The Student Room Group

Diagnostic Radiography second thoughts

Hi, first time user here. I’m currently set to start Diagnostic Radiography this September but I am having serious second thoughts. I will be 23 when the course starts, will I be older than all other on the course? For anyone currently studying the course what is a typical week like for a first year?
Original post by Tmay123
Hi, first time user here. I’m currently set to start Diagnostic Radiography this September but I am having serious second thoughts. I will be 23 when the course starts, will I be older than all other on the course? For anyone currently studying the course what is a typical week like for a first year?

You don't need to worry about your age - many mature students embark on healthcare courses so you won't be alone.

Timetables vary from uni to uni but from the open days I attended with my daughter, the first term appeared to focus on theory and simulation before students head out to placements. Try going to an offfer holder or open day at your firm choice and ask students and lecturers about the course in more detail. If you can't, email them instead and ask for the timetable.
Original post by Tmay123

I really wouldn't worry about your age, there will be loads of mature students on your course. I've just finished my radiotherapy degree and I'm 50! Not only that, I'm not even the oldest person in my cohort.
Original post by Tmay123

Hi, your age is fine, we have soo many people in their late 20s, 30s and two in their 40s. At 23 you will fit right in, Don't worry about the age pls.
However, I would say look at the career prospects and make sure you want to do this.
for the first year, it depends on your uni cause I know some start in November, but I had my first placement in Jan for 6 weeks and then academic and exams and then another 4 weeks at the end of June and then holidays.
Hi, I am in the same situation as you. I will be commencing a degree in Diagnostic Radiography this September and I am 28 years old so please do not worry. You are very young in all honesty!
Reply 5
Original post by HellomynameisNev
I really wouldn't worry about your age, there will be loads of mature students on your course. I've just finished my radiotherapy degree and I'm 50! Not only that, I'm not even the oldest person in my cohort.

Hello , I'm really curious about how you did a radiotherapy degree, can I ask where did you do it
Original post by Dumy
Hello , I'm really curious about how you did a radiotherapy degree, can I ask where did you do it

You can study radiotherapy (also known as therapeutic radiography) degree courses at AECC, Birmingham City, Cardiff, City (London), Glasgow Calendonian, Hertfordshire, Liverpool, Queen Margaret (Edinburgh), Sheffield Hallam, St George's (London), Suffolk and UWE Bristol.

There is a course finder here:

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/career-planning/course-finder
Original post by Dumy

Sheffield Hallam University, and my placement site was Castle Hill Hospital in Hull, which is where I am now employed.

Quick Reply

Latest