The Student Room Group

Part-time illustration/art university students - advice please!

Hey :smile:

(After finishing first year, I've been on a year-long Leave of Absence from my illustration course because of mental illness, and I'm due to go back this September. My tutor suggested that switching to part-time might be better for me but I can't get a good idea of what that'll look like...?)

As a part-time art student (bonus points if you're on an illustration course), what does your typical week look like?

- How many days a week do you attend class? Are hours flexible?
- Do you attend class with the full-time students or others on part-time?
- If your course required work experience, what did that look like for you?
- What happens with collaborative projects?

These are all things that I'm planning on asking my tutor - and I know experience will vary depending on the university - but I wanted a better idea of what to expect beforehand. I'm super nervous about meeting with her one-on-one and I'm leaning towards leaving the course altogether anyway if part-time doesn't ease my (mostly social) anxiety.

Any information is helpful - thank you, thank you.
Apologies, i'm going to be a bit blunt, but hopefully it's useful advice.

In my experience, having taught in many Universities, part-time students tend to either be 1) very focused, often mature students who fit their studies around a full time job, or parenthood or both. Or 2) they tend to be students who just can't deal with a full-time course. I would suggest you're in the second category. Students in that group often end up graduating, but very rarely actually succeed in their chosen field.

It's such a shame your mental health is affecting your studies, but until you address those issues, you won't make the most of studying - and it's unlikely you'll succeed in a career. If you feel pressure from parents/friends/society/tutors to get a degree, i'd recommend ignoring them. If i were you, i'd go and work for a while, or go travelling etc, whilst seeking medical help. Try to conquer those nerves, and the causes of them, then give studying 100% commitment when you feel more able to take it on.

A huge number of students i speak to are in a similar position to you, and i wish more would consider resting their studies, and give themselves time to 'find themselves' (sorry, it's a bit corny) even if it's working in a cafe for a year. It's fine not to be at Uni. Not everyone is ready for it at age 18/19, so take your time.

Quick Reply

Latest