The Student Room Group

Advice about taking part in studies

Hello! So I will be starting university soon and I need some advice about taking part in studies.

Obviously, it's very likely that I will need a bit of money here and there, so I thought about taking part in paid studies. I don't plan on doing medical trials, but psychological studies.

Naturally, my aim isn't to get rich, but I genuinely enjoy helping research. I also think it's very interesting to see how it works. And if I get paid too, then that's nice. :smile:

I'm currently enrolled in an experiment at the university in my town and it's cool. It's pretty interesting to be honest.

The problem is that my mum doesn't want me to take part in such studies. She says that they will keep my info and use it against me if I ever end up in court in the future.

Is this true? If you have taken part in some studies, can you confirm that it is actually safe to take part in such studies?

I'll be very grateful for your help! :smile:
As a psychology PhD student: your data will be saved (they should tell you how long for at the experiment) but only will be accessible by those involved in the study such as the psychology student and their supervisor (who would be an academic at the uni). There is no way this info goes on any database for anyone else to see let alone use against you in court etc.
Original post by Noodlzzz
As a psychology PhD student: your data will be saved (they should tell you how long for at the experiment) but only will be accessible by those involved in the study such as the psychology student and their supervisor (who would be an academic at the uni). There is no way this info goes on any database for anyone else to see let alone use against you in court etc.

Thank you very much! This is very helpful. Do you know by chance if the data is anonymised?
Original post by CramSchoolKid
Thank you very much! This is very helpful. Do you know by chance if the data is anonymised?

All data will be anonymised. Your contact details may be retained, however, depending on the nature of the study.
Original post by Noodlzzz
All data will be anonymised. Your contact details may be retained, however, depending on the nature of the study.

Alright, I understand now. :smile: Thank you very much for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending