The Student Room Group

Radiotherapy or Railway Industry

Hi, I'm 24yrs. I live in London.
I work in the railway industry ever since I left retail.

I have university offer to study Therapeutic Radiotherapy in Scotland. I should have gone back in Sept 18 but to a gap year because I started working in the railway. My uni is starting in Sept 19 but I'm not even sure if its for me anymore? I love the railway ever since I got in and even have driven a simulation train 707 unit as it's my dream job. I tried so many times to get in Radiotherapy course in 15, 16, 17 and (18) I got offered a place from university. I had so much energy and passion for Radiotherapy for it back in 15,16 and 17 to get into Radiotherapy but never got in because of my poor results. I'm a complete loss, completely miserably at work, completely stress about my future. What if I don't like the radiotherapy course and dropout and waste a year and gain nothing but a lesson/experience.
My Dad wants me to do and this is what he said to me today 'if you're not sure of yourself, don't do it, if you don't have passion for it don't do it and stay with my current job'

The only thing I like about radiotherapy is that 'I can travel to different countries because I want to live in USA' this what I think if go for radiotherapy in the long run.

Any advice would be really appreciated as what to go for radiotherapy course or railway industry?

SK195 from a Train Station
A 92 year old friend of mine passed away this year, he was an engine driver all his life, LNER, Flying Scotsman, age of steam. He knew, he lived that life, even when retired. At age 88 he toured west europe by rail (free , naturally)

If you want to do trains, then do it - just set out a plan , where could I be in five years, will the rail industry give me license to learn (friends in the BR era did a degree in five years, one day per week, in engineering) is there a future in Rail? In the UK?

Or, Radiotherapy - write out a similar five year plan for this - how long to get degree, where to practise, do you like electromagnets and high voltages and dose rates and can understand that the effective dose amount of radiation from one adult chest x-ray, say , 100 microsieverts, is equivalent to how many days natural background radiation? What is a rad, rem, roentgen, and gray - and how do they compare to sieverts, or even microcuries?

You will need a degree in something to work in USA, radiotherapy is a decent qualification. if you push the button wrongly, (or enter the effective dose incorrectly in the operating system) or calibrate badly, or misalign the laser targeting or , or - then you can make patients more poorly - so you should only do this work with a full concentration and interest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending