The Student Room Group

Are my GCSEs good enough to consider Oxbridge?!

I always was interested in oxbridge however I felt I wasn’t naturally clever enough and told myself the only reason I did well in my GCSEs was because I worked hard and learned the content which isn’t necessarily an indicator of exceptional intelligence (what Oxbridge is looking for)

I got my results back last week and got 9999998877 with an A* in further maths aswell. Are these good enough grades to consider at least trying as I am thinking I may be able to work harder again for A-level and hopefully do well again.

I am just worried I am not NATURALLY clever enough and that I will be up against people who got straight 9s without putting in as much time and effort as I did.
Reply 1
Original post by indiapaige
I always was interested in oxbridge however I felt I wasn’t naturally clever enough and told myself the only reason I did well in my GCSEs was because I worked hard and learned the content which isn’t necessarily an indicator of exceptional intelligence (what Oxbridge is looking for)

I got my results back last week and got 9999998877 with an A* in further maths aswell. Are these good enough grades to consider at least trying as I am thinking I may be able to work harder again for A-level and hopefully do well again.

I am just worried I am not NATURALLY clever enough and that I will be up against people who got straight 9s without putting in as much time and effort as I did.

What subject are you interested in for Oxbridge?
Reply 2
Original post by Scotney
What subject are you interested in for Oxbridge?

law or something economics based eg PPE or economics and management :smile:x thanks for the reply
Reply 3
I have quite a few friends studying at oxbridge, tbh id say apply and give it a go. you can't loose anything by trying, also if your taking your A levels just remember to treat it like a 9-5 the first year feels like a doss but their usually is a significant jump in difficulty somewhere in the mid/end of first year and if you want to go for a place at Oxbridge you have to be prepared much sooner than most students.

Hope that's somewhat helpful.
Reply 4
Original post by JRLD123
I have quite a few friends studying at oxbridge, tbh id say apply and give it a go. you can't loose anything by trying, also if your taking your A levels just remember to treat it like a 9-5 the first year feels like a doss but their usually is a significant jump in difficulty somewhere in the mid/end of first year and if you want to go for a place at Oxbridge you have to be prepared much sooner than most students.

Hope that's somewhat helpful.

Thank you so much! It was very helpful. How much extra time would you recommend putting in from the start of year 12?
Yes, those grades are brilliant and won’t disadvantage you for Oxbridge
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous

Okay thank you very much for your opinioooon:smile:

sorry not to hijack this thread but could you rate mine for cambridge comp sci please?

not as high as OP obviously but i’d appreciate a blunt answer. 55 in foundation science rip
Original post by sweatersquig
sorry not to hijack this thread but could you rate mine for cambridge comp sci please?

not as high as OP obviously but i’d appreciate a blunt answer. 55 in foundation science rip

I think the fact that you did combined and foundation science is rater detrimentally offputting, especially as you will be applying for a science degree after all.
Reply 9
law or something economics based eg PPE or economics and management :smile:x thanks for the reply

Have a look at relevant Oxford web pages and make sure you are doing right A levels for subject. Gcse grades are good enough! Have you considered going to the open day 20th Sept and book place on subject talk. It may reassure you about whether or not you would be a good fit. Gentle reminder to rep posts you like.
I think the fact that you did combined and foundation science is rater detrimentally offputting, especially as you will be applying for a science degree after all.

yikes welp too late to do anything about that now

apart from that, how **** are they?

wowowow ur grades are phenomenal, doing my gcses next year n i pray i get close to ur grades, damn
Reply 12
Original post by sweatersquig
yikes welp too late to do anything about that now

apart from that, how **** are they?

Your GCSE grades are not an issue for Comp Sci at Cambridge.

You might want to work on your independent research skills though.
Original post by 2500_2
Your GCSE grades are not an issue for Comp Sci at Cambridge.

You might want to work on your independent research skills though.

The amount of times I have thought that on here over last 2 weeks! :eek:
Thank you! I didn’t do very well in my end of year 10’s and managed to improve a LOT during year 11. I went from a 2 to a 9 in RS:biggrin: Anything is possibly if you put in the work:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending