The Student Room Group

Do foundation years give you an upper hand?

I am currently in the middle of my engineering foundation year (don’t think I should be doing one tbh, but had no choice unfortunately). I’m currently averaging around 85%-90% (likely to increase) across all my subjects. I’ve heard that students who take foundation years (and specifically those who do well in them) tend to perform better in their degree than their peers who don’t? Is this true? And if so, why might this be the case, and to what extent is it true?

Ideally, I’d like to hear that I haven’t wasted a year of my life lol. 🥲
Your university should be able to give you the stats on this for your specific course.
Reply 2
If you've taken those subjects at A Level then maybe it would give you an advantage as you've had an extra year to digest the content. From a cold start probably not as a foundation course can't possibly cover everything compared to traditional A Levels.

I did a foundation year in Engineering having not studied A Levels at all. Despite doing well on year 0 my maths was poor, particularly in Calculus, and it took a lot of extra work to catch up.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 3
how you finding you FY ? 🙂 Im doing one myself and same as you feel like im lowkey wasting a year haha
Reply 4
Original post by ColdP
how you finding you FY ? 🙂 Im doing one myself and same as you feel like im lowkey wasting a year haha

Get the reading list for year 1 and start smashing the content now. Use your time wisely.
Reply 5
Original post by ScottH24
Get the reading list for year 1 and start smashing the content now. Use your time wisely.

wdym by reading list? I'm doing a engineering one, do you mean module content or..
Reply 6
Original post by uvwv
I am currently in the middle of my engineering foundation year (don’t think I should be doing one tbh, but had no choice unfortunately). I’m currently averaging around 85%-90% (likely to increase) across all my subjects. I’ve heard that students who take foundation years (and specifically those who do well in them) tend to perform better in their degree than their peers who don’t? Is this true? And if so, why might this be the case, and to what extent is it true?

Ideally, I’d like to hear that I haven’t wasted a year of my life lol. 🥲

Where are you doing ur foundation year, and do u feel any different from the first years?
Im thinking of doing one as i’m not doing a level maths

Quick Reply

Latest