The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Scroll to see replies

psanghaLFC
Just a question simply out of interest, how does STEP grades collorate with getting 1sts, 2.1, 2.2,3,U at Warwick? At Cambridge i've heard the colloration is very high.

Well i failed both step 2 and 3 and got firsts in the first and second year, so no correlation from what i've seen! The question difficulty at warwick basically expands on A-level difficulty in the first year with a few modules - analysis and linear algebra having a bigger emphasis on memorising proofs. Then in the second year the question difficulty gets harder, but still manageable. So basically not on the level of step papers. Here is an example exam paper which is probably the hardest module in the first year:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Do lots of people at warwick get S in STEP papers?
Reply 42
Do you have any more lecture notes? I didn't get any reading lists for MORSE :frown:
Narev
Do you have any more lecture notes? I didn't get any reading lists for MORSE :frown:

I have access to all maths module lecture notes and some stats/probability if they exist. People can feel free to make requests if they so wish and i will try to put them up.

Here is probability A and B. A is slightly outdated as the course has recently changed, and B is more like revision notes style but i'm afraid to say that this is exactly what the lectures are like!
IrrationalNumber
Do lots of people at warwick get S in STEP papers?

i haven't heard of any myself but there probably are some out there somewhere! Then again, if they get an S grade they would surely go to Cambridge :biggrin:
Yeah I'd of assumed anyone expecting an S would apply for cambridge. Then again I think cambridge is college based, not campus based, and I much prefer the campus based ones, because you get your own area and then you get the nearby town/city to invade too :biggrin:
If the lectures are mostly like revision notes do you have to do alot of work in your own time to understand it fully, or can you just learn what you're told?
Also how much stats type stuff do you do in the first year and is it anymore interesting than A-level stats? We only did S1 and it was sooooo boring, not helped by having a teacher who looked about ready to fall asleep.
I dont know many peoples STEP grade at Warwick, but a friend of mine got S in STEP and was rejected from Cambridge

benwellsday
Yeah I'd of assumed anyone expecting an S would apply for cambridge. Then again I think cambridge is college based, not campus based, and I much prefer the campus based ones, because you get your own area and then you get the nearby town/city to invade too :biggrin:
If the lectures are mostly like revision notes do you have to do alot of work in your own time to understand it fully, or can you just learn what you're told?
Also how much stats type stuff do you do in the first year and is it anymore interesting than A-level stats? We only did S1 and it was sooooo boring, not helped by having a teacher who looked about ready to fall asleep.

From what I remember, Probability A is compulsory and Probability B is 'List A', theres also other stats courses available like Stat Lab and Games and Decisions. The flexibility of the course means that you can pick and choose which modules you do with quite a lot of freedom (especially in later years).
Reply 47
Thanks England Captain :smile:
Totally Tom
im doing 38 :biggrin:

Morrisons FTW

where u at?

At a utility company. Missing all the tennis!!
Random notes by request, intro to geometry slightly old, but as far as i can tell it is essentially the exact same course:
Mechanics (games and decisions was too big to put up it seems)
Here is a link to the analysis 1 workbooks, i don't know if you guys can actually access it though!

http://www.warwick.ac.uk/~masdbd/analysis/

Is the distribution of this stuff actually legal?
Reply 52
England Captain
Here is a link to the analysis 1 workbooks, i don't know if you guys can actually access it though!

Yup it can be accessed. I hope it is legal, wouldn't want you to get into trouble for uploading these files. Anyway, thanks again for these notes :smile:
Reply 53
we can access those work books captain, thanks.

now off to the school library to print about 500 pages...
Reply 54
Seriously, you guys should just relax during the holidays. Maybe take a quick look at some of the basics of Analysis I (epsilon-delta definition of convergence) but apart from that, just enjoy the summer and don't worry about all this material you'll be learning anyway in the few months to come.
If anyone else is like me then they'll have way too much time over summer and need something to keep them busy after going from non-stop revision to all of a sudden doing nothing all day and sleeping in till 1pm.
I'm looking through the notes for interest, but I'm not bothered about understanding or learning it properly just yet. Everyone says things are easier the second time round anyway.
Reply 56
Same here. Though I have had way too much time, since I had to serve two years in the military, hence I'd like to see the notes to gauge the difficulty and compare with A level syllabus..and to see how to transition back into studying life.
Reply 57
England Captain
For the ones that are openly hosted by the author of the notes then there is obviously no problem. For the ones that aren't, they might ask you to take them down.
Kolya
For the ones that are openly hosted by the author of the notes then there is obviously no problem. For the ones that aren't, they might ask you to take them down.

hmm, i'd like to think that they would encourage learning maths outside of university life.
Reply 59
UCL (my insurance) sent me some stuff as well. I thought their material was a bit better to be honest - it included a book list, list of topics we ought to know, revision notes and exercises. The exercises were very standard C3/C4 questions though - I could do all of it within seconds :biggrin:. They also offered everyone to go on a bridging course (£100) in September but I think it's for people who didn't do further maths/mechanics as it's covering all the fundamental further maths concepts.

Latest