The Student Room Group

My A level choices

Hello everyone I have just started my A levels and am unsure whether or not I want to change my A-levels. At the moment I am doing Double maths, history and economics. I am thinking of being a lawyer but am unsure. I am also considering a career in science and thats why i would need to change to double maths, chemistry, physics. I can send my GCSE results personally if necessary. I have no idea what to do and the main reason im doing this is im not enjoying economics at all.
Seeing as you've just started your a-levels, and you're already not enjoying economics I'd probably suggest changing over. There is no point in being stuck in a subject you despise for two years. That being said, I started off not liking physics, and by the end it was my favourite of Maths/Biology/Physics/EPQ.

My mother took French English and Maths, got ACE and went on to do Law at Swansea Uni, so I'm unsure as to whether it'd be necessary to continue with your current subjects, if lawyering is your end goal.

Physics and Chemistry are wise choices for science careers. Bear in mind that for some places you have to complete practicals as part of the a-level course, otherwise you won't pass/unis will be less inclined to take you. (There are tips for these online, it's not too daunting, just putting it out there in case you weren't aware...).

If you haven't already, possibly discuss with your tutor, if you have one, or any academics-oriented adults that you may know.

Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by wishiwerenthere
Seeing as you've just started your a-levels, and you're already not enjoying economics I'd probably suggest changing over. There is no point in being stuck in a subject you despise for two years. That being said, I started off not liking physics, and by the end it was my favourite of Maths/Biology/Physics/EPQ.

My mother took French English and Maths, got ACE and went on to do Law at Swansea Uni, so I'm unsure as to whether it'd be necessary to continue with your current subjects, if lawyering is your end goal.

Physics and Chemistry are wise choices for science careers. Bear in mind that for some places you have to complete practicals as part of the a-level course, otherwise you won't pass/unis will be less inclined to take you. (There are tips for these online, it's not too daunting, just putting it out there in case you weren't aware...).

If you haven't already, possibly discuss with your tutor, if you have one, or any academics-oriented adults that you may know.

Best of luck! :smile:

Thank you for the reply. Can i ask what are you doing now and where? Yh i think i will switch up economics for something but am unsure on what. Maybe politics?
I think if you changed economics to physics, your options would be very open still as you could do a maths degree with maths and further, physics with physics, maths and further maths and history, politics or law etc with history. I’m in Year 12, doing maths, physics and history so I just felt I had to reply! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by clarecassar
I think if you changed economics to physics, your options would be very open still as you could do a maths degree with maths and further, physics with physics, maths and further maths and history, politics or law etc with history. I’m in Year 12, doing maths, physics and history so I just felt I had to reply! :smile:

Lol, how are you finding it?, manageable? What are you planning on doing?
Original post by adeebster
Thank you for the reply. Can i ask what are you doing now and where? Yh i think i will switch up economics for something but am unsure on what. Maybe politics?

I'm retaking maths and physics because my grades weren't what I wanted to get into my prefered choice (I hated bio so I couldn't face the misery of taking that again...) [it was due to mental health, so it doesn't affect the integrity of my original reply!!]

I want to go into materials engineering/sciences (MEng/MSci) at the University of Manchester.

Politics could be useful. It'd probably involve the same kind of stuff as law- essays, and construction of arguments?? I'd imagine.

Best of luck :smile:
Lol, how are you finding it?, manageable? What are you planning on doing?

I originally started doing four subjects for 2 weeks as I was trialling between physics and politics and preferred physics so dropped politics yesterday. Very glad I did as I only had 1 free whereas I now have 4. I think I’m doing alright so far, I tend to get all my homework done when it’s set and have been asking for next weeks homework in maths because I get it done about a week early, which is nice to keep on top of things. I didn’t like politics that much, due to the fact that my teacher went through the power point slides really quickly and then asked us to take notes at home. I’d be better off not turning up to lesson if that’s how he teaches so I dropped that. And then, I don’t really want to do another essay subject as I really don’t like them, unless they’re history. What about you - how are you finding things? :smile:
Reply 7
I originally started doing four subjects for 2 weeks as I was trialling between physics and politics and preferred physics so dropped politics yesterday. Very glad I did as I only had 1 free whereas I now have 4. I think I’m doing alright so far, I tend to get all my homework done when it’s set and have been asking for next weeks homework in maths because I get it done about a week early, which is nice to keep on top of things. I didn’t like politics that much, due to the fact that my teacher went through the power point slides really quickly and then asked us to take notes at home. I’d be better off not turning up to lesson if that’s how he teaches so I dropped that. And then, I don’t really want to do another essay subject as I really don’t like them, unless they’re history. What about you - how are you finding things? :smile:

Yh I think its going well, not anything too difficukt yet but we are just beginning... I'm sure it will ramp up in difficulty soon! I think I will change to physics but do you think a university like Cambridge or another top tier uni would accept me with only one essay subject? I'm not sure about all this so any help would be awesome. What are you planning to do after A-levels?
Reply 8
Original post by wishiwerenthere
I'm retaking maths and physics because my grades weren't what I wanted to get into my prefered choice (I hated bio so I couldn't face the misery of taking that again...) [it was due to mental health, so it doesn't affect the integrity of my original reply!!]

I want to go into materials engineering/sciences (MEng/MSci) at the University of Manchester.

Politics could be useful. It'd probably involve the same kind of stuff as law- essays, and construction of arguments?? I'd imagine.

Cool man, Best of luck in the future and I don't think i'd really enjoy politics I don't know much about it either. So if I'd still get into a good uni for history with double maths, physics and history it would be perfect I think. What do you think?
Yh I think its going well, not anything too difficukt yet but we are just beginning... I'm sure it will ramp up in difficulty soon! I think I will change to physics but do you think a university like Cambridge or another top tier uni would accept me with only one essay subject? I'm not sure about all this so any help would be awesome. What are you planning to do after A-levels?

Really unsure. I was thinking with maths and physics, I could do an apprenticeship in accounting or perhaps something science based. But then if I wanted to do a degree, I’d probably apply to do history.
I’m also doing an EPQ which is a 5000 word essay so I suppose that’ll count towards an essay based subject, plus it’s half an a level so you get more UCAS points. I’d suggest taking up that if you are allowed to at your school.
I don’t think it matters too much because on both the Cambridge and Oxford websites, there are no entry requirements for Law, they just saying taking an essay subject would be useful to you. And if you have 3/4 facilitating subjects anyway, I’m sure it wouldn’t matter too much because they demonstrate a wide range of skills in particularly difficult subjects.
I’d say keep history, purely for the sake of keeping your options open and I wouldn’t suggest doing four science subjects because that can limit your career path to science, so history and then your pick between physics, chemistry, maths and further maths. I’d definitely recommend doing one essay subject for law in summary. :smile:

Maths, Physics and History would be great subjects for Law at Cambridge or other top unis. It would also keep your options open for lots of other careers such as Engineering (including Medical Engineering).
Reply 11
Original post by harrysbar
Maths, Physics and History would be great subjects for Law at Cambridge or other top unis. It would also keep your options open for lots of other careers such as Engineering (including Medical Engineering).

Ok thank you, would it also be good for history at uni then i would a law conversion course. I think this combination looks good to me though.
Reply 12
Really unsure. I was thinking with maths and physics, I could do an apprenticeship in accounting or perhaps something science based. But then if I wanted to do a degree, I’d probably apply to do history.
I’m also doing an EPQ which is a 5000 word essay so I suppose that’ll count towards an essay based subject, plus it’s half an a level so you get more UCAS points. I’d suggest taking up that if you are allowed to at your school.
I don’t think it matters too much because on both the Cambridge and Oxford websites, there are no entry requirements for Law, they just saying taking an essay subject would be useful to you. And if you have 3/4 facilitating subjects anyway, I’m sure it wouldn’t matter too much because they demonstrate a wide range of skills in particularly difficult subjects.
I’d say keep history, purely for the sake of keeping your options open and I wouldn’t suggest doing four science subjects because that can limit your career path to science, so history and then your pick between physics, chemistry, maths and further maths. I’d definitely recommend doing one essay subject for law in summary. :smile:

My school is making me do an EPQ as well so yh. Good look in the future though whatever you do. Yh i think these subjects are the ones for me. However I was htinking i'd do history at university then later do a law conversion course. I'm not really sure yet though.
Thanks.
Ok thank you, would it also be good for history at uni then i would a law conversion course. I think this combination looks good to me though.

Yes, it would be fine for History and you could then convert to Law at a later stage
Hello everyone I have just started my A levels and am unsure whether or not I want to change my A-levels. At the moment I am doing Double maths, history and economics. I am thinking of being a lawyer but am unsure. I am also considering a career in science and thats why i would need to change to double maths, chemistry, physics. I can send my GCSE results personally if necessary. I have no idea what to do and the main reason im doing this is im not enjoying economics at all.

Hiya, don't worry I'm sure loads of people are in the same position! If you're seriously thinking of law, they usually recommend doing an essay based subject and so history is a really great choice. If you're not enjoying economics, I'd honestly just say change it; you still have your maths and if you drop economics you could take up chemistry or physics (like you said) that would get you into a science career. With what you have at the minute, I don't know if that's science-y enough, if you know what I mean.

No doors are closed to you at the minute; even if you wanted to change them all I'm sure you'd be able to. Pretend you haven't already chosen your subjects and have a look at your GCSE results and A-Level course descriptions to see which ones immediately take your interest. Chances are, the ones that you enjoy and interest you the most are the ones you'll do best in! I've just started y12 too, so I'm more than happy to speak more to you about this.
Reply 15
Original post by _dancer01_
Hiya, don't worry I'm sure loads of people are in the same position! If you're seriously thinking of law, they usually recommend doing an essay based subject and so history is a really great choice. If you're not enjoying economics, I'd honestly just say change it; you still have your maths and if you drop economics you could take up chemistry or physics (like you said) that would get you into a science career. With what you have at the minute, I don't know if that's science-y enough, if you know what I mean.

No doors are closed to you at the minute; even if you wanted to change them all I'm sure you'd be able to. Pretend you haven't already chosen your subjects and have a look at your GCSE results and A-Level course descriptions to see which ones immediately take your interest. Chances are, the ones that you enjoy and interest you the most are the ones you'll do best in! I've just started y12 too, so I'm more than happy to speak more to you about this.

Ok thanks, I think double maths and history for sure appeal to me. it's just the 3rd i'm unsure about, ATM it will probably be physics. Can I ask what you are doing for your A-levels now?
Cool man, Best of luck in the future and I don't think i'd really enjoy politics I don't know much about it either. So if I'd still get into a good uni for history with double maths, physics and history it would be perfect I think. What do you think?

I reckon that should be good! Just make sure when answering questions in physics that a) you think it's asking you what it is asking you b) the information you think you have is the information you have :wink: save yourself some marks!!

Quick Reply

Latest