usman_m05
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi, I'm starting the GCSEs that I have not already started, and for English Literature, I have already got my three books ( An Inspectors Calls, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, and Julius Caesar). I want to be prepared just before I start school again, and I have decided that after I have read a book one time, I should go through it, and annotate it w/ my own views. After that, I can look at other resources (e.g. Mr Bruff, CGP). However, I am unsure what I need to look out for when I annotate w/ my own views; it would be great if someone could give me suggestions
BuckHowls
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by usman_m05)
Hi, I'm starting the GCSEs that I have not already started, and for English Literature, I have already got my three books ( An Inspectors Calls, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, and Julius Caesar). I want to be prepared just before I start school again, and I have decided that after I have read a book one time, I should go through it, and annotate it w/ my own views. After that, I can look at other resources (e.g. Mr Bruff, CGP). However, I am unsure what I need to look out for when I annotate w/ my own views; it would be great if someone could give me suggestions
Things to look out for when reading Shakespeare is literary techniques. E.g. metaphors, similes, rhyme, double entendres, sexual innuendos, irony, foreshadowing. Foreshadowing is a particularly big thing in Julius Caesar.
With Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde it is helpful to know some context about when it is set. Reading up about Victorian English society and morals is important to the plot of Jekyll and Hyde as repression of sexual desire and violence is a recurring theme in the text. You may want to annotate any passages that are descriptive with the intent to scare the reader- this links to the Gothic tradition of novels that were popular from the 18th century.

This article is a good starting point for getting into the themes in Jekyll and Hyde. It might be a bit difficult to read but it's a good introduction to studying the book.

https://www.bl.uk/romantics-and-vict...ll-and-mr-hyde
bleh_bleh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Look out for methods used by the author. Eg dramatic irony, use of props and sound effects in AIC, parallels and contrasts between characters. Try to identify the key themes in the play/ novel. Also, annotate any interpretations you may have for the characters. For example in AIC there’s a quotes about Mrs Birling along the lines of ‘a cold woman, her husband’s social superior’, annotate the different meaning that could have and do that for other quotes. You’ll go over it more in-depth in class. I hope this helps!
usman_m05
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by BuckHowls)
Things to look out for when reading Shakespeare is literary techniques. E.g. metaphors, similes, rhyme, double entendres, sexual innuendos, irony, foreshadowing. Foreshadowing is a particularly big thing in Julius Caesar.
With Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde it is helpful to know some context about when it is set. Reading up about Victorian English society and morals is important to the plot of Jekyll and Hyde as repression of sexual desire and violence is a recurring theme in the text. You may want to annotate any passages that are descriptive with the intent to scare the reader- this links to the Gothic tradition of novels that were popular from the 18th century.

This article is a good starting point for getting into the themes in Jekyll and Hyde. It might be a bit difficult to read but it's a good introduction to studying the book.

https://www.bl.uk/romantics-and-vict...ll-and-mr-hyde
Thanks a lot! It really helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (276)
15.5%
Uncertainty around my education (279)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (177)
9.94%
Isolating with family (126)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.44%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (149)
8.37%
Loneliness (176)
9.88%
Financial worries (72)
4.04%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (163)
9.15%
Exposure to negative news/social media (126)
7.07%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (158)
8.87%

Watched Threads