terri1990
I don’t think you can do that anymore unfortunately. If you done nursing then I think even if you were fully qualified, to become a midwife you would still need to do the 3 years all over again x

Sorry this is what i ment i would be willing to do the 3 year nursing first if it would give me a better chance of getting on to the midwife course x
Reply 44
Sorry this is what i ment i would be willing to do the 3 year nursing first if it would give me a better chance of getting on to the midwife course x

Oh I see lol. Well in that case, I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt to put nursing on your application as a back up. It would prob give u lots of experience and transferable skills for midwifery. I defo couldn’t afford to do that though 🙈 I’m going to need to budget massively for 3 years to do midwifery so absolutely couldn’t afford to be a student for 6 years x
I’ve decided just to apply not going to let my nerves put me off, after all the hard work I’ve done over the last 2 years to get to this point! Has anyone put their application in yet?
Im nearly ready to submit mine just waiting on my reference have you started your application xx
Im nearly ready to submit mine just waiting on my reference have you started your application xx

Ohh, good luck! I’ve done my personal statement, start volunteering and hospital placement in the next few weeks so going to wait until I have a bit of experience so I can add that in to my statement as I have no other experience I can talk about! Giving myself the deadline of before Christmas to have it submitted. Just feel my personal statement isn’t doing anything though just doesn’t seem the way I want it yet x
I think the uni actually prefers an academic reference if that is at all possible but if not, then yeh I think a previous employer would be okay. They are just looking for someone who knows you well to provide a character reference so as long as your previous employer was in the last 5 years and they still know you pretty well then I don’t see the harm I’m using them 😊 x

hey hey - just thought i'd let you know i managed to get a reference sorted 😁 thanks for your advice xx
Reply 49
Original post by littleteacup
hey hey - just thought i'd let you know i managed to get a reference sorted 😁 thanks for your advice xx

Fab glad to hear it! And best of luck to you with ur application 😊 x
Original post by Megan98x
Ohh, good luck! I’ve done my personal statement, start volunteering and hospital placement in the next few weeks so going to wait until I have a bit of experience so I can add that in to my statement as I have no other experience I can talk about! Giving myself the deadline of before Christmas to have it submitted. Just feel my personal statement isn’t doing anything though just doesn’t seem the way I want it yet x

This is what I really need to do is get some more experience to add in how and were are you planning to volunteer I would love to find something xx ive applied for tuck shifts in my mums work but the application process is quite slow xx
It’s so hard to find experience, I’ve got a 12 week placement on a hospital ward and hopefully going to be volunteering at a children’s hospice - interview tomorrow x
Original post by Megan98x
It’s so hard to find experience, I’ve got a 12 week placement on a hospital ward and hopefully going to be volunteering at a children’s hospice - interview tomorrow

Good luck with tomorrow, hope it goes well ok.
Enjoy your 12 weeks placement on hospital ward x
Thats amazing good luck tomorrow xx
Fab glad to hear it! And best of luck to you with ur application 😊 x

thank u! and you xxx

did you go to the open day on Sat? xxx
Reply 55
Original post by littleteacup
thank u! and you xxx

did you go to the open day on Sat? xxx

Thank you 😊

Yeh I did! Loved it. Did you? X
Hi everyone, Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread! I'm applying for 2020 also, but its a complete career change for me - I currently work in marketing within a school so not sure if I'll have any relevant experience! I missed the Open Day on Saturday and was wondering if I missed anything important? x
Thank you 😊

Yeh I did! Loved it. Did you? X

yeah it was the first time I had seen the uni - totally overwhelmed at the facilities they have! and the lecturers were so kind which put my mind at ease. Really glad I went 😁 are u applying to the msc or the bsc? xx
hiya!! experience is experience none the less 😁 we are all on diff patha so dont discredit yours. nothing massive - i feel I benefitted from going to see it all and chat with people but you wont be at a major disadvantage for not going so i wouldnt worry xxx
Reply 59
Original post by aimee224
Hi everyone, Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread! I'm applying for 2020 also, but its a complete career change for me - I currently work in marketing within a school so not sure if I'll have any relevant experience! I missed the Open Day on Saturday and was wondering if I missed anything important? x

I work for Royal Mail got an interview last year but was unsuccessful, you will have loads of skills they will be looking for. I have used this year to get some experience doing a course at Glasgow Clyde college and volunteering with home start. At the open day they said they were doing a night for aspiring students on the 4th December if you have Facebook it’s called uws midwifery society maybe drop them a message and see if you can go too xx

Latest

Trending

Trending