The Student Room Group

LNAT Preparation for 2020 entry - Official Thread

The LNAT is an online aptitude test used by certain universities to help them to shortlist candidates. It tests general comprehension and reasoning skills (not legal knowledge) via a combination of multiple-choice questions (which make up your LNAT score) plus an essay. You can take it before or after submitting your UCAS form but can only take it once per admissions cycle. The LNAT Universities in the UK are Oxford, LSE, UCL, Kings, Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Glasgow and SOAS (not compulsory at SOAS for A level/IB students although a high LNAT score may result in a better offer).

The average score varies from year to year and there is no official pass mark. However, Nottingham do have a cut off point below which people will be rejected or offered alternative courses, which in 2019 was 21. In the 2019/20 cycle, both Nottingham and Kings seemed to give out a lot of alternative offers to people with good A levels/IB but who got an LNAT score of 20 or below.

As a guide, the average Multiple choice score for successful applicants in 2019/2020 was 21.5 and 23 in the previous cycle. However, many successful applicants scored lower than this while successful applicants to places like Oxford & UCL tended to score higher. Only Oxford, UCL and Bristol give the essay a numerical score, although Kings uses it to distinguish between borderline applicants and Durham considers it "holistically" along with other aspects of the application. LSE do not currently consider the essay at all in their assessment of applicants.

In order to guarantee that your application will be considered, you need to sit the LNAT by 20th October 2019 for Oxford, or 20th January 2020 for all the other institutions. If applying to Kings, they encourage their applicants to sit the LNAT by mid December.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone, my LNAT is booked for the 11th of September, is anyone else in a similar position with theirs coming up soon? I am getting quite scared and I don't seem to be improving from doing Past Papers in the books... Any advice?
Hi! Recently I am practising LNAT on Arbitio. Anyone can tell me how much did you get in Arbitio's practise tests and your actual LNAT exam so I can have a reference?

your average in arbitio:
highest/lowest in arbitio:
actual score in LNAT:

thanks a lot!
They’re designed to be significantly harder than the real thing. I know people that were averaging 21 and got near 30.
Mine is 07/10/19.
I now have the daunting feeling that Etonians have been practising for this for the past 5 years of their lives.
When did you start your revision?
Original post by maddiecooke3102
Mine is 07/10/19.
I now have the daunting feeling that Etonians have been practising for this for the past 5 years of their lives.
When did you start your revision?

I did about 5 hours or so the past 2 weeks, but this week I’ve been doing that daily. I’m soooo scared 😂 I don’t feel like revision is getting me anywhere. What have you been doing/ how are you feeling about it?
I have just started intense revision, doing 3-5 practise questions a day.
Considering getting Arbitio, only as I tried their test and got nowhere.
I feel very unprepared, not sure whether a month is a realistic time scale to expect 30+/42.

Do you have any advice, as you are advancing on your exam date?
I have my test on the 27th of September and im really stressed :smile: Are you guys doing anything to practice for MCQs aside from past tests?
Reply 8
I'm applying to Oxford, LSE, UCL, KCL and Bristol. I booked the LNAT on 11th october and I have no idea how to prepare! (I don't want to spend money so can't buy Arbitios or other such resources...)

I did the first official LNAT practice test and got 25/42 :/ I'm saving the second practice test for about a week before test day.

How do I prepare????

And how do I prepare for the essay??? (I suck at essays ... btw I'm an international student)
Original post by magz2001
I'm applying to Oxford, LSE, UCL, KCL and Bristol. I booked the LNAT on 11th october and I have no idea how to prepare! (I don't want to spend money so can't buy Arbitios or other such resources...)

I did the first official LNAT practice test and got 25/42 :/ I'm saving the second practice test for about a week before test day.

How do I prepare????

And how do I prepare for the essay??? (I suck at essays ... btw I'm an international student)

Arbitio has one free test I believe :smile:
I think there’s a forum on here where people help out others with essay advice
25 is a good score. The Lawyer Portal has a huge ass bank of questions for free. Imo they're quite a bit easier than what they should be, but I'm not sure of any other free resources.
(edited 4 years ago)
Technically 54 with the discount code
wait DID YOU SAY 19 THOUSAND:eek:
Reply 13
I'm not your gimp!

*slinks away to find out how to merge threads*
Original post by harrysbar
I'm not your gimp!

No; you are our saviour.

Spoiler

Reply 15
I don't think I'm the saviour type but thanks :smile:
I thought you got beheaded for handling naughty substances there; either there or Aleppo
Original post by blingblingblu
Hi! Recently I am practising LNAT on Arbitio. Anyone can tell me how much did you get in Arbitio's practise tests and your actual LNAT exam so I can have a reference?

your average in arbitio:
highest/lowest in arbitio:
actual score in LNAT:

thanks a lot!

Arbitio Average: 23
Higest/ lowest: 25/19
LNAT Actual score: 27

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
This probably isn’t helpful but I didn’t revise at all for the LNAT.
Mostly because I didn’t see how I could since the questions seemed wildly different.

And I ended up getting 28 on the multiple choice.
Not the best grade but I thought it was good considering the average.

But I didn’t even end up needing the LNAT since I’m now starting at Warwick this year.
Thank you! :biggrin:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest