The Student Room Group

worth getting a remark?

so I'm well into the grade 8 boundary for history, and I'm 5 marks off a 9. There's 4 papers and I'm probably getting 1/2 papers remarked, buuut idk if my grade will change. I'm scared I'll go down to a 7 :frown:. what do you lot think i should do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by peachystudy
so I'm well into the grade 8 boundary for history, and I'm 5 marks off a 9. There's 4 papers and I'm probably getting 1/2 papers remarked, buuut idk if my grade will change. I'm scared I'll go down to a 7 :frown:. what do you lot think i should do?

5 marks is quite a few to gain, however someone I know gained 8 marks after remarking so it’s possible.
Have your teachers advised you to remark and is your school paying for it?
Reply 2

There's really no point. Your basically paying money to change something which will not interest universities in the slightest.
I would probably do it in your place. How many marks were you above the 8 threshold?
Original post by YaliaV
I would probably do it in your place. How many marks were you above the 8 threshold?

12 marks :smile: I got 166 and a grade 9 was 171.
12 marks :smile: I got 166 and a grade 9 was 171.

I think it’s very unlikely that you’ll go down. I would go for it.
Reply 6

The average mark change for GCSE history reviews last year was 0.7 so it looks unlikely that your grade will go up. You really don't need to worry about your grade going down. If I was in your position then I wouldn't expect my grade to change at all but if it did go up it would be a very nice surprise!
Reply 7

Also, which exam board was it?
Original post by Notnek
Also, which exam board was it?

OCR
Original post by Notnek
The average mark change for GCSE history reviews last year was 0.7 so it looks unlikely that your grade will go up. You really don't need to worry about your grade going down. If I was in your position then I wouldn't expect my grade to change at all but if it did go up it would be a very nice surprise!

oh okay. I'd assumed that it was more easy to gain marks in history because it's very much essay based, but guess not. thanks for the info. :smile:
Reply 10
OCR

Ok so you won't be able to gain access to your scripts for free but it's still an option before paying for a full remark. A teacher could then check if it's worth going for a remark. I thought that you'd already requested the review but you haven't yet. I wouldn't if I were in your position because of the low chance of change. But if someone is willing to pay then don't get too hopeful about your grade changing.
GUYS can you all help me out deciding what I should do?

the situation is I'm one mark off a 9 in spanish, my teacher has looked at the scripts and found an error in the marking of one of the questions.

I'm also one mark off a 9 in physics.

do you think its worth getting them remarked?? I am just scared I'll go down a grade haha its pathetic :s-smilie:
Reply 12
Original post by clouddbubbles

the situation is I'm one mark off a 9 in spanish, my teacher has looked at the scripts and found an error in the marking of one of the questions.

do you think its worth getting them remarked?? I am just scared I'll go down a grade haha its pathetic :s-smilie:

Spanish sounds like it’s definitely worth a review but there’s no guarantee that a senior examiner will agree with your teacher. You really shouldn’t be worrying about your grade going down because it’s so unlikely (especially now your teacher had checked it). If it does go down feel free to blame me :smile:

For physics has a teacher checked your script?
Reply 13

Also FYI the average mark change for Spanish last year was 1.4 marks (higher than most other subjects) and for physics it was 1.0 marks although this includes increases and decreases. Both of your grades have a decent chance of changing according to the stats and for Spanish it may even be more than a 50% chance.
Original post by Notnek
Spanish sounds like it’s definitely worth a review but there’s no guarantee that a senior examiner will agree with your teacher. You really shouldn’t be worrying about your grade going down because it’s so unlikely (especially now your teacher had checked it). If it does go down feel free to blame me :smile:

For physics has a teacher checked your script?

for spanish it seems they put the wrong mark into the system for one of the questions so it is likely that it will go up, but still :eek3:
for physics my script hasn't been checked, paper 2 is the weakness and both my physics teacher and head of department have recommended it, mostly based on the fact I got 9's in biology and chemistry too, but I'm still worried.
Reply 15
for spanish it seems they put the wrong mark into the system for one of the questions so it is likely that it will go up, but still :eek3:
for physics my script hasn't been checked, paper 2 is the weakness and both my physics teacher and head of department have recommended it, mostly based on the fact I got 9's in biology and chemistry too, but I'm still worried.

You need to trust the statistics! If you were 1 mark from the next grade then it's extremely unlikely that either grade will go down. Also, it's best not to assume that either grade will go up because most don't. Even if your teacher thinks it will go up, there's no guarantee that the examiner will agree since the last examiner that marked your exam didn't :smile:
Original post by Notnek
You need to trust the statistics! If you were 1 mark from the next grade then it's extremely unlikely that either grade will go down. Also, it's best not to assume that either grade will go up because most don't. Even if your teacher thinks it will go up, there's no guarantee that the examiner will agree since the last examiner that marked your exam didn't :smile:

okay so essentially I need to stop worrying about physics and hope it stays the same or, if luck is on my side, it goes up.
as for spanish, my teacher checked and saw they put 3 correct marks on the system when he has checked and I have 4 correct marks there. so fingers crossed for spanish, but I guess anything could still happen. its worth going for remarks in both then??
Reply 17
okay so essentially I need to stop worrying about physics and hope it stays the same or, if luck is on my side, it goes up.
as for spanish, my teacher checked and saw they put 3 correct marks on the system when he has checked and I have 4 correct marks there. so fingers crossed for spanish, but I guess anything could still happen. its worth going for remarks in both then??

I would definitely get Spanish reviewed. Will your teacher be checking your physics script or is that not an option? Was it Edexcel?
Original post by Notnek
I would definitely get Spanish reviewed. Will your teacher be checking your physics script or is that not an option? Was it Edexcel?

spanish was edexcel. physics is aqa so not sure it's an option, and if it is it will cost money. might just risk it with physics and have confidence in the 18 marks between an 8 and a 9 that should hopefully mean I don't go down a grade?
Reply 19
spanish was edexcel. physics is aqa so not sure it's an option, and if it is it will cost money. might just risk it with physics and have confidence in the 18 marks between an 8 and a 9 that should hopefully mean I don't go down a grade?

Personally I'd get Physics reviewed but it's hard to know which paper to choose if you're only choosing one since a single mark can be picked up anywhere, even if you've done really well in a particular paper. Are you planning to do one at a time?

Quick Reply

Latest