The Student Room Group

Student Finance England or Welsh Bursary?

Hey!
I am hoping someone may be able to offer some advice as I feel as though im stuck between a rock and a hard place. Im hoping to study at Wrexham in Wales this academic year, and I have the option to take the welsh bursary which pays for the cost of tuition fees with the added stipulation that you have to work for 2 years in Wales and to work 22.5 hours a week. I have a mental and physical health condition, and could only want to work part time (18 hours) Myself and my partner are also on ESA and PIP due to our circumstances. This would also be affected if I was to work 22.5 hours. I have looked into the Student Finance England and I would also qualify to the special students support. It works out I would get an extra 5 thousand a year with SFE, however it could affect our benefits, and I would have the debt of the loans. So I don`t know what to do. The bursary initially looked like the better option regarding long term debt, but now im not so sure?
Any advice would be much appreciated

Jackie :smile:
I'm assuming you are going to study a healthcare course as you are talking about the Welsh NHS bursary? Depending on which course you are taking, you could be eligible for an annual grant of £5,000 from the NHS Learning Support Fund (in addition to your SFE funding) but only if you study at a uni in England. Would this be a better option for you in terms of financial support?

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund-lsf
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
I'm assuming you are going to study a healthcare course as you are talking about the Welsh NHS bursary? Depending on which course you are taking, you could be eligible for an annual grant of £5,000 from the NHS Learning Support Fund (in addition to your SFE funding) but only if you study at a uni in England. Would this be a better option for you in terms of financial support?

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund-lsf

Hey!

I'm studying Occupational Therapy at Wrexham in Wales, so I'm not eligible for the grant. But thanks for your feedback.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending