The Student Room Group

Am I good enough for Oxford?

I just wondered what everyone’s thoughts and views are on my situation - positively to be honest I don’t really know what to think myself.

Firstly, to begin everything ... all the universities whom responded to my UCAS rejected my application ... but Oxford (&Warwick although they eventually did) for Law.

I received an offer for Law at Oxford at my chosen college and Warwick.

I didn’t get my grades (predicted A*A*A) ... I narrowly missed with AAB and following a remark ... I still have the same grades. Not only this, but the B was in History a crucial subject (missing the A by 3 marks).

However, despite Warwick deferring me to a History degree, Oxford offered me Law at a different college!!

I AM ELATED - don’t get me wrong ... so so SO happy!

But I can’t help feeling, before I have even arrived, that I’m inadequate and academically unable to take on an Oxford degree. Not only that but my admissions test upon results (LNAT as not exclusive to the university) was average.

I don’t really understand ... should I be as scared and nervous as I am. I am just in hope one of you has had a similar experience and can offer some advice. Will I have to work harder than everyone else? Will the tutors expect me to do extra work? What about future prospects will I struggle to progress into a job in Law?

Scroll to see replies

@The_Lonely_Goatherd might be able to discuss their experiences of being in that situation :smile:

Ultimately though, the admissions tutors are extremely experienced and have been doing their jobs for years. They will take into account your entire application "packet", and consider your performance in interview, any admissions assessments and submitted work, as well as how narrowly you missed their offer. In this case they're confident you'll be able to cope with the course, in spite of getting lower on a single exam in your A-levels.

Trust in their faith in you, and have faith in your own abilities! Taking exams is just one aspect of doing well academically, and while it is important at Oxford, it's not in of itself a sufficient condition to do well in an Oxford course (as far as I can tell, anyway). They believe you have the necessary conditions to do well, which is the important thing.
(edited 4 years ago)
:smile:Thank you!!!
Original post by artful_lounger
@The_Lonely_Goatherd might be able to discuss their experiences of being in that situation :smile:

Ultimately though, the admissions tutors are extremely experienced and have been doing their jobs for years. They will take into account your entire application "packet", and consider your performance in interview, any admissions assessments and submitted work, as well as how narrowly you missed their offer. In this case they're confident you'll be able to cope with the course, in spite of getting lower on a single exam in your A-levels.

Trust in their faith in you, and have faith in your own abilities! Taking exams is just one aspect of doing well academically, and while it is important at Oxford, it's not in of itself a sufficient condition to do well in an Oxford course (as far as I can tell, anyway). They believe you have the necessary conditions to do well, which is the important thing.
That's a really amazing story and I'm so happy you got in! I think a lot of people get a kind of imposter syndrome when it comes to Oxbridge because there is so much prestige but the admissions tutors know what they are doing. I think also when you get there no one really should care about how you got in. Just enjoy the ride :smile:
Original post by jennifugh
That's a really amazing story and I'm so happy you got in! I think a lot of people get a kind of imposter syndrome when it comes to Oxbridge because there is so much prestige but the admissions tutors know what they are doing. I think also when you get there no one really should care about how you got in. Just enjoy the ride :smile:

:o:DThat’s honestly the best way I’ve heard anyone describe how I should feel, just enjoy and go with it - thank you so much!
Hello :biggrin:

Thanks for the tag! :smile: I have a lot to say on this topic (as someone who was also "let in" to Oxford with "only" AAB) but I'm not too well today and am struggling to write coherently. Hope to post my thoughts later on today, or else tomorrow.

Poke me if I forget :poke:
Original post by bostonrosew
I just wondered what everyone’s thoughts and views are on my situation - positively to be honest I don’t really know what to think myself.

Firstly, to begin everything ... all the universities whom responded to my UCAS rejected my application ... but Oxford (&Warwick although they eventually did) for Law.

I didn’t get my grades (predicted A*A*A) ... I narrowly missed with AAB and following a remark ... I still have the same grades. Not only this, but the B was in History a crucial subject (missing the A by 3 marks).

However, despite Warwick deferring me to a History degree, Oxford offered me Law at a different college!!

But I can’t help feeling, before I have even arrived, that I’m inadequate and academically unable to take on an Oxford degree. Not only that but my admissions test upon results (LNAT as not exclusive to the university) was average.

I don’t really understand ... should I be as scared and nervous as I am. I am just in hope one of you has had a similar experience and can offer some advice. Will I have to work harder than everyone else? Will the tutors expect me to do extra work? What about future prospects will I struggle to progress into a job in Law?

I don't think you should worry too much about your A Levels. You're doing a completely different subject now, and everyone will be on a similar starting ground. Remember, you have 3 years at Oxford to get better, and most Oxford students do well in their exams (ie most Law students get 2:1s). What you do now is so much more important. Once you've started, you'll quickly forget about A Levels. Trust your tutors, and trust yourself!
...I didn’t get my grades (predicted A*A*A) ... I narrowly missed with AAB and following a remark ... I still have the same grades. Not only this, but the B was in History a crucial subject (missing the A by 3 marks).

However... Oxford offered me Law at a different college!!

Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :biggrin:

Sorry about yesterday or whenever it was - brain wasn't working. Back to functioning order today and am able to write you a decent reply :yep:

Background context to my post:

Spoiler

Based on my own three years at Oxford and my experiences of telling both tutors and fellow students about my missed grades, and muddling through the heavy workload that comes with an Oxford degree, I'd like to reassure you that:

1. While your fears about being "inadequate and academically unable to take on an Oxford degree" are common for someone in your position, they are unfounded. Oxbridge have long known that A Level grades (or equivalents) aren't the best measure of someone's intelligence. One B at A Level doesn't define you at all - even if it was in a facilitating subject like History! It does not mean you've failed or that you are suddenly somehow not "worthy" (what does that even mean in this context?!?!?! :dontknow: :erm: :moon: ) of your Oxford place. You are still as intelligent as you were the day before your results - one B does not change that at all :nah: You will not have to do extra work to "prove" yourself. In fact, you don't need to do ANYTHING to prove yourself to your tutors, your peers, or yourself.

2. Oxbridge tutors very rarely get it wrong. They have sifted through God-knows-how-many UCAS applications, screened out people via admissions tests, interviewed some candidates and decided that YOU, above loads of others, deserved the offer/place. As you're of course aware, when you missed your grades, they were under no obligation to take you - but they did "anyway"! This means they really like you and really believe in your capabilities or potential. If your LNAT results really were as average as you say, then you must have seriously impressed them to pull off this feat!

3. You are NOT inferior to any of your peers who achieved their offer grades. One or two ****ers possibly might get a bit snooty about it, granted. If that happens, you *****slap them (metaphorically. Poss literally :ninja: ) and don't pay any attention to them whatsoever. If it becomes a point for long-term bullying, then report it. Out of everyone who knew me/about my grades, only one person was rude to me about my grades - and that was purely because he was insecure about his own AS Level grades! Once I eventually reported his behaviour, it was taken very seriously and dealt with exceedingly swiftly. I was asked if I would be happy if that person "disappeared" from Oxford (i.e. got "sent down" or expelled). I said I didn't want that, so he remained. But this shows that anyone belittling you will not be tolerated by your college tutors, or your college/faculty in general!

4. Kinda related to points 1 and 2 - imposter syndrome is INCREDIBLY common at Oxford. It's often the "elephant in the room", in that people are scared to talk about it - to be seen as vulnerable, struggling and/or not entirely "getting"/"enjoying" the "student experience". But I'll bet you hands down a LOT of money that 95% (if not more) of your peers will also have imposter syndrome. It goes with the territory. That said: just because you feel this way now, it (a) doesn't mean it's true, or (b) mean you will feel like this forever. As you grow in confidence, you will see that this is just a inconsequential blip.

I don't believe law is a subject where there's an A Level "cut-off" thing for jobs, like there is in investment banking, for example. In any case, no one in their right mind is going to sneer at AAB if you've got a good (by which I mean, 2.1 or First) degree from Oxford. It is THE place to be for law (along with The Other Place :nothing: ). You will be part of the creme de la creme! :awesome: :smartass: :yeah:

My honest advice (though this might seem a bit daunting) is to ask your college tutors early on why they decided to take you anyway. I put up with a whole year of racist, misogynist, class-ist bullying from the aforementioned peer who took issue with me. I let him make me feel inferior, unworthy, unwanted and like some godforsaken "tick-box" candidate who got in due to being a minority in various senses. When I finally cracked at the very end of my first year and blurted out what had been happening to my tutor and said "I don't know why I'm here", he was SO upset that I'd been feeling this way and never told him! :frown: He didn't even remember me missing my grades, let alone sit there a whole academic year thinking "why did I take her in without the grades?!?" :facepalm:

So basically, I'd got into a right tizz for no reason whatsoever :colondollar: DON'T BE LIKE ME! Be assertive, be confident, own your grades and hold your head high :h: If it would help to PM me, just drop me a line with a reminder of who you are/your OP :hugs:
: you may find this thread of interest :smile:
thank you so much i’d appreciate hearing your story thank you and I hope you feel better soon!
thank you so much i’d appreciate hearing your story thank you and I hope you feel better soon!

You will be fine - enjoy Oxford!

They weren't looking at your past record, they were looking for your potential. If you didn't have that secret ingredient, you would have never been offered a place at Oxford. Everyone has to work hard. No, the tutors will not expect you to do more work. You are not inferior, but just as good as everyone else. I doubt if you will have trouble getting work if you have an Oxford law degree. Don't worry about struggling in the future. Enjoy now. Make some great friends (my son's best friend is a law student). Go to all the networking events and let your personality shine. Get into your subject.

My son wrote a chapter about what it's like when you first come up to Oxford in my book. He talks a bit about imposter syndrome there. And also how much fun it is! Read on and picture yourself there! Yes, it's hard work, but there will be unforgettable times.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=84939464&highlight=Oxford%20Demystified

Enjoy your time at Oxford :dancing2:

There will be plenty of others who also missed their grades my son was one of 3 in his college for biology. However he only found this out nr the end of the course. I agree ask your tutors why they chose you early on but keep your grades to yourself or rather just lie if it suits you.
Son suffered from imposter syndrome until he started getting good marks in his essays(and there will be plenty of them!). Then he just relaxed and got on with it.He got a first so his tutors were obviously right.
You are so lucky do not waste your time with self doubt. Enjoy Oxford it is fantastic in so many ways. What college btw?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by the_lonely_goatherd
helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :d

sorry about yesterday or whenever it was - brain wasn't working. Back to functioning order today and am able to write you a decent reply :yep:

Spoiler

based on my own three years at oxford and my experiences of telling both tutors and fellow students about my missed grades, and muddling through the heavy workload that comes with an oxford degree, i'd like to reassure you that:

1. While your fears about being "inadequate and academically unable to take on an oxford degree" are common for someone in your position, they are unfounded. oxbridge have long known that a level grades (or equivalents) aren't the best measure of someone's intelligence. One b at a level doesn't define you at all - even if it was in a facilitating subject like history! It does not mean you've failed or that you are suddenly somehow not "worthy" (what does that even mean in this context?!?!?! :dontknow: :erm: :moon: ) of your oxford place. You are still as intelligent as you were the day before your results - one b does not change that at all :nah: You will not have to do extra work to "prove" yourself. In fact, you don't need to do anything to prove yourself to your tutors, your peers, or yourself.

2. Oxbridge tutors very rarely get it wrong. They have sifted through god-knows-how-many ucas applications, screened out people via admissions tests, interviewed some candidates and decided that you, above loads of others, deserved the offer/place. As you're of course aware, when you missed your grades, they were under no obligation to take you - but they did "anyway"! This means they really like you and really believe in your capabilities or potential. If your lnat results really were as average as you say, then you must have seriously impressed them to pull off this feat!

3. You are not inferior to any of your peers who achieved their offer grades. One or two ****ers possibly might get a bit snooty about it, granted. If that happens, you *****slap them (metaphorically. Poss literally :ninja: ) and don't pay any attention to them whatsoever. If it becomes a point for long-term bullying, then report it. Out of everyone who knew me/about my grades, only one person was rude to me about my grades - and that was purely because he was insecure about his own as level grades! Once i eventually reported his behaviour, it was taken very seriously and dealt with exceedingly swiftly. I was asked if i would be happy if that person "disappeared" from oxford (i.e. Got "sent down" or expelled). I said i didn't want that, so he remained. But this shows that anyone belittling you will not be tolerated by your college tutors, or your college/faculty in general!

4. Kinda related to points 1 and 2 - imposter syndrome is incredibly common at oxford. It's often the "elephant in the room", in that people are scared to talk about it - to be seen as vulnerable, struggling and/or not entirely "getting"/"enjoying" the "student experience". But i'll bet you hands down a lot of money that 95% (if not more) of your peers will also have imposter syndrome. It goes with the territory. That said: Just because you feel this way now, it (a) doesn't mean it's true, or (b) mean you will feel like this forever. As you grow in confidence, you will see that this is just a inconsequential blip.

I don't believe law is a subject where there's an a level "cut-off" thing for jobs, like there is in investment banking, for example. In any case, no one in their right mind is going to sneer at aab if you've got a good (by which i mean, 2.1 or first) degree from oxford. It is the place to be for law (along with the other place :nothing: ). You will be part of the creme de la creme! :awesome: :smartass: :yeah:

My honest advice (though this might seem a bit daunting) is to ask your college tutors early on why they decided to take you anyway. I put up with a whole year of racist, misogynist, class-ist bullying from the aforementioned peer who took issue with me. I let him make me feel inferior, unworthy, unwanted and like some godforsaken "tick-box" candidate who got in due to being a minority in various senses. When i finally cracked at the very end of my first year and blurted out what had been happening to my tutor and said "i don't know why i'm here", he was so upset that i'd been feeling this way and never told him! :frown: he didn't even remember me missing my grades, let alone sit there a whole academic year thinking "why did i take her in without the grades?!?" :facepalm:

So basically, i'd got into a right tizz for no reason whatsoever :colondollar: don't be like me! Be assertive, be confident, own your grades and hold your head high :h if it would help to pm me, just drop me a line with a reminder of who you are/your op :hugs:

thank you so so so so so so much <3
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :biggrin:

Sorry about yesterday or whenever it was - brain wasn't working. Back to functioning order today and am able to write you a decent reply :yep:

Spoiler

Based on my own three years at Oxford and my experiences of telling both tutors and fellow students about my missed grades, and muddling through the heavy workload that comes with an Oxford degree, I'd like to reassure you that:

1. While your fears about being "inadequate and academically unable to take on an Oxford degree" are common for someone in your position, they are unfounded. Oxbridge have long known that A Level grades (or equivalents) aren't the best measure of someone's intelligence. One B at A Level doesn't define you at all - even if it was in a facilitating subject like History! It does not mean you've failed or that you are suddenly somehow not "worthy" (what does that even mean in this context?!?!?! :dontknow: :erm: :moon: ) of your Oxford place. You are still as intelligent as you were the day before your results - one B does not change that at all :nah: You will not have to do extra work to "prove" yourself. In fact, you don't need to do ANYTHING to prove yourself to your tutors, your peers, or yourself.

2. Oxbridge tutors very rarely get it wrong. They have sifted through God-knows-how-many UCAS applications, screened out people via admissions tests, interviewed some candidates and decided that YOU, above loads of others, deserved the offer/place. As you're of course aware, when you missed your grades, they were under no obligation to take you - but they did "anyway"! This means they really like you and really believe in your capabilities or potential. If your LNAT results really were as average as you say, then you must have seriously impressed them to pull off this feat!

3. You are NOT inferior to any of your peers who achieved their offer grades. One or two ****ers possibly might get a bit snooty about it, granted. If that happens, you *****slap them (metaphorically. Poss literally :ninja: ) and don't pay any attention to them whatsoever. If it becomes a point for long-term bullying, then report it. Out of everyone who knew me/about my grades, only one person was rude to me about my grades - and that was purely because he was insecure about his own AS Level grades! Once I eventually reported his behaviour, it was taken very seriously and dealt with exceedingly swiftly. I was asked if I would be happy if that person "disappeared" from Oxford (i.e. got "sent down" or expelled). I said I didn't want that, so he remained. But this shows that anyone belittling you will not be tolerated by your college tutors, or your college/faculty in general!

4. Kinda related to points 1 and 2 - imposter syndrome is INCREDIBLY common at Oxford. It's often the "elephant in the room", in that people are scared to talk about it - to be seen as vulnerable, struggling and/or not entirely "getting"/"enjoying" the "student experience". But I'll bet you hands down a LOT of money that 95% (if not more) of your peers will also have imposter syndrome. It goes with the territory. That said: just because you feel this way now, it (a) doesn't mean it's true, or (b) mean you will feel like this forever. As you grow in confidence, you will see that this is just a inconsequential blip.

I don't believe law is a subject where there's an A Level "cut-off" thing for jobs, like there is in investment banking, for example. In any case, no one in their right mind is going to sneer at AAB if you've got a good (by which I mean, 2.1 or First) degree from Oxford. It is THE place to be for law (along with The Other Place :nothing: ). You will be part of the creme de la creme! :awesome: :smartass: :yeah:

My honest advice (though this might seem a bit daunting) is to ask your college tutors early on why they decided to take you anyway. I put up with a whole year of racist, misogynist, class-ist bullying from the aforementioned peer who took issue with me. I let him make me feel inferior, unworthy, unwanted and like some godforsaken "tick-box" candidate who got in due to being a minority in various senses. When I finally cracked at the very end of my first year and blurted out what had been happening to my tutor and said "I don't know why I'm here", he was SO upset that I'd been feeling this way and never told him! :frown: He didn't even remember me missing my grades, let alone sit there a whole academic year thinking "why did I take her in without the grades?!?" :facepalm:

So basically, I'd got into a right tizz for no reason whatsoever :colondollar: DON'T BE LIKE ME! Be assertive, be confident, own your grades and hold your head high :h: If it would help to PM me, just drop me a line with a reminder of who you are/your OP :hugs:

THANK YOU SO SO SO SO SO SO MUCH <3

(Original post by Oxford Mum)They weren't looking at your past record, they were looking for your potential. If you didn't have that secret ingredient, you would have never been offered a place at Oxford. Everyone has to work hard. No, the tutors will not expect you to do more work. You are not inferior, but just as good as everyone else. I doubt if you will have trouble getting work if you have an Oxford law degree. Don't worry about struggling in the future. Enjoy now. Make some great friends (my son's best friend is a law student). Go to all the networking events and let your personality shine. Get into your subject.

My son wrote a chapter about what it's like when you first come up to Oxford in my book. He talks a bit about imposter syndrome there. And also how much fun it is! Read on and picture yourself there! Yes, it's hard work, but there will be unforgettable times.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=84939464&highlight=Oxford%20Demystified

Enjoy your time at Oxford :dancing2:
Reply 15

which a levels did u take may i ask? im taking geography english literature and business 2 of them r facilitating im not sure if theyre good enough subjects to apply for with to oxbridge and russell brook unis.
Original post by safiza
which a levels did u take may i ask? im taking geography english literature and business 2 of them r facilitating im not sure if theyre good enough subjects to apply for with to oxbridge and russell brook unis.

What course are you hoping to do. What are your gcse's like? What year are you in?
Reply 17
Original post by Scotney
What course are you hoping to do. What are your gcse's like? What year are you in?

in my gcses i got 7s and 6s i went to a comprehensive school, i go to a grammar now and im in yr 12, id like to do law at uni then break into investment banking, but i heard they only accept u if ur from a good uni like russell group unis and oxbridge. however ik my gcses will hold me back when turning in my application for oxbridge. any advice id really appreciate, thanks!
Original post by safiza
in my gcses i got 7s and 6s i went to a comprehensive school, i go to a grammar now and im in yr 12, id like to do law at uni then break into investment banking, but i heard they only accept u if ur from a good uni like russell group unis and oxbridge. however ik my gcses will hold me back when turning in my application for oxbridge. any advice id really appreciate, thanks!

Well first things first you need to concentrate on getting best possible grades and predicted grades at A2. Look up Law Courses you would be interested in and their grade requirements. Oxbridge may be possible if you went to deprived or poorly performing school. There are Law forums on here take a look but do not be put off by the 5A star guys. Just get the information. Law is not my area but AAA would get you in most RG unis BBB minimum to get considered for placements. Do your research you have time and every chance if you deliver at A2.
Reply 19
Original post by Scotney
Well first things first you need to concentrate on getting best possible grades and predicted grades at A2. Look up Law Courses you would be interested in and their grade requirements. Oxbridge may be possible if you went to deprived or poorly performing school. There are Law forums on here take a look but do not be put off by the 5A star guys. Just get the information. Law is not my area but AAA would get you in most RG unis BBB minimum to get considered for placements. Do your research you have time and every chance if you deliver at A2.

yeh i did so thats a plus, thanks for the help and advice. so my subject combination is fine yeh?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending